TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Intamin 200 ft wooden coaster in the proposed dive coaster's spot followed by an RMCed Mean Streak would give Cedar point something un matched by an park being the possibility of having the best wooden, hybrid, and steel roller coasters all at one park. I know back to back wooden coasters would be a bit crazy but the idea of having the best coaster in those 3 categories all in 1 park would be amazing.

I'm probably way off here, but I think it's gonna be an Intamin. They have obviously been in contact with them due to the restraints, which is kind-of random. A 200 ft Intamin woodie would be in Cedar Point style and might warrant construction starting this early. Again, probably way off though.

I wouldn't call it random. If Cedar Point thought it was worthwhile to get Maverick some new restraints, then they'd do it. And they did.

As for the plot created by these relocations/removals, I think we can almost be assured this is a coaster. A dark ride would not require such early clearing on such a large plot of land. As for an Intamin pre-fab, as awesome as they are, I don't see it. I'm not sure an average sized pre-fab would fit in that clearing, let alone one of Cedar Point scale (200+ feet). Also, working with Intamin on something so small as restraints to me does not point toward an Intamin coaster in the near future. Great Adventure got Zumanjaro in 2014- eight years after their last Intamin coaster (El Toro). There's no way in heck they're building an Intamin coaster next year, or the year after, etc.

My point being, this is a small investment. It's not like CF had been morally against Intamin and refused to do business with them; they just saw other opportunities with B&M and had a really incredible run of Intamin coasters at Cedar Point. New restraints is not a risky investment; I'd be surprised it the price tag topped $100,000, in all honesty.

What I meant by random was just, Why now? The complaints aren't a new thing, they've been around pretty much since the ride opened. It's a cheap enough addition that they could have done it easily any year before know. To me it seems like they where in negotiations for another project, possibly a woodie, and intamin brought up Maverick's restraints. The park may have decided to replace those along with a new coaster. As for size, I think it could fit if they kept it compact. Especially if they tore down the employee housing.

Wow! So many good changes!!

I never had a problem with Maverick's restraints. It was already my favorite coaster at Cedar Point, and this will just make it better!

I LOVE the additions to Twister Midway. Even though Gatekeeper helped bring in more traffic to that area, it still felt a little empty. The relocation of Calypso and Dodgem will help liven up the area a ton.

Rougarou's trains look great! I'm still super excited about the floorless conversion. I know it won't make it the best coaster in the park, but it will at least make it way more re-rideable and enjoyable.

I'm planning a trip in mid May. I can't wait to check out the new improvements as well as the new construction!

I hate to crash the party on working with Intamin, but I had a conversation with one of the maintenance workers about Mavericks restraints. He said they're replaced every 2 years as part of the regular maintenance and they just decided to go with the I305 style this time around. So there wasn't any "new" working with Intamin, as he said they were purchasing restraints anyway.

On a side note I'd LOVE to get a 200ft Intamin woodie, but I think the dive coaster is coming.

Intamin 200 ft wooden coaster in the proposed dive coaster's spot followed by an RMCed Mean Streak would give Cedar point something un matched by an park being the possibility of having the best wooden, hybrid, and steel roller coasters all at one park. I know back to back wooden coasters would be a bit crazy but the idea of having the best coaster in those 3 categories all in 1 park would be amazing.

1 - 800 - NOT GONNA HAPPEN

Love the changes! Amazing to think of what that midway was like pre-2000. Definitely the most changed area of the park. Giant Wheel, maXair, Wicked Twister, Gatekeeper - all weren't there - Disaster Transport was still uglying up the Beach, and next year with the addition of two more non-coaster rides, it's literally an entirely new place!

As far as an Intamin woodie coming in, it's apparent that those are incredible rides, but there's got to be a reason we haven't seen more of them. The last one was built in 2008. Don't replacement track segments have to be specially ordered? Park carpenters can't just re-track a section. That's got to be expensive, which I'm sure is a deterrent for most parks. Traditional woodies are already far more expensive to maintain than steel coasters. I'm afraid an Intamin pre-fab is just an enthusiast pipe dream.

I hate to crash the party on working with Intamin, but I had a conversation with one of the maintenance workers about Mavericks restraints. He said they're replaced every 2 years as part of the regular maintenance and they just decided to go with the I305 style this time around. So there wasn't any "new" working with Intamin, as he said they were purchasing restraints anyway.

In our group, this very question came up during the Q&A, and that was their response, so I'll cosign what you just said. There was also a "Is Intamin actually less reliable than B&M?" which led to a very, very diplomatic answer that clearly intended to say "yes" without actually saying "yes".

As far as an Intamin woodie coming in, it's apparent that those are incredible rides, but there's got to be a reason we haven't seen more of them. The last one was built in 2008. Don't replacement track segments have to be specially ordered? Park carpenters can't just re-track a section. That's got to be expensive, which I'm sure is a deterrent for most parks. Traditional woodies are already far more expensive to maintain than steel coasters. I'm afraid an Intamin pre-fab is just an enthusiast pipe dream.

I heard that El Toro was pretty expensive (around $25 million) and that's why Plug 'n' Plays aren't that common. I'm probably wrong though.

I am glad that they are relocating some rides over by Wicked Twister - I remember riding Tiki-Twirl a loooong time ago when it was in the location that Matterhorn is now. It will be in a good location with Troika not being too far away.

I wonder how long the old Oceana aquarium building will hang in before they remove that? While I wouldn't want them to remove another area where they have live shows, I can honestly say that I have never been in the Oceana building since it was just that. The building just looks dated and too large just to house a BMX bike show.

That does make a lot more since then my Idea. But, if it is a Dive Machine coming in 2016, that'll probably be the last new B&M for a while. The only other rides they don't have from them are a normal sitdown, which I don't feel would fit with the park, and a Flyer, which CF has already said they don't like. They'll have to start buying rides from other companies soon, so I'm just hoping that's Intamin again.

That does make a lot more since then my Idea. But, if it is a Dive Machine coming in 2016, that'll probably be the last new B&M for a while. The only other rides they don't have from them are a normal sitdown, which I don't feel would fit with the park, and a Flyer, which CF has already said they don't like. They'll have to start buying rides from other companies soon, so I'm just hoping that's Intamin again.

If they do build a dive machine and do a RMC makeover on Mean Streak after the Rougarou transformation back-to-back-to-back, I don't think they're going to need or want to do much coaster stuff for awhile. If they did, there's a lot of directions they can go in without Intamin where they've already bought similar things; dark ride/coaster hybrids from Triotech, Mack spinning coasters. Zamperla Motocoasters...one day they probably will call whatever iteration of Intamin exists then, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that day.

El Toro only cost 12 million, I think plug-n-play Intamin's aren't that popular due to reliability. My thinking is that for that cheap, wouldn't it be worth it to take the risk on possible maintenance issues to get a world class coaster that will draw big numbers?

The $12 million figure may have come from a multi ride deal with Imtamin including Kingda Ka. That or it's just not true. The widespread belief is El Toro alone would cost $25 million, which is why parks aren't buying prefabs.

Although personally if you're paying $30 million for Gatekeeper, El Toro is worth Cedar Fair's entire revenue stream.

El Toro only cost 12 million, I think plug-n-play Intamin's aren't that popular due to reliability. My thinking is that for that cheap, wouldn't it be worth it to take the risk on possible maintenance issues to get a world class coaster that will draw big numbers?

The $12 million figure may have come from a multi ride deal with Imtamin including Kingda Ka. That or it's just not true. The widespread belief is El Toro alone would cost $25 million, which is why parks aren't buying prefabs.

Although personally if you're paying $30 million for Gatekeeper, El Toro is worth Cedar Fair's entire revenue stream.

That's a good point on that multi-ride deal. But, I think 25 million is a bit high as Balder cost 12.6 million.

I wonder how long the old Oceana aquarium building will hang in before they remove that? While I wouldn't want them to remove another area where they have live shows, I can honestly say that I have never been in the Oceana building since it was just that. The building just looks dated and too large just to house a BMX bike show.

I agree the building looks very dated. In our Q&A session that building came up and they stated that the BMX extreme show is the most popular show in the park. So maybe a renovation in the next few years? I don't know but they said for now at least it's staying.