TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wouldn't they have to have a ton of permits? Lake Erie is a Great Lake, wouldn't that be similar to building a coaster over a highway? If not more so? I don't know anything about it, I'm just guessing.

Building a coaster over a highway takes some negotiation with government, making enemies with neighbors, and a decade's worth of patience. Believe me, I know. As for touching a very protected body of water, good freaking luck.

Cedar Point is a mature park which isn't necessarily a bad thing. With attendance being virtually at a plateau since the late 1990s, the park isn't necessarily reaching into new markets and growing their pool to pull people in from. However, through careful expansions that have replaced aging, unpopular, or functionally obsolete attractions, Cedar Point has successfully been humming along maintaining their relatively stagnant attendance for almost two decades. By offering something new each year to make the guest experience better, Cedar Point keeps a very loyal regional draw annually. An aggressive "growth" strategy would likely not yield a long-term attendance spike to really justify something drastic like relocating the main parking lot or even attempting to expand into the lake.

I currently like the path Cedar Fair is taking with Cedar Point. They are improving the guest experience through improving the areas of the park and the surrounding resort that already exist.

How about buy a new place in Sandusky as their water park and action park's location? Even though Sandusky already has some indoor water parks, Cedar Point would make a huge brand to attract new crowd. They can build another hotel at the new site as the most economic choice then increase the price of Brakers and camping area for more money.

Fun fact: In this image, behind Rob are the shelves containing plans for new attractions for all CF parks. Right above his shoulder is CP's cubby. Directly above that is MIA's. CW is next to that.

How can you tell?

rcoaster10, excellent NoLimits creation! If done properly, Mean Streak could possibly become the best RMC conversion and would likely be Cedar Point's best coaster. The question is whether Cedar Fair would want to invest money into a conversion of Mean Streak or just tear it down and build a new coaster. I'm thinking the latter is probably more likely, but I have heard rumors of RMC conversions coming to one or two other Cedar Fair parks in the next few years, and if another park gets an RMC Cedar Point will most likely follow suit.

^Length of the layout has absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact, it makes it less efficient, if anything. Banshee runs three trains because it has three blocks on the main brake run (if you also count the transfer block), one of them acting as a block brake, or as everyone around here calls it, a MCBR. The brake run is also rather long and the trains spend a lot of time slowly moving down it, then it stacks for a just a short time right in front of the station. So while in theory this "Iron Streak" could run 3 trains, I don't see it as capacity booster by any means, and there would always be a train sitting in front of the station for longer than necessary.

I would imagine the mid course brakes would remain about where they are, similar to the Texas Giant. Mean Streak and the Texas Giant had nearly identical layouts, so I assume this potential refurb would look very similar to the Giant's (possibly a steeper drop, maybe an inversion or two).