TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well that looks... Dirty...

I don't want to speculate too much, I do find it interesting that they took down the building so early... Was there a reason why they took it down other than future attractions (possibly damage of some sort)? Just seems odd, it sitting there dormant does nothing to the visitors eye, but now everyone is going to be wondering about it all season!

^ Maybe that's exactly why they're starting so early? It may be easier to remove it this offseason before they become limited on time and schedule. With a construction site from the beginning of the season, guests will take notice; perhaps this is what they want. Make it obvious something major is on the horizon to spark some more interest and make people talk about it and want to come back. Free, almost unintentional marketing for an unbuilt future attraction. *cough cough BGW*

Good point! It would also make sense for time constraint, now that I'm thinking more about it. Once they want to get started, they can work on prep work, instead of demolition... And with a short building season, it makes senses, especially if they are planning on reroutingnthe road in the off season next winter!

What would constitute full scale? I have to say I was hoping for a fair bit higher when I heard the 223' statistic from the dive machine leak a bit ago, but the layout described sounded great. I know there are a lot of detractors, but I think a dive machine could be a good thing if executed properly. I am very excited about the future of CP, moves like the Mantis conversion and Maverick restraints (which could bring it to #1 for me) show the park is listening to the people and taking opportunities to improve their existing coasters. Hints about a promising 5-year plan have been dropped as well, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 2016 coaster.

500+ ft. dive coaster perhaps? Let's see what happens...

*grabs popcorn and waits for impending argument*

I think the dive machine is just to throw us off

-CP is normally pretty good with keeping things tight lipped. I think that this just slipped is almost too good to be true.

- I think they might want the 500ft record before that Orlando Tower thing is built. If they are going for 500 I don't think B&M will really go that large and just skip 400 ft.

-B&M's go up too quick for them to be prepping for a dive coaster this quick. What ever they are doing it is going to be big!

What would constitute full scale? I have to say I was hoping for a fair bit higher when I heard the 223' statistic from the dive machine leak a bit ago, but the layout described sounded great. I know there are a lot of detractors, but I think a dive machine could be a good thing if executed properly. I am very excited about the future of CP, moves like the Mantis conversion and Maverick restraints (which could bring it to #1 for me) show the park is listening to the people and taking opportunities to improve their existing coasters. Hints about a promising 5-year plan have been dropped as well, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 2016 coaster.

But why male models?

^They aren't that good at keeping secrets for example GateKeeper and the Sandusky register leak.

Yeah, that. I don't think anyone should be expecting anything 500' + unless they decide to go that direction for 2020 and the 150th anniversary.

I think the Sandusky Register leak was legit. 223 (?) seems like a good size for a Dive Coaster, although I was hoping for something around 300 being a spoiled fan of Cedar Point. For 2020, I'd expect something that one ups Millennium Force and Fury 325. Why do I think that? They are already talking about 2020 being a huge year.

The Register does have a track record at this point. I found it crazy that 2020 is already being talked up here and there as well, definitely has me intrigued. I am wondering if it will be something relatively low to the ground but that will nab speed and length records. As for the male models, David Duchovny can fill you in:

^They aren't that good at keeping secrets for example GateKeeper and the Sandusky register leak.

That's only one leaked ride, They haven't leaked anything the past 2 years (except thing on purpose) and I can' think of anything before that. I kindof agree that the leaked memo was fake. There's just to many questions unanswered. How did they even get it? Why was there a memo with only stats about the ride? It's not like B&M was planning on leaving CP in the dark.

To be entirely fair to both parties, Cedar Point hasn't had a lot of their upcoming rides leaked in recent years. But then also, in recent years there weren't always rides to leak. It is possible that Sandusky Register was told about the plans for Starlight Experience and just didn't print them because, you know, it was stupid. More than likely because of all the issues involving permits and so on, this would be more likely to leak than, say, a new water slide for Soak City.

From a BGWFans post

I don't know where else to say this, but there was a man in a black windbreaker that said "Cedar Fair VP of _____" on the breast, I couldn't make it out what it said in the time I saw him. This was by Griffon. I do not believe this supports any acquisition rumor, but rather that they were casing Griffon e because Cedar Point is getting a dive coaster next year.