TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

In most parks, mean streak would be a big attraction. Biggest problem is that it is tucked back in the corner of a big park, and is way over shadowed by some big name coasters. Does it crack the top 10 in numbers? Clearly not. But look what is a head of it.

Mean Streak is such a monstrous structure. It really is massive. I remember the "wow" factor the year it opened. However, after the countless modifications and neuterings, it delivers a sub par ride. In my opinion, it's a no brainer to bring in RMC and let them have their way with it. It could easily be a top coaster at the park if this were to happen, all while saving money from demolition and rebuilding.

I still think that "leaked" dive coaster rumor from the Sandusky Register could be true. Whenever they've released unannounced park info before, it pretty much turns out to be accurate.

But as whole, I'm going to say that it's for that midway expansion idea I've had for a few years. Cedars Dorms will also come down, Perimeter Rd will be rerouted, and a new midway will connect the Blue Streak midway from Calypso's current location to near the bleachers in Celebration Plaza. This is just one rough possible idea of what it could be. As you can see, having a whole multi year expansion in addition to the dive coaster is possible...I'm not the best at Photoshop and stuff like that but I inserted an image of Sheikra and it fits perfectly and still allows for plenty of room. The blue indicates the Perimeter Road reroute, the red indicates the new midway, you can obviously see the image of Sheikra and how it does not even interfere with Cadillac Cars and Raptor, and then the green areas indicate free space for future attractions.

[attachment=0]cp.jpg[/attachment]

This is a great idea. I feel that the Blue Streak is kind of forgotten back there. You see it when you come in, and in line for Raptor, but the entrance is sort of hidden. If they moved the entrance to the right (looking at station) and had a bridge to cross over the coaster and into the queue that could help the visibility of it with the new midway expansion.

Whatever is going to happen, it looks like it's going to take a lot of space!

Cedar Point has updated their Fast Lane ride listings/prices. In 2015, regular Fast Lane does NOT include

1) GateKeeper, 2) Top Thrill Dragster, 3) Maverick, and, notably, 4) Rougarou

Regular FL starts at $55 while FL+ starts at $75

To me, this is a bit of a disappointment. I've done a trip to CP each of the last two summers. In 2013 I got FL regular on July weekend for $65, which excluded Gatekeeper and Dragster. It was a fairly good value, I got some re-rides in which I otherwise couldn't. GateKeeper's line was manageable without FL+.

Last year, in 2014, I did not purchase either FL because I had a 2.5 day trip. I think the prices were a little higher, but still reasonable, but also regular FL excluded Maverick.

In 2015, I don't know the specifics for the price range, but now there are four rides only on FL+. Doesn't that seem a bit much? I know, I know, supply and demand, people are willing to pay, etc. But, with Gatekeeper's incredible capacity, couldn't that be spared from FL+? Maverick and Dragster I understand- very popular, lower capacity. Rougarou as well, being the new hotness.

In my short amount of time at the park the last two summers, I haven't witnessed Gatekeeper's FL+ line being excessively long at all- nowhere near that of Maverick or Dragster. I believe CP is the only park in the chain with four coaster on FL+ exclusively. Anyone have any insight/shared understanding?

On summer days, it's hard for me to justify paying the $95-$110 for a FL+, which, compared to regular FL (whose only headliners are MF and Raptor), seems like a no-brainer. Why are all but two of the headliners on FL+, when, in other parks, it's only the newest coaster and generally a headliner/low capacity coaster?

I don't mean to rant of complain too much at all, I'm honestly looking for insight. It seems like they're making regular FL a very poor deal, almost requiring you purchase FL+ to really skip the long lines.

Just wondering, do you guys think Cedar Point should have a waterpark expansion sometime in the next few years? I just looked at list of attractions at Soak City, and while it's not a bad lineup, you'd think it would have a bit more to do, considering it's the waterpark at the chain's flagship park. I think they could use a slide tower with trapdoor slides similar to the ones at the smaller CF parks because in recent years, trapdoor slides have become an expectation at most decent-sized water parks. A ProSlide Tornado would also be a good choice since those have become pretty popular. Or, is there a reason that they haven't done too much with the water park? Do they not have enough space, or is it not popular enough?

I'm really surprised by Gatekeeper still being on FL+. It's kinda useless being on their with it never getting any line. Rougarou doesn't surprise me that much, but it'll probably will not be needed in a year like Gatekeeper. Dragster and Maverick should be on FL+ IMO. If too many people ride it at once the line quickly gets to an excessive length for paying so much extra. Last time I was their Dragster's FL line was at least 2+ hours, it was overflowing past the entrance!

I'm really surprised by Gatekeeper still being on FL+. It's kinda useless being on their with it never getting any line. Rougarou doesn't surprise me that much, but it'll probably will not be needed in a year like Gatekeeper.

So how many days in 2013 and 2014 did you steak out and monitor GateKeeper's queue? I can tell you from working on that ride and speaking with others who worked that ride way more times than me that GateKeeper still posts a decent wait. The days you find it walk-on are likely days where there are a lot of walk-ons where I would question the need for a Fast Lane for any attraction.

Cedar Point isn't oblivious to the demand for their attractions, and the fact of the matter is that people are still willing to pay the higher fees for FL and FL+.

I know it does hold a pretty long line in the morning most days, but I've almost never seen it over 30 minutes in the afternoon or at night. It just doesn't seem like it needs to be on the more expensive version.

Putting Gatekeeper on the Fast Lane and FL+ makes those services look like a better bargain and will thus sell more of them. Remember the motivation is making money, so putting a coaster on FL but not FL+ reduces the perceived value of FL+.

I was pretty happy that they added Maverick to FastLane Plus. It should of been done in the first place due to its sub-par capacity, but it's on there now so that's good. I do have a feeling though that once the new coaster comes in (whenever that will be) Gatekeeper and Rougarou will probably be taken off of Plus. Maverick and Dragster though will always remain.

FastLane changes periodically, as I remember seeing Gatekeeper not on FastLane Plus early in the season, then they re-added it later. It really doesn't need the Plus bottleneck as we've seen it can easily push 2mil+ people a season, but because it has the newness factor to it, it'll stay on there until the next coaster rolls along.

They know how to make money for sure. I just wish most people would quit getting up in arms over the Fast Lane passes. I'm from Texas, I get one or two visits a year and along with risking catching good weather, my expensive FL passes pay for those awesome new attractions that most get to enjoy 8-10 or more times by living in the area. I came up with a theory that most locals complain about the passes because you don't see other parks that often. I live in Dallas, TX. While SFoT isn't a bad park by any means, it doesn't have MF, or Dragster, or Gatekeeper, or a huge inverted B&M like Raptor. I'd happily wait in line if I lived near Cedar Point knowing I can come back tomorrow.

The snow though and those temperatures...you can keep that

I know that my trip is a few months away...but I just have a few questions. What is the best seat for Magnum? What is the best seat for Gemini? What are the best rides to ride at night? What should be my plan for Early Entry?

Opinions on Magnum vary from 1-3 to towards the back. Personally I don't get the hype for this ride. I appreciate its history, but I found the ride to be nothing special. Not bad at all, but outdated and severaly lacking airtime (that was sitting 1-3 in the rain in August).

As for Gemini, I don't know, but let me give you my advice...

You're going to Cedar Point, and I presume you won't be back very soon or very often. With that in mind, unless counting credits matters to you (which I find somewhat stupid), don't go out of your way to ride anything other than what you truly want to wait in line for. Why waste two hours getting credits when you could get re-rides on Maverick and Millennium Force? That's the way I see it, but do what you like.

At night, you may have a good amount of time for night rides, depending on closing time. All I can say is get in a line as close to closing as possible and wait it out. I do this every single time with Millennium Force, which is the best night ride experience I've ever had.

During the day, Millennium Force is my number three (maybe four) coaster. At midnight in row 18, it's the best coaster experience I've had. Period.

I would also recommend Maverick, maybe Dragster if you have time. Millennium Force is a priority if you ask me, though.

Early entry, get to the marina gate by 8:50. Ask if you don't know where this is (go left by perimeter road towards Blue Streak, follow people). From there, head towards either MF or Maverick, and you could grab one to two rides in ten minutes. Head towards the other once you're finished, and hop in the short line. Before opening, get in line for Dragster (around 9:45), shouldn't be more than about 15 minute wait. From this point, the park has just opened to the public and you have already ridden the big three. Enjoy your ride(s).

^Thank you so much! I honestly have no idea about some of their rides at Cedar Point and Gemini looked pretty interesting on how they seem to race each other. If the line is super long I probably won't do it. I will have 2.5 days there and want to get everything done that I want to get done and lots of re-rides. As for Magnum, I've heard of some mixed reviews of the ride from the restraints to some roughness. But it's a giant coaster over 200 feet and I kind of want to ride it haha. Thanks for the advice!

^^Anytime! If you're curious, I would say these are must rides, especially for a 2.5 day trip...

-Millennium Force

-Maverick

-Raptor

-Top Thrill Dragster

-Gatekeeper

-Rougarou

-Magnum

These are good rides, but not must-do's...

-Wicked Twister (if you haven't ridden an Impulse, this might be the best one)

-Blue Streak

-Iron Dragon

-Gemini

-Flat rides-- Maxair, Windseeker, Skyhawk, Power Tower, Shoot the Rapids (if it's hot)

These are skippable, but if they're walk on's you might want a ride...

-Mean Streak (not very rough, just boring, and its time is limited)

-Corkscrew

-Mine Ride

-Misc flat rides

Again, just my opinion, feel free to ask anything else!

Not bad at all, but outdated and severaly lacking airtime

And this is Magnum you're talking about?

Yes, actually it is. Maybe I caught it on three straight bad days, but I found it sluggish on the hills before the turnaround, and the return bunny hops just weren't sustained at all. To be perfectly honest I found MF to be the better airtime coaster.

^Thank you so much! I honestly have no idea about some of their rides at Cedar Point and Gemini looked pretty interesting on how they seem to race each other. If the line is super long I probably won't do it. I will have 2.5 days there and want to get everything done that I want to get done and lots of re-rides. As for Magnum, I've heard of some mixed reviews of the ride from the restraints to some roughness. But it's a giant coaster over 200 feet and I kind of want to ride it haha. Thanks for the advice!

You probably won't have to worry about not getting on rides other than break downs, but i would probably try to get everything in on the first day and save the last 1.5 for rerides. Gemini is a pretty fun ride, I'll usually go for the back row. It's not all that rough, the bottom of the first drop is the only real spot. The line shouldn't be a problem either, it's probably the highest capacity in the park so it'll move very fast. For Magnum I'll usually ride back car, middle row or occasionally in the front. I don't find it rough at all and the airtime is definitely worth a ride. Again you shouldn't have to worry all that much about the line, it generally won't get to an hour.

As for other rides, there aren't really rides that are un-rideable but corkscrew might give you a head ache for a little while. Everything else is worth at least a ride on and the smaller rides don't have very long lines. Check out some of the flats too. Maxair, Skyhawk and Power Tower are pretty fun.