TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Sorry but I just don't see CP throwing cash at a remake of Mean Streak, better to tear the thing down and have RMC come in to design and build a completely new coaster in the same location.

I also don't think CP will be seeing a dive coaster anytime soon, maybe at on of the smaller CF parks but not CP. I think over the next two years CP will continue to remove old buildings and rework the park a bit.

Well, its not...really. Aside from the station and lift its a regular coaster. Its themed as much as Alpengeist. I think a lot of the figure for baron is the overall price with the coaster included. Do you think expedition Everest would cost 100 million if it were just the coaster?

I still predict it is a Dive Coaster for 2015 and a Mean Streak RMC conversion in 2016!

Whoa! Floorless mantis AND a dive coaster in the same year!!!

I'll change my prediction to

Dive Coaster for 2016 and a Mean Streak RMC conversion in 2017!

Sorry but I just don't see CP throwing cash at a remake of Mean Streak, better to tear the thing down and have RMC come in to design and build a completely new coaster in the same location.

I also don't think CP will be seeing a dive coaster anytime soon, maybe at on of the smaller CF parks but not CP. I think over the next two years CP will continue to remove old buildings and rework the park a bit.

Ya because a totally marketable, cheap, and world class coaster that will make everyone happy is definitely a bad Idea! Why not just waste money to tear down the crappy ride and then buy all new identical wood to build a not as good coaster! Wahoo! I really hope you where joking there.

Shiekra would cost about 16.5 today and supposedly CP's dive machine is going to have a smaller track, to accommodate the smaller trains, so I could see it.

I just don't really. If the leaked plans where right(Highly, Highly doubt there was any truth to them though), it would be the tallest and longest dive coaster. That would bump up the cost a ton, and since it has a barrel roll it would need the new wider restraints. Since it's at Cedar Point they'd want to keep the capacity up and would have the same size trains as the ten across making the wider track necessary.

^. There is literally nothing good about Mean Streak, what can you tell me RMC could use off of Mean Streak? Mean Streak as it is being converted by RMC would be a long a costly process. The ride is boring and layout is nothing special, a complete tear down and rebuild would actually put a good coaster in its location.

Tearing Mean Streak completely down would take much longer and cost more than Iron Horsing it. It's not like taking the ride down is free, it can be pretty expensive for a ride as large as Mean Streak. Texas Giant had nearly an Identical layout to Mean streak just slightly shorter length and height wise. If RMC can turn that into this rcdb.com/11662.htm, than they'll be able to make just as good or better of a ride out of Mean Streak.

^^I guess you didn't see the No Limits Iron Mean Streak creation by a poster a few posts back. Just because Mean Streak's layout is boring now, doesn't mean you can't Iron Horse it and make it better. Have you seen one RMC coaster with the same exact layout before the conversion and after? No, they always tweak it to make it better.

I just don't really. If the leaked plans where right(Highly, Highly doubt there was any truth to them though), it would be the tallest and longest dive coaster. That would bump up the cost a ton, and since it has a barrel roll it would need the new wider restraints. Since it's at Cedar Point they'd want to keep the capacity up and would have the same size trains as the ten across making the wider track necessary.

Because this newspaper as no credibility when it comes to obtaining memos from the park and reporting when they're building a new coaster and what type it is. (cough cough Gatekeeper cough).

I bet that 16 million number is actually right for the coaster itself, but when they start factoring in labor and all work that has to be done, (station, theming, pathways, and ext) the price tag is going to be north of $20 million.

^. There is literally nothing good about Mean Streak, what can you tell me RMC could use off of Mean Streak? Mean Streak as it is being converted by RMC would be a long a costly process. The ride is boring and layout is nothing special, a complete tear down and rebuild would actually put a good coaster in its location.

Just because you can't rationalize in your head that anything good can be made out of Mean Streak, doesn't mean Alan Schilke can't. I would almost bet money that if he gets his hands on Mean Streak, he can make it the best ride in the park. Could he do more with an empty plot of land? Maybe, but my gut feeling is we would end up with something more like Goliath rather than something more like Texas Giant. Most designers do there best work when they're challenged and are forced to be creative.

All I'm saying is that Mean Streak is complete crap now, it is hard to imagine it turning into something I would actually want to ride again.

True the last couple RMC reworks have been pretty damn spectacular so maybe Mean Streak could become something great. Good point about Colossus, it was really bad.

All I'm saying is that Mean Streak is complete crap now, it is hard to imagine it turning into something I would actually want to ride again.

True the last couple RMC reworks have been pretty damn spectacular so maybe Mean Streak could become something great. Good point about Colossus, it was really bad.

It's hard to imagine, but it's obvious they would if they got the chance.

Interesting comments from Bryan Edwards in this article www.ohio.com/blogs/airtime/airtime-1.489637/cedar-point-relocating-rides-for-future-expansion-video-of-good-time-theatre-demolition-1.568876 make me think this Dive Coaster may be the last coaster until 2020, where Cedar Point is going to get something huge.

But...wasn't Texas Giant crap? I have never been to SFoT but from reports they were one in the same, TG and MS. They layouts are very very similar. I even thought they were the same when I was younger. Is it just you dont want it to be a better coaster??? Admit it! lol

It's hard to imagine, but it's obvious they would if they got the chance.

Interesting comments from Bryan Edwards in this article www.ohio.com/blogs/airtime/airtime-1.489637/cedar-point-relocating-rides-for-future-expansion-video-of-good-time-theatre-demolition-1.568876 make me think this Dive Coaster may be the last coaster until 2020, where Cedar Point is going to get something huge.

Good find. It almost made it sound like the theaters plot is for the 2020 coaster. This is becoming a very interesting offseason. I personally can't wait to see what Cedar Point has in store over the next few years.

I guess I could see no new from the ground up rides in between 2016-2020. But I really feel like Mean Streak would get RMC'd maybe in 2017/2018. They know it is now the worst coaster in the park. Even if it does get a decent line, it's only because of how good in looks and there is almost no reriders. It's days are definitely numbered, especially with them showing that they want to improve deteriorating rides instead of removing them.

Agreed 100%. The two are VERY similar, and since RMC seems even more ballsy now, I feel like Meaner Streak would be Incredible!

Meaner Streak...I love it! Now I have a name to associate with the RMC project everyone wishes for!

Good find. It almost made it sound like the theaters plot is for the 2020 coaster. This is becoming a very interesting offseason. I personally can't wait to see what Cedar Point has in store over the next few years.

I imagine Cedar Point must have some really special plans for the big 150, but I find it hard to believe that they'd start clearing ground for it five years in advance. You never know, but unless we're talking an Expedition Everest level of immersion, I can't see Cedar Point taking more than 2-3 years to build an attraction. Even Top Thrill Dragster didn't have major work start until after the end of the 2001 season.

Even if it does get a decent line

Why do people keep saying this? I"ve seen it with a line once, when every other coaster in the park was shut down due to weather. Awful coaster. I agree though, if they do get something between next year and 2020, I'd hope it's a conversion to that beautiful hunk of garbage Mean Streak.

I imagine Cedar Point must have some really special plans for the big 150, but I find it hard to believe that they'd start clearing ground for it five years in advance. You never know, but unless we're talking an Expedition Everest level of immersion, I can't see Cedar Point taking more than 2-3 years to build an attraction. Even Top Thrill Dragster didn't have major work start until after the end of the 2001 season.

That's what I was getting at. I assume this site is for the supposed Dive coaster/2016 alternative, but they referred to that site with the 150 plans hand in hand. Maybe it was worded strangely.

This leads me to wonder what they could possibly be planning for year 150. It'll be a coaster, it'll be big. That's pretty much all there is. Honestly I just don't see a polar coaster at Cedar Point. They're not going to be the first to 500 ft (that's in 2017 in Florida), and I would expect it to be a good coaster, not just a gimmick. Very interesting. Sounds like MF in 2000- records and a good coaster.

Even if it does get a decent line

Why do people keep saying this? I"ve seen it with a line once, when every other coaster in the park was shut down due to weather. Awful coaster. I agree though, if they do get something between next year and 2020, I'd hope it's a conversion to that beautiful hunk of garbage Mean Streak.

Because it does get a line even when other coasters are open. Just because you visit the park frequently doesn't mean you know how popular it is.