TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I am intrigued to hear this new rumor regarding a Dive Coaster that may round out an already amazing lineup of coasters.

The price tag seems a little small to match the lofty details (rumors at this point...) being described so far. With that being said, I believe with three B&M projects in three years, and the fact that one of their newest concepts graces their new front gate, perhaps a heavy discount is being applied?

I have been avidly watching Oblivion 2.0 and Baron rising in Europe and was very happy to see not only that divers are making a comeback in the Western Hemisphere, but also that a zero g roll has appeared on Oblivion: Black Hole. Griffon is one of my all time favorites, but I always wondered if other elements were possible with the wider trains.

With Gatekeeper, Banshee, Leviathan, Behemoth, Rougarou, and Fury 325 being a big part of Cedar Fairs recent and potential success, I am pleased to see my favorite coaster manufacturer hand in hand with my favorite amusement park (and chain for that matter) I hope this project is real as I can't think of a more appropriate addition to Cedar Point.

Keep it up Cedar Fair! We love ya!

I'm not much of a B&M fan so the possibility of a dive machine doesn't excite me. I would much rather see an RMC Mean Streak transformation or an Intamin wooden coaster. Whatever the new coaster ends up being I will ride it every visit whether I'm a fan of it or not.

I absolutely love B&M Dive machines. Despite their short ride time they are a lot of fun to me and scare me a little bit the climb up and then the drop. I hope we can get some new elements into this ride. But after gate keeper I am not holding my breath or something too different

Dive Coasters are one of the best rides B&M ever developed.

I couldn't agree more. It really does make you wonder if a Busch Gardens/B&M contract actually existed because the Dive Coasters are in my opinion their best and most innovative design... with not much of a price tag compared to other B&M's. I'm not much of a B&M guy, but I do love Griffon and Sheikra as they're my favorite B&M's and in my top 10 coasters.

If there is any doubt that CP doesn't have the best coaster line-up in the country, a Dive Machine would push them over the edge in my opinion.

Can this memo be found anywhere online? But I absolutely love the idea! Anyone remember when Fury 325 was possibly going to be named Centurion? I think that could be a possible name for this coaster since they already have the Trademark.

I remember those days. That was back when people were discussing if Twisted Colossus would be a möbius coaster.

I got to ride SheiKra back in October and I couldn't agree with Chuck more. The ride took me by surprise and it was loads of fun, so I couldn't be more excited for the idea of a large scale dive machine for CP.

Though keeping B&M's ride catalog in mind, I'll probably be skeptical of it actually having a creative or cool layout. Even if it isn't, I'm sure it'll be a winner. Definitely looking forward to this hopefully happening.

Pros of dive machines:

-Vertical drops give a good hanging sensation in the front, as well as good pops of air in the back.

-Very visually pleasing and fun to watch, especially if splashdown elements are added

-It is different from everything else at Cedar Point

Cons:

-Aside from their signature vertical drops, none of them really have impressive or rememberable layouts.

-Large track budgets would make it difficult even for a park like Cedar Point to afford a full length dive machine.

Assuming this happens, I think that it will be more well-received than Gatekeeper. While dive machines are not my favorite coaster type in the world, one of these would seem like a good fit for Cedar Point, as they have nothing else exactly like this. It will not likely become my favorite attraction at the park, as I will probably continue to stick to Maverick.

On another note, does anyone else like the back row on dive machines better than the front? While I may not be as affected by the holding brake as others, what I find to be more terrifying is getting that pop of air in the back row as it slopes down to vertical while being 200 feet up.

A new 2016 Coaster at Cedar Point would be amazing (they still need a themed attraction though IMO), and in with everyone else in this thread, I fully support a Dive coaster. They are really unique rides, they give off the sense of "Bigger and Badder" more than other rides.

Millenium

Maverick

TTD

Raptor

Magnum

World's Biggest Dive Coaster

Who can compete with that? Six Coasters that would place in the MItch Hawker top 100, with two more B&Ms, an Intamin, and 8 more coasters not included.

The only reason I could see them using this restraints is if the ride has some sort of in line twist. Because weren't those restraint conceived as a way to combat the laterals on Wing coasters, which also makes me think that the only reason they are on Banshee is because of the in line twist

Edited by Projektion

Dive Coasters are one of the best rides B&M ever developed.

I couldn't agree more. It really does make you wonder if a Busch Gardens/B&M contract actually existed because the Dive Coasters are in my opinion their best and most innovative design... with not much of a price tag compared to other B&M's. I'm not much of a B&M guy, but I do love Griffon and Sheikra as they're my favorite B&M's and in my top 10 coasters.

If there is any doubt that CP doesn't have the best coaster line-up in the country, a Dive Machine would push them over the edge in my opinion.

Non-compete clauses are fairly typical in the industry for parks to protect their investment. They do, however, expire after a certain amount of time and are typically limited to a certain number of miles...