TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hate to break it to you but there's this thing called Lake Erie.

LOL maybe freak is in your username for a reason.

Yes, I've been to Cedar Point. A dozen or so times. Which is why I think what some of you "seasoned visitors" are saying is ridiculous. Those that visit regularly should know this.

Honestly Cedar Point is probably one of the biggest parks I've ever been to around the globe. Haven't checked but I'd say it's bigger than Magic Mountain. It takes FOREVER to walk from Mean Streak to the front of the park. OMG!? What are they gonna do?! The park is on a peninsula! And surrounded by a lake!!! BUT it's on a freakin' huge peninsula. The park is not going to run out of room for roller coasters within the decade. They're not gonna run out of room in the next 2 decades. The parking lot is big enough to park cars on the busiest day. The land is big enough to put coasters anywhere. I think the higher ups at Cedar Fair will figure it out as time goes by if it even ever gets to that point. They're not dumb.

I can't decide if you guys don't understand the actual logistics of theme parks or just like to go extreme and speculate about what will happen in 1000 years when we're not even around. Where if it's the latter, fine. Have fun speculating. I've got no problem with that. But it's not like the park will implode with coaster overabundance and visitor capacity in the next 20 years, will not be able to exist, and nobody who manages the place will know what to do.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but --actually, no--- I'm not sorry to burst any bubbles. I'm sick of hearing these "going to run out of room" discussions that are delirious.

You also need to realize the park's attendance has hovered in the low three million range for YEARS. Wasn't 1996 or so the highest attendance they had? They aren't going to expand it larger than it is now. They will continue to expand the way they have been doing it: remove aging attractions and replace them with new ones to draw people back. Pretty simple.

There is so much space, in so many places, they can weave coasters anywhere, some older coasters will eventually be removed, there is plenty of parking, the list goes on and on. Maybe some of you bring it up because it's fun to talk about, but unless the park is confined to a very limited perimeter like Disneyland, Cedar Point is NOT going to run out of room!
Have you ever actually been to Cedar Point?? The park is running out of room faster than I think any of us would like to admit. Yes the park is huge, but so are a lot of their coasters... Large coasters (for the most part) take up a large amount of room. I don't think there is as much room in the park as you think. Also, where are they going to expand... There is huge thing surrounding the park called "Lake Erie." I don't think the park can exactly move that.

Yes, I've been to Cedar Point. A dozen or so times. Which is why I think what some of you "seasoned visitors" are saying is ridiculous. Those that visit regularly should know this.

Honestly Cedar Point is probably one of the biggest parks I've ever been to around the globe. Haven't checked but I'd say it's bigger than Magic Mountain. It takes FOREVER to walk from Mean Streak to the front of the park. OMG!? What are they gonna do?! The park is on a peninsula! And surrounded by a lake!!! BUT it's on a freakin' huge peninsula. The park is not going to run out of room for roller coasters within the decade. They're not gonna run out of room in the next 2 decades. The parking lot is big enough to park cars on the busiest day. The land is big enough to put coasters anywhere. I think the higher ups at Cedar Fair will figure it out as time goes by if it even ever gets to that point. They're not dumb.

I can't decide if you guys don't understand the actual logistics of theme parks or just like to go extreme and speculate about what will happen in 1000 years when we're not even around. Where if it's the latter, fine. Have fun speculating. I've got no problem with that. But it's not like the park will implode with coaster overabundance and visitor capacity in the next 20 years, will not be able to exist, and nobody who manages the place will know what to do.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but --actually, no--- I'm not sorry to burst any bubbles. I'm sick of hearing these "going to run out of room" discussions that are delirious.

Actually, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but you're pretty wrong. Roller coasters can't just get plopped down wherever there's a space without a roller coaster. A lot of the dead space I think you're referring to is necessary infrastructure. The whole Northeast corner may be roller coaster-free but it's got hotel rooms, service roads, backstage facilities, the campground, etc. that shouldn't really be touched.

Think back to the last time Cedar Point added a major roller coaster without removing or at least relocating another ride. They aren't doing that for fun buddy. It's because they'rs tighter on space than you think.

On a peninsula? Surrounded by water? No more room? Hmm, can't think of another situation like that...

Cedar Point could easily build another 10 large coasters without running out of space. I remember when Millennium Force opened some people said they were out of space. But they sure did find space for Dragster, Maverick, Gatekeeper, Wicked Twister, Maxair, Skyhawk, Shoot the Rapids, Lighthouse Point, etc... just remove some old rides, move around some existing rides, squeeze things in, or build on top of things. Easy.

This is why I love parks like Indiana Beach or Grona Lund that can do this. It opens up so many inviting concepts, and shows the park's true abilities. It would be rather interesting to see Cedar Point become one of these parks.

Edited by DonGeorge

First and formost, making a personal attack on MagnumFreak is stepping outside of the sense of humor clause. You do not have the right to make personal attacks on this site. I dont mean to backseat mod, but as a member of this site (and society at large) lets please keep all comments respectful.

You make a completely uncalled for jab at MagnumFreak, he feels weird about it, other members feel weird about it, and you completely discredit your argument before anbody even has the chance to read it. Do you see why this type of comment isn't cool? Cool.

In my next point, Im going have to completely disagree with everything you just said. I worked and lived at Cedar Point. That means Ive spent every single day (even if I was off) at the park, like it or not. I can absolutely assure you that these massive empty plots of land that you speak of do not exist. There is not a single part of the park that I can think of where a full sized coaster can be built without removing something. I would argue that the park has ALREADY run out of space for the most part.

Edited by woolandmammoth

DoubleDown is spot-on. Cedar Point is one of the largest parks on earth and is in no way in danger of "running out of space" in any of our lifetimes. The park is basically at its limitations for number of attractions. It's not like the park is ever going to have 200-plus rides. Old rides will be taken out. The only reason the subject of space limitations comes up about Cedar Point so much is because the park boundaries are so obvious. Pretty much any park cannot just expand past their current boundaries. It's not like the empty space around other parks is just no-mans-land. Somebody owns it, and chances are they are not going to give it up for anything less than top dollar if they know that the park wants it. The expenditure to purchase land on top of building a new attraction is just not in the budget for practically any park. Some parks do purchase land, but they are really the exception, not the rule.

On a peninsula? Surrounded by water? No more room? Hmm, can't think of another situation like that...

Cedar Point could easily build another 10 large coasters without running out of space. I remember when Millennium Force opened some people said they were out of space. But they sure did find space for Dragster, Maverick, Gatekeeper, Wicked Twister, Maxair, Skyhawk, Shoot the Rapids, Lighthouse Point, etc... just remove some old rides, move around some existing rides, squeeze things in, or build on top of things. Easy.

Dragster required moving a couple flat rides. Maverick replaced the log flume. Gatekeeper replaced Disaster Transport. The other rides you listed have considerably small footprints. The point being that all of these additions required moving around/demolising some things.

Nobody is saying that Cedar Point will never get new big rides ever again...but there aren't vast expanses of land for them to do so. All these big additions require removals and re-arrangements, pretty much the definition of being low on space. This dive coaster, if it actually comes to fruition, will come at the cost of a big theater and possibly the car ride. Cedar Point isn't stuck with it's current lineup forever, but space IS tight and they DO have to be creative when squeezing in new rides.

So, again, nobody is arguing that new rides aren't possible. But Cedar Point does not have a ton of room like it is being implied here.

For those who were curious about the Midnight Syndicate show during HalloWeekends that perhaps did not have the chance to see it, I have a full-length video of the show. This was recorded over the course of four different shows from multiple angles and such, with permission of course from both Cedar Point and Midnight Syndicate. Little did we all know at the time it would be the last show ever to take place in the Good Time Theater.

For those who want to check it out...

edit: Video removed at this time. Will repost later on when I can!

Edited by Invertalon

For those who were curious about the Midnight Syndicate show during HalloWeekends that perhaps did not have the chance to see it, I have a full-length video of the show. This was recorded over the course of four different shows from multiple angles and such, with permission of course from both Cedar Point and Midnight Syndicate. Little did we all know at the time it would be the last show ever to take place in the Good Time Theater.

For those who want to check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VisXM9lyIVM

Wow! Great Job! We loved this show!

How much of the surrounding water can they build on anyway?

There's always space if you are willing to squuze things in. But for a huge park like Cedar Point, stations and queue area might be a real problem. Millennium Force's supports are far apart, it would be easy put another coaster or two between them. Dinosaur Alive can hold a Roar-O-Saurus clone with double station and slightly longer trains. The warehouse between Mean Streak and Gemini can go to the camping area for another coaster. Either tear down Mean Streak for another coaster or add another compact coaster on the giant space in the triangle. Hotel Brakers' parking lot can be changed to underground parking lot or something like Disneyland's for a big new attraction. A giant flying coaster can be added above Shoot the Rapids. And like ImNotOneOfYou mentioned, ParkingLotKeeper is another solution.

I know nothing about if CP's ground can handle the pressure of huge rides at those areas but these are just ideas.