TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Magnum is my favorite coaster in the park. I recommend sitting in the second to last row. The middle row of any car will give you a significantly smoother ride since you're not directly over a wheel, and the first two drops are much better in the back of the train. Most importantly, don't staple yourself and you'll have a great ride

^Thank you so much! I honestly have no idea about some of their rides at Cedar Point and Gemini looked pretty interesting on how they seem to race each other. If the line is super long I probably won't do it. I will have 2.5 days there and want to get everything done that I want to get done and lots of re-rides. As for Magnum, I've heard of some mixed reviews of the ride from the restraints to some roughness. But it's a giant coaster over 200 feet and I kind of want to ride it haha. Thanks for the advice!

If you're there for 2.5 days you should ride everything. Besides the coasters I would say Windseeker, Skyhawk and Maxair and Cedar Downs are all must rides and I highly recommend making use of the train and the Sky Ride as much as possible as 2.5 days at the park is extremely tiring as it's a huge place. The Sky Ride generally has a line all the way to the bottom of the ramp but the line moves very fast so it's a great way to get off your feet for awhile.

I love Power Tower too as it never has a line. Also if you don't love Witches Wheel then you're a bad person... you should feel bad. Yes, you.

Keep an eye on wind by the way, if you know one of your days will be windy (anything over 15 - 20 MPH on the weather report) it's likely that Sky Ride, Windseeker, Gatekeeper, Raptor and Dragster will close so plan accordingly.

With 2.5 days you should have no problem riding everything though with or without Fastlane.

Just a few general tips.

- Don't ride Gatekeeper or Raptor in the morning. You can ride them during early entry but don't do it once the park opens to the public. The lines will be WAY shorter later in the day.

- Ride Dragster in the front at least once. It's worth the extra hour wait.

- Ride Raptor in the front because the line is rarely more than 1 train longer for the front.

- Blue Streak can actually be pretty brutal in the wrong seat. Ride in the MIDDLE ROW of any car and you'll love it though.

- Mean Streak is really smooth if you sit in the very front car and lean forward keeping your back completely off the seat back. It' a stupid way to ride a coaster but it works every time.

- Since you mentioned Gemeni, wait until about noon to ride Gemeni as they usually don't race it first thing in the morning.

- If it starts raining it might be best to just walk around Frontier Trail for awhile and wait for it to stop because the rain policies on the coasters are pure idiocy. Wicked Twister is probably your best bet but even that may be closed. Mantis always used to run but Rougarou will have 3 trains rather than 2, occupying more blocks and probably putting an end to that.

- The food is all terrible so only eat at Franchises that they brought in like Chick Fil A. Famous Daves in the Marina and TGI Fridays at Breakers are great though, I recommend sitting outside at both restaurants.

If Magnum doesn't have enough airtime for you, you are the problem. Magnum has insain airtime. Infact, many people think the airtime on the return run is TOO intense (But then say GK is forceless ).

Maggie is arguably one of the best coasters in the park. In my opinion, its likely one of the best coasters in the world. But then again, I'm a big fan of Arrows.

If Magnum doesn't have enough airtime for you, you are the problem. Magnum has insain airtime. Infact, many people think the airtime on the return run is TOO intense (But then say GK is forceless ).

Magnum is arguably one of the best coasters in the park. In my opinion, its likely one of the best coasters in the world. But then again, I'm a big fan of Arrows.

Well, maybe I am the problem. I'm not saying I dislike Magnum by any means, in fact I went back for re-rides. What I am saying is that even with all these re-rides, I just didn't "get" Magnum. For me, there was no airtime to speak on the first curving airtime hill, and the long hill before the turnaround was slightly better, but just light and floaty, not extreme by any stretch of the imagination. The return bunny hops just didn't deliver to me. I much prefer the bunny hops on B&M hypers.

Maybe I caught in on a bad day- the day I got re-rides was rainy, overcast and about 70 degrees. There was only one train running, but I ride on what I was told is the "magic seat," 1-3. Nothing about the ride felt "extreme" to me (Maverick's two airtime hills are what I would call more extreme), and none of the hills were any more than floater airtime.

Not saying Magnum's a bad ride at all, and if it's your favorite ride at the park (or even your favorite coaster), that's great, I'm glad you really enjoy it. That means is shorter lines for you while I'm riding Millennium Force and Maverick.

Magnum is arguably one of the best coasters in the park. In my opinion, its likely one of the best coasters in the world. But then again, I'm a big fan of Arrows.

Well, maybe I am the problem. I'm not saying I dislike Magnum by any means, in fact I went back for re-rides. What I am saying is that even with all these re-rides, I just didn't "get" Magnum. For me, there was no airtime to speak on the first curving airtime hill, and the long hill before the turnaround was slightly better, but just light and floaty, not extreme by any stretch of the imagination. The return bunny hops just didn't deliver to me. I much prefer the bunny hops on B&M hypers.

Maybe I caught in on a bad day- the day I got re-rides was rainy, overcast and about 70 degrees. There was only one train running, but I ride on what I was told is the "magic seat," 1-3. Nothing about the ride felt "extreme" to me (Maverick's two airtime hills are what I would call more extreme), and none of the hills were any more than floater airtime.

Not saying Magnum's a bad ride at all, and if it's your favorite ride at the park (or even your favorite coaster), that's great, I'm glad you really enjoy it. That means is shorter lines for you while I'm riding Millennium Force and Maverick.

I will agree on the first few hills being a bit light on the airtime. However, I think they were designed to feel huge rather than deliver air. The return run is where they give you the airtime. The 1-3 magnum seat is a myth. Try riding in the middle row of the last car (6-2). Smooths out the ride and changes some of the sharp ejector that some people complain about into more suitable ejector. I think you'll enjoy it more of you give it a ride there.

Magnum is not a fan of the rain. The first rain drop closes it because of the nature of its safety brakes unless they go down to one train. I would avoid maggie on a rainy day because even if it does open, she doesn't ride well.

I hope next time you have a better experience.

I am wondering of the people that love this coaster; how tall are you? I am 6' tall and found the lap bars way too tight. Kind of made any airtime less enjoyable.

Well thank you so much about all of the information! I just get more and more excited for it! Magnum in the back sounds awesome. I will probably aim for the Front or back of Raptor. I am definitely wanting to do a front and back of Millennium Force and I want a front row of Top Thrill Dragster. I'll probably do front and back of Wicked Twister. Front of Maverick. Front and back of Gatekeeper (one on one side and one on the other). Front of Blue Streak. Front of Mean Streak (if I even want to ride it).

If there is one thing I'm worried about it is the weather. Hopefully the rain and wind won't be a factor on my trip!

Again thank you all for all of this advice! Very excited for June!

I'm heading there this year as well. The rides I'm looking most forward to are:

1. Blue Streak

2. Mean Streak

3. Magnum XL 200

4. Rougarou

5. GateKeeper

6. Corkscrew

7. Millennium Force

8. Maverick

Do you have any ideas on how to accomplish these rides in a quick manner? (I can't afford FastLane)

I am wondering of the people that love this coaster; how tall are you? I am 6' tall and found the lap bars way too tight. Kind of made any airtime less enjoyable.

Im a shorter guy at 5'6. I find that a non-wheel seat reduces the amount of thigh pain to well within my own tolerance. Not saying that the coaster is a B&M Hyper by any stretch of the imagination in reguards to smoothness, but it certainly more intense than any of them. The seats didnt orginally have padding and once it was added it didnt leave much room for... well.. riders. I could see it being a tough ride for the taller among us.

Well thank you so much about all of the information! I just get more and more excited for it! Magnum in the back sounds awesome. I will probably aim for the Front or back of Raptor. I am definitely wanting to do a front and back of Millennium Force and I want a front row of Top Thrill Dragster. I'll probably do front and back of Wicked Twister. Front of Maverick. Front and back of Gatekeeper (one on one side and one on the other). Front of Blue Streak. Front of Mean Streak (if I even want to ride it).

If there is one thing I'm worried about it is the weather. Hopefully the rain and wind won't be a factor on my trip!

I would also strongly recommend a back row ride on Maverick as well cause even though Maverick is amazing in the front the back is really good on this ride as I feel you are thrown over the first drop giving amazing airtime.

1. Blue Streak

2. Mean Streak

3. Magnum XL 200

4. Rougarou

5. GateKeeper

6. Corkscrew

7. Millennium Force

8. Maverick

Do you have any ideas on how to accomplish these rides in a quick manner? (I can't afford FastLane)

That's an interesting order for the rides you're most looking forward to... you've probably already got your plans set, but judging by your signature you'd be better off at Kings Island a few hours down the road. If you're set on Cedar Point, you probably won't have much issue with lines at Blue Streak, Mean Streak, Magnum, or Corkscrew. Just avoid the big name rides during peak hours (mid-afternoon) and ride Gatekeeper in the afternoon. If you have early entry, I'd say Maverick and Millennium Force/Rougarou would be good starting points.

Don't set your hopes too high for Mean Streak and Corkscrew. I don't know that I've seen someone more excited for those than MF and Maverick, but it's your trip. Just letting you know.

I would also strongly recommend a back row ride on Maverick as well cause even though Maverick is amazing in the front the back is really good on this ride as I feel you are thrown over the first drop giving amazing airtime.

Noted! I do plan on doing some re-rides on some of these. I'll definitely try out the back!

1. Blue Streak

2. Mean Streak

3. Magnum XL 200

4. Rougarou

5. GateKeeper

6. Corkscrew

7. Millennium Force

8. Maverick

Simple advice I would give is hustle around the park and don't dilly dally. I never buy any sort of skip the line passes at any parks and never have any problems. When I was at Cedar Point last year on a Saturday got on everything in 1 day easily with plenty of re-rides and still had time. Just have a plan of attack and stick to it. Your legs can be your best friends at a park if used properly.

I love Magnum and it's one of my favorite coasters. I only sit in row 6-1, which is the first row in the last car. I always get a smooth ride and lots of pain free airtime. Everyone I have recommended 6-1 to has had good rides. Hopefully you guys will too.

Maverick is fun in any row, but the last row is the best.

Magnum is a bit painful but it's an enjoyable coaster. I'm 6'1 and get a ton of airtime on those return bunny hops. Still, it's pretty far down my list of Cedar Point coasters.

1.) Maverick

2.) Dragster

3.) Millennium

4.) GateKeeper

5.) Raptor

6.) Wicked Twister

7.) Magnum

I would say get Maverick done as soon as possible that line can get long quick, plus they'll have the new soft restraints which could take a little longer to load we'll see. It is hard to start at it since it's at the back of the park but you can always enter through one of the other entrances ala the marina entrance or the resort entrance to get a head start on beating people back there.

Why would soft restraints affect capacity? It's not like they're adding seatbelts, so the loading times should be more or less the same, right?

They will be exactly the same loading time if they are like the ones on I305. Unless somebody knows a reason why these would be more difficult to use for guests (of a larger size? Hard to use seatbelt clip?) I can't see softer restrains creating any kind of difference in capacity.

For the Early Entry...are there generally a lot of people? Also, what ride should I hit first for Early Entry? Rougarou maybe since it is new?

Every time I go, Raptor is a walf on for like the entirety of the hour. I usually don't hit Gatekeeper at this time so I wouldn't know. Millenium is usually the biggest draw and you might wait 15-20 minutes. Rougarou should probably be 10-15 considering its new, but has awesome capacity. Maverick is usually pretty short.