TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

And here comes the flood of people whining about Gatekeeper (the most popular ride in the park that came with a beautiful new entrance plaza and ride area and is amazingly reliable) in 3... 2.... 1...

I went to the Point for the first time this summer so I don't know what it felt like Pre-Gatekeeper but it was such a great addition to the park

A. It set the tone very early and a great picture

B. It is a freaking fun, intense, really, not really, but no paper it is a 170 ft with a crap load of inversions including the key hole inversion

C. It is themed well enough

At first I wasn't too excited about the idea of a dive machine, but assuming the proposal from the news paper is true, I definitely am very excited! Just for fun I drew up (on paint) a fake layout.

Basically in my renderings the theater and both car rides are removed (Dorney Park gets the old car rides of course.) Calypso is relocated to make room for the coaster's queue and station. It is relocated to where the skyride plaza and marina entrance meet up. The area around the queue and station is remodeled in ordinary CF style, which includes fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, gift shop, and a food stand.

The coaster departs the station and makes a 180 degree turn to the right. It then climbs the 233' lift hill at as steep angle. Once to the top it then makes a turn to the right where a holding break teases rides looking straight down into a tunnel which travels under the marina entrance. The coaster reaches its top speed of 80mph right before flying through a large immelman loop. Next, the train soars back down towards the ground right before entering a 360 degree overbanked turn (similar to Sheikra.) From there you now enter the midcourse brakes. Next is a second 90 degree drop the dives under a splash pool which teases the riders into thinking they're going under water. After the tunnel you encounter a second inversion this time a diving loop. After that the track twists its way through an overbanked turn to the left which ends up flipping riders upside down and then through a downwards spiral to the right. The rides grand finale is speeding through a splash pond where onlookers get the chance to interact with the ride by getting soaked by the trains massive splash. After that the train heavily banks and turns to the left low to the ground. Next are a few airtime hills with slight banking right before entering the final brakerun.

That's a very B&M layout! I'd like to see something more then just immelmans, though. Can we can a dive machine loop please?

Dive Coasters are one of the best rides B&M ever developed.

I couldn't agree more. It really does make you wonder if a Busch Gardens/B&M contract actually existed because the Dive Coasters are in my opinion their best and most innovative design... with not much of a price tag compared to other B&M's. I'm not much of a B&M guy, but I do love Griffon and Sheikra as they're my favorite B&M's and in my top 10 coasters.

If there is any doubt that CP doesn't have the best coaster line-up in the country, a Dive Machine would push them over the edge in my opinion.

Non-compete clauses are fairly typical in the industry for parks to protect their investment. They do, however, expire after a certain amount of time and are typically limited to a certain number of miles...

I do recall hearing on the internet, back in the day, that Busch had exclusivity in the US for 5 years for Dive machines. It does seem strange that we haven't seen more built in the US.

Edited by larrygator

Dive Coasters are one of the best rides B&M ever developed.

I couldn't agree more. It really does make you wonder if a Busch Gardens/B&M contract actually existed because the Dive Coasters are in my opinion their best and most innovative design... with not much of a price tag compared to other B&M's. I'm not much of a B&M guy, but I do love Griffon and Sheikra as they're my favorite B&M's and in my top 10 coasters.

If there is any doubt that CP doesn't have the best coaster line-up in the country, a Dive Machine would push them over the edge in my opinion.

Non-compete clauses are fairly typical in the industry for parks to protect their investment. They do, however, expire after a certain amount of time and are typically limited to a certain number of miles...

I do recall hearing on the internet, back in the day, that Busch had exclusivity in the US for 5 years for Dive machines. It does seem strange that we haven't seen more built in the US.

Not to derail this thread, but weren't SFGADv and SFGAm rumored to get dive coasters in 2009-2010? I wonder why that never happened?

Can anyone catch me up on the rumors for the (possibly) new B&M Dive Machine? Thanks.

Click on the link beside the sub-title of this thread. The mods don't put them there just for fun

Count me as one excited for a dive machine at CP. Though to be honest, ever since Twisted Colossus was announced, I've always though it would be cool for CP to do something similar with Gemini.

I still do find it hard to believe that they would actually get a dive coaster in 2016, because they just got Rugaroo and they got Gatekeeper only a couple years ago. I would think that there new coaster would come at the minimum of 2017.

I am not believing that Cedar Point is getting a B&M Dive Machine coaster in 2016 since they got a new B&M coaster in 2013 (Gatekeeper) and a floorless remodel of an existing B&M coaster (Mantis/Rougaru). My guess is that Cedar Point will wait until 2017 for their Dive Machine so that they can keep the Calypso ride and the Turnpike cars operating for two more seasons before they're taken out for the new coaster.

I would rather see another family coaster added first before another thrill coaster. Cedar Point needs another that is fun for the entire family. AKA Firechaser Express or a spinning coaster. Something bigger than the small coasters they have in the children areas, but don't have to be over 48" to ride.

I would rather see another family coaster added first before another thrill coaster. Cedar Point needs another that is fun for the entire family. AKA Firechaser Express or a spinning coaster. Something bigger than the small coasters they have in the children areas, but don't have to be over 48" to ride.

Agreed, Cedar Point is really missing a coaster in the family-friendly department since they raised Iron Dragon's height limit 48" and taller and since Disaster Transport is gone as well. I was thinking something on the family-friendly side that isn't a kiddie coaster and that also doubles as a dark ride too like a "G rated" version of Wonder Mountain's Guardian at Canada's Wonderland or a wooden family coaster like Beastie/Woodstock Express at Kings Island.

Agreed, Cedar Point is really missing a coaster in the family-friendly department since they raised Iron Dragon's height limit 48" and taller and since Disaster Transport is gone as well. I was thinking something on the family-friendly side that isn't a kiddie coaster and that also doubles as a dark ride too like a "G rated" version of Wonder Mountain's Guardian at Canada's Wonderland or a wooden family coaster like Beastie/Woodstock Express at Kings Island.

The trouble is, coaster fanboys and CP fanboys would be in an uproar now if they added something more tame, and the park still doesn't seem like it wants to stop catering to the thrill-seeking teen demographic. I imagine they still make a ton of money from being a coaster-lovers' mecca, so they probably see no reason to shift their focus now.

^The trouble with your argument is that when Cedar Point (or any park) plans and builds a family attraction, they aren't as concerned about the CP Fanboys, coaster fanboys, or enthusiast opinions as they are concerned about families being excited and enjoying a new family ride.

In case you didn't notice, Cedar Point placed a HUGE emphasis on their new family attraction offerings for 2014. In both 2014 and 2015 they are putting an even bigger emphasis on the Hotel Breakers renovation to cater to whom? Families.

To say they are only catering to the "Thrill-seeking teens" would be very ignorant of what is going on at Cedar Point.

Cedar Point sure loves their self-described title as "The Roller Coaster Capital of the World," but they are definitely not only focused on roller coasters or thrill rides.

Families are who the park makes money off of, not thrill seeking enthusiasts.

I think it's pretty obvious why they want to cater to the family demographic. Do I love massive, crazy intense coasters? Heck yeah! But they wouldn't be possible without the funds provided by the families attracted to the park. In general terms, for every major thrill there should be 2 more family attractions to follow up. I love the direction the park has gone lately. Yes, they had to remove a few family rides in the process but I do feel like we're in a valley that we will soon be able to climb back up the other mountain. The Gemini Midway revamp and its new family rides were the first steps up and I really do think it's just the start.

To be fair, I see all kinds of families riding Millennium, Dragster and Gatekeeper. Just because the kids grow into teens doesn't mean the family goes away.

And also, didn't the park market Pipe Scream as a family coaster this year?

I still do find it hard to believe that they would actually get a dive coaster in 2016, because they just got Rugaroo and they got Gatekeeper only a couple years ago. I would think that there new coaster would come at the minimum of 2017.

Maybe the memo the news company found was just a decoy and this new dive coaster is heading to a smaller park, like VF or DP?

^^Oh my god, don't get everyone started on that whiny "O MY GOD MY park is so neglected :*( ,wah wah wah" crybaby shit. I can hear it now...

Anyways I'd personally love to see this, as I've always wondered why CF/CP seemed to shy away from divers, or flyers. Although Flyers for capacity reasons I imagine. This would really give them another good coaster, with its own unique flavor. Although I imagine mavericks drop still being more intense, this will be fantastic in its own way. Guess we'll be waiting another 3-4 years for "New Steel MeanER Streakier Roller Coaster"