TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Bring back Kinzel

How about no. Kinzel was beyond ready to retire by the time he did. Sure he helped bring record-breaking coasters is to all of the parks, but Ouimet is doing a fantastic job with rounding out the park's lineup and bring a better overall welcoming atmosphere. It's almost a quality over quantity discussion with comparing the two. Sure we all aren't too impressed with nearly every park receiving a B&M in recent years, but they are still smart investments for the parks regardless of an enthusiast's opinion of them. Ouimet is a worthy, if not better, successor to Kinzel. Cedar Fair will still be innovative and record-breaking, just maybe not with Intamin for a while.

^the station looks like a Monster energy drink can. Makes me wish they just started from scratch on the station but oh well... I am looking forward to riding Rougarou during Coasting for Kids, at least it will be way better than the torture that was Mantis!

Bring back Kinzel
Cedar Fair will still be innovative and record-breaking, just maybe not with Intamin for a while.

They haven't done anything innovative since Maverick, IMO. And I feel like under Kinzel RMC would've already had their influence at Cedar Fair parks instead of just one B&M after the next *yawn*

Bring back Kinzel
Cedar Fair will still be innovative and record-breaking, just maybe not with Intamin for a while.

They haven't done anything innovative since Maverick, IMO. And I feel like under Kinzel RMC would've already had their influence at Cedar Fair parks instead of just one B&M after the next *yawn*

In that case, Kinzel had 2008-2012 to innovate and the park wound up with a log flume that doesn't work correctly, a tower swing ride that doesn't work correctly, some Christmas lights, and some animatronic dinosaurs. If he was still around the hotel would still suck and you'd probably still be getting B&Ms.

This is kind of a stupid argument. No, Cedar Point hasn't really created anything notably "innovative" in the last few years, but they've also only added one coaster in the last eight years. I'd actually have a hard time calling Maverick innovative. Yes, it's very unique, it's a great ride, very intense, very different than most coasters, but not new technology. Plenty of coasters beforehand went beyond vertical, two launches, overbanks, etc. Quick transitions are not an innovation.

Anyways, that's besides the point. Is it EVER realistic to expect every single new coaster to be innovative? That's how you end up with flops like the original Bat at Kings Island. MF and Dragster were innovative, sure.

Actually, looking further into this, the Mantis/Rougarou conversion could be considered innovative. First of its kind conversion. Something new, never done before.

End of the day, we don't know what would have happened the last few years with Kinzel still in charge. However, you can't blame Ouimet for anything up to this point. Cedar Point, in my view, has been wildly successful since Kinzel handed over the keys. On top of that, the chain has been successful. Let's face it--Fury 325 probably wouldn't be a thing with Kinzel in charge.

This is kind of a stupid argument. No, Cedar Point hasn't really created anything notably "innovative" in the last few years, but they've also only added one coaster in the last eight years. I'd actually have a hard time calling Maverick innovative. Yes, it's very unique, it's a great ride, very intense, very different than most coasters, but not new technology. Plenty of coasters beforehand went beyond vertical, two launches, overbanks, etc. Quick transitions are not an innovation.

Anyways, that's besides the point. Is it EVER realistic to expect every single new coaster to be innovative? That's how you end up with flops like the original Bat at Kings Island. MF and Dragster were innovative, sure.

Actually, looking further into this, the Mantis/Rougarou conversion could be considered innovative. First of its kind conversion. Something new, never done before.

End of the day, we don't know what would have happened the last few years with Kinzel still in charge. However, you can't blame Ouimet for anything up to this point. Cedar Point, in my view, has been wildly successful since Kinzel handed over the keys. On top of that, the chain has been successful. Let's face it--Fury 325 probably wouldn't be a thing with Kinzel in charge.

Just because new technology isnt used doesn't mean a ride can't be innovative. Magnum XL didnt use any new technology, yet its one of the most iconic rides of all time. And Maverick is without doubt a trend-setter in today's amusement world. The mega-lites, i305, Skyrush, LR are all derivatives of Maverick. Maverick was a curveball thrown in the midst bigger, taller, faster wars. Suddenly we're seeing parks install more compact yet intense rides rides that stay low to the ground.

Just because new technology isnt used doesn't mean a ride can't be innovative. Magnum XL didnt use any new technology, yet its one of the most iconic rides of all time. And Maverick is without doubt a trend-setter in today's amusement world. The mega-lites, i305, Skyrush, LR are all derivatives of Maverick. Maverick was a curveball thrown in the midst bigger, taller, faster wars. Suddenly we're seeing parks install more compact yet intense rides rides that stay low to the ground.

Calling I-305 and Skyrush derivatives of Maverick and showing them as examples of rides that "stay low to the ground" seems kinda hilarious to me. Maverick is a very good ride that expanded and combined what the spaghetti bowl coasters from Premier and California Screamin' had done. You can even say it is really derivative of Powderkeg if you want. But I also don't see it having changed that much about what's come since now that Cedar Fair has built three giga coasters and the RMC rides have taken off. IIRC it barely moved the attendance needle in 2007 too, probably because Cedar Fair under Kinzel didn't know how to market a ride that wasn't the biggest/tallest/fastest anything.

Calling I-305 and Skyrush derivatives of Maverick and showing them as examples of rides that "stay low to the ground" seems kinda hilarious to me. Maverick is a very good ride that expanded and combined what the spaghetti bowl coasters from Premier and California Screamin' had done. You can even say it is really derivative of Powderkeg if you want. But I also don't see it having changed that much about what's come since now that Cedar Fair has built three giga coasters and the RMC rides have taken off. IIRC it barely moved the attendance needle in 2007 too, probably because Cedar Fair under Kinzel didn't know how to market a ride that wasn't the biggest/tallest/fastest anything.

Me calling i305 and Skyrush derivatives of Maverick may be hilarious to YOU but doesnt mean it isn't true. Sandor Kernacs (of Intamin) is even on record saying this. And i305 and especially Skyrush do stay relatively low to the ground when you compare the height of their respective first drops and the remainder if their courses.

And you're going way out into orbit regarding attendance etc; I never said the current Cedar Fair higher-ups were making bad business decisions. I merely stated how I felt Kinzel kept Cedar Point cutting edge when it came to major coasters, which he did! Without him, there'd be no Magnum, MF, or TTD. Simple as that!

Yeah I remember watching a podcast or something about i305 when it was being built, and one of the people being interviewed said something along the lines of "We were trying to combine the strengths of Millennium Force with the strengths of Maverick."

I belive you are talking about this documentary:

^^Thank You for directing the topic away from the strange philosophical innovation debate as of recent.

From several pictures floating around, Hotel Breakers has seen more than just a new coat of paint and some new furniture. Basically it was gutted from the inside and refreshed on the outside almost to the point you can hardly recognize what it was before. Lot's of new amenities as well. Until now, the place probably didn't look too much different from the 1970s version. In my opinion, this project will have a much larger long-term impact on Cedar Point than any of their recent attractions projects. Perfecting the overall guest experience is what will drive repeat business, as new coasters are typically more of a flash in the pan.

Yeah I remember watching a podcast or something about i305 when it was being built, and one of the people being interviewed said something along the lines of "We were trying to combine the strengths of Millennium Force with the strengths of Maverick."

I belive you are talking about this documentary:

That's the one! Thanks, that was actually pretty enjoyable to re-watch, especially now that I've actually been on the ride.