TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Even if it does get a decent line

Why do people keep saying this? I"ve seen it with a line once, when every other coaster in the park was shut down due to weather. Awful coaster. I agree though, if they do get something between next year and 2020, I'd hope it's a conversion to that beautiful hunk of garbage Mean Streak.

Because it does get a line even when other coasters are open. Just because you visit the park frequently doesn't mean you know how popular it is.

So popular that it's not even in the top 10 despite high capacity, and running in the rain. I know exactly how popular it is, or in this case, isn't.

1 GateKeeper 1,898,204

2 Millennium Force 1,721,918

3 Raptor 1,414,447

4 Magnum XL-200 1,355,861

5 Gemini 1,298,304

6 Maverick 1,153,896

7 Iron Dragon 1,092,242

8 Top Thrill Dragster 1,077,885

9 Mantis 925,667

10 Wicked Twister 794,264

In defense of Mean Streak, it does get a line at some points. My experience is pretty limited, but on one out of three days I've visited the park it did have a short line (10 minutes or so) despite it being a perfectly normal August weekday. I doubt it ever gets a much longer wait than that, and I wouldn't consider it one of the park's more popular rides, but there are definitely times when it is more than a station wait. In my opinion, it's only the third worst coaster in the park (even in its current form, I like it better than Cedar Creek Mine Ride or Corkscrew), but if RMC does redesign the attraction it will easily become one of the park's top coasters (maybe not #1, but absolutely the best non-Intamin).

Just a side question here...are the i305 restraints forgiving for taller riders. I'm 6'4 never had a problem with the original restraints and it would suck if I couldn't ride my favorite coaster in the park due to a new mod. They just look kind of slim in my opinion like they have no arch for your shoulder. Inputs appreciated thanks.

I still think that "leaked" dive coaster rumor from the Sandusky Register could be true. Whenever they've released unannounced park info before, it pretty much turns out to be accurate.

But as whole, I'm going to say that it's for that midway expansion idea I've had for a few years. Cedars Dorms will also come down, Perimeter Rd will be rerouted, and a new midway will connect the Blue Streak midway from Calypso's current location to near the bleachers in Celebration Plaza. This is just one rough possible idea of what it could be. As you can see, having a whole multi year expansion in addition to the dive coaster is possible...I'm not the best at Photoshop and stuff like that but I inserted an image of Sheikra and it fits perfectly and still allows for plenty of room. The blue indicates the Perimeter Road reroute, the red indicates the new midway, you can obviously see the image of Sheikra and how it does not even interfere with Cadillac Cars and Raptor, and then the green areas indicate free space for future attractions.

cp.thumb.jpg.051ed7c71d95d7e419c695f3ecc6d9ed.jpg

In the area formerly occupied by the dorms, I could see some type of out-and-back GCI or GG wooden coaster. Its station would be near the new midway merge by the bleachers, its lift hill would run parallel to the new midway, it would turn around in the strip of land between the midway and Perimeter Road (near Calypso's former location) and then will come back into the dorms area for a twister finale. I could see the new dive coaster's entrance plaza along with a few new shops/eating areas and seating in the small space by Raptor, to the right of where the new midway would connect to the Blue Streak midway.Then the other free space where the Goodtime Theatre used to be would be used for several new flat rides and another landscaped seating area.

I still think that "leaked" dive coaster rumor from the Sandusky Register could be true. Whenever they've released unannounced park info before, it pretty much turns out to be accurate.

But as whole, I'm going to say that it's for that midway expansion idea I've had for a few years. Cedars Dorms will also come down, Perimeter Rd will be rerouted, and a new midway will connect the Blue Streak midway from Calypso's current location to near the bleachers in Celebration Plaza. This is just one rough possible idea of what it could be. As you can see, having a whole multi year expansion in addition to the dive coaster is possible...I'm not the best at Photoshop and stuff like that but I inserted an image of Sheikra and it fits perfectly and still allows for plenty of room. The blue indicates the Perimeter Road reroute, the red indicates the new midway, you can obviously see the image of Sheikra and how it does not even interfere with Cadillac Cars and Raptor, and then the green areas indicate free space for future attractions.

[attachment=0]cp.jpg[/attachment]

In the area formerly occupied by the dorms, I could see some type of out-and-back GCI or GG wooden coaster. Its station would be near the new midway merge by the bleachers, its lift hill would run parallel to the new midway, it would turn around in the strip of land between the midway and Perimeter Road (near Calypso's former location) and then will come back into the dorms area for a twister finale. I could see the new dive coaster's entrance plaza along with a few new shops/eating areas and seating in the small space by Raptor, to the right of where the new midway would connect to the Blue Streak midway.Then the other free space where the Goodtime Theatre used to be would be used for several new flat rides and another landscaped seating area.

...They need to hire you...

So popular that it's not even in the top 10 despite high capacity, and running in the rain. I know exactly how popular it is, or in this case, isn't.

You know you're arguing with something who spent 3 years operating Mean Streak right? Just because it's not in the top 10 doesn't mean it doesn't put up solid numbers.

Just a side question here...are the i305 restraints forgiving for taller riders. I'm 6'4 never had a problem with the original restraints and it would suck if I couldn't ride my favorite coaster in the park due to a new mod. They just look kind of slim in my opinion like they have no arch for your shoulder. Inputs appreciated thanks.

I'm 6'3 and when I rode I305 it fit great and was very comfortable. I think you could be 6'6 and be fine with those restraints.

[attachment=0]cp.jpg[/attachment]

Seems like an amazing idea to me! More land, move the road

Tony Clark is doing a Q&A on Twitter right now.

As it turns out, the Wicked Twister entry area will be altered for Tiki Twirl.

...the Wicked Twister flagpoles will go away.

I asked about the restraints on Rougarou, and the answer makes sense -- the ride wasn't built for the wider trains that the Banshee/Gatekeeper restraints would require.

The harnesses are too wide for the track/layout configuration.

You know you're arguing with something who spent 3 years operating Mean Streak right? Just because it's not in the top 10 doesn't mean it doesn't put up solid numbers.

I kinda figured there was a personal bias in the argument. We have very different definitions of 'solid'.

RIde_On_17 -- what an amazing post!

I kinda figured there was a personal bias in the argument. We have very different definitions of 'solid'.

Ok, I want to add my own two cents to this. There are times when the ride has a long line, I am not going to disagree with that. However when you look at the those long lines, it happens to be when the park is very busy, maybe even at 100%. Such events are, 4th of July, memorial day weekend, some august days, Halloween.

I don't have the stats on hand, but if I was to say without knowing Mean Streak and Mantis have about the same ridership. Meaning that they had days with long lines, but both were almost always hop ons. As an example: Maverick wait is about 2 hours, Mean Streak was only 10 minutes. Milli was 2.5 hours, Mantis was only 15mins. Yes they are not the number one coasters, but when the park is that busy and they still have less then half hour waits, then there is a problem.

Personally, Mean Streak is just stuck in the back, it does not have the power as it use to, it is more painful, not that thrilling and to me, something needs to change back there. I am sure something will happen soon, as the main focus has been the front of the park. Unfortunately for Mean Streak is it stuck back there in a bad position in the first place.

I know that it's still rumor at this point that the dorms will come down, but I think the dorms going down down, perimeter road re-routed, & midway going from Blue Streak to the bleacher area may be spot on for multi-year expansion. With that interview posted a few pages back saying we shouldn't expect anything happening in the Goodtime theater area "too soon" I think this is a very real possibility for the park layout changing. Especially now that the Blue Streak "Dead End" is temporally more of a dead end than before. Connecting it to the other areas of the park would help it flow better.

My point wasn't that he was biased, it's that he knows what he's talking about... but take that as you will I guess.

My point wasn't that he was biased, it's that he knows what he's talking about... but take that as you will I guess.

I don't want to be involved in this, but you're arguing different points. Mossed is arguing it doesn't put up solid numbers, evidenced by not being in the top 10 throughput in the park, not that he is biased because he operates the ride. Either way, doesn't really matter. Mean Streak is obviously not of the most popular coasters in the park, but it is capable of holding a decent line on busier days. Nothing much to be argued here.