TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Last I knew, the new control system has this all automatically done. I know that the old block set up system, which had someone run to a button on the brake run outside of the station and push to prevent it from setting up, that was fixed I believe sometime around 2010-ish as I know I didn't have to worry about it when I worked on it in 2012. This new system, from what I've heard, it's all ran like all new coasters are, no longer have to worry about a bunch of extra stuff like the old '89 system had.

Yeah, fun fact - I was running to the safety brakes in 2009 and fell on the grated walkway that follows the track to the lift. Tore up my leg and arm that I fell on a bit. I'm sure I wasn't the only one this happened to in the past, but I'm sure it was a reason for them moving to a system that is done through the controls/automatically. The ride system was upgraded in the following off season and the ride policy was immediately updated to say that employees must WALK to the safety brakes. The park needed to protect their employees as well as protect themselves from legal action.

Its actually considered down time when the train stops there and the train must be manually advanced by two seperate buttons on opposite sides of the station. An interesting quirk that the pretty terrible electrical design of Magnum has. Anyone know if other Arrows have a similar operation quirk?

When Iron Dragon ran three trains, the ride would set up if the train hadn't cleared the final block, which would stop a train on the second lift. You'd have to run out to the second lift, wait for the operator to dispatch the train in the station and advance the train on the final block. The operator would call you, you'd jog the lift, and then have to sprint back to your position to get the next train's restraints checked or else the ride would set up again and you'd have to sprint back out into the woods. It was good incentive to hit interval, but it was usually guests being slow that would lead to a set-up, not the operators.

Wow I guess I must have gotten unlucky every time I rode it. I've only been to Cedar Point twice so I assumed this was the norm and didn't realize they were emergency brakes. That old control system from '89 sounds like a ride op's nightmare!

Actually, that board was pretty good. Magnum's board is a B&M designed board installed before last season started. It essentially broke the ride.

I've worked as a ride host at the park for the past three seasons, Magnum being my main ride in 2013 and 2014 so I've gotten used to the old control panel as well as the new one. In my opinion I prefer the old panel/system. Pretty much every co-worker of mine that's had the opportunity to work on both systems have said the same thing.

As far as for the switch that some have mentioned earlier about having to go out to underneath the "emergency brakes" in order to release them, they put a new switch at the ride host position at the back of the station so that a ride host doesn't have to run all the way out there every time a few years ago. After the train in the station is clear and the train right outside of the station is clear of those holding brakes, the person in the control booth has to press a button as the ride host at the back of the station simultaneously flips a switch in order to release the train outside the tunnel. It's the same way with the new system.

I've heard Gemini could be a nightmare as well with setting up back when it used to run three trains. I'd imagine it was slightly harder to hit interval on that ride with three trains since the safety brakes are the MCBR as well unlike Magnum where the safety brakes are at the end of the ride. Did anyone here work Gemini when CP still ran three trains? It seems like a pretty long walk from the station out to the MCBR to manually release the train stuck there.

And did Magnum start enforcing the locker policy to speed up intervals to avoid set ups? I'm aware the new control system is less complicated to restart when a setup does occur, but I'm guessing CP wanted to avoid the possibility of trains slamming to a stop in the emergency brakes. I heard intervals improved greatly after the locker policy was enforced.

I've heard Gemini could be a nightmare as well with setting up back when it used to run three trains. I'd imagine it was slightly harder to hit interval on that ride with three trains since the safety brakes are the MCBR as well unlike Magnum where the safety brakes are at the end of the ride. Did anyone here work Gemini when CP still ran three trains? It seems like a pretty long walk from the station out to the MCBR to manually release the train stuck there.

And did Magnum start enforcing the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy to speed up intervals to avoid set ups? I'm aware the new control system is less complicated to restart when a setup does occur, but I'm guessing CP wanted to avoid the possibility of trains slamming to a stop in the emergency brakes. I heard intervals improved greatly after the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy was enforced.

Gemini haven't ran 3 trains in at least 20+ years, if I remember correctly. Someone told me about that not too long ago, but I do know it's been quite a few years since it has. The safety brakes are the main reason why the 3-train operation ceased. From what I heard when I worked there, because the brakes are located immediately out of a turn, they're very unexpected for the riders and they stop pretty hard.

I do wish though that the 2 spare Gemini trains would of been installed onto CCMR. There was even a picture posted of the blue train running on it a couple years ago, but as we know, it never came to be. If I heard correctly, they couldn't get approval to run them because it would of required Arrow's authority, which as we all know, is impossible. I also heard parts were an issue too, because if those 2 trains were moved to CCMR, it would of meant that they couldn't part it out, which I believe they started to do now.

I've heard something similar about Magnum's new loose article policy, but not sure since I didn't get a chance to go down to CP in 2014.

Gemini haven't ran 3 trains in at least 20+ years, if I remember correctly. Someone told me about that not too long ago, but I do know it's been quite a few years since it has. The safety brakes are the main reason why the 3-train operation ceased. From what I heard when I worked there, because the brakes are located immediately out of a turn, they're very unexpected for the riders and they stop pretty hard.

The last year it ran all six trains was either 2002 or 2003. One of those.

^ That sounds about right. I can remember seeing all six trains running, but it's definitely been a while. I too wish they'd go ahead and put the spares on Mine Ride. Does anybody know why they haven't still?

I'm guessing either because the trains weren't certified to run on the Mine Ride or because CP decided they'd rather use the two extra trains for spare parts.

Gemeni should be treated like a wood coaster... ride it in the middle row of any car and it's much smoother. If you think it's rough you're probably sitting in a wheel seat.

Yeah I rode Gemini last year in May and I thought it was much rougher than when I rode it back in 2010. I guess it's just showing its age.

Pull back the curtain.

The Sandusky Register learned Monday details about what Cedar Point might be planning to build at the Good Time Theater location at the park.

A memo from Bolliger & Mabillard, based in Switzerland, appears to detail a new $15 million coaster tagged in the memo as The Dive Coaster.

Bollinger & Mabillard crafted The Dive Coaster, which simulates being in a Bomber that is diving straight down at breakneck speeds.

The memo is one of many proposals Cedar Point is looking at for the 2016 season, said Bryan Edwards, spokesman for Cedar Point.

"Our focus is on the 2015 season and launching Rougarou as well as our newly transformed Hotel Breakers," Edwards said.

Bollinger & Mabillard built the Gatekeeper winged coaster, which opened in 2013

Sandusky Register

Could something similar to Griffon be coming to the Point?

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Dive Machines. Given that I've only been on one (Griffon at Busch Gardens Williamsburg), after the drop it just wasn't really anything special. It lacked excitement and energy in my opinion. I hope Cedar Point doesn't get a Dive Machine. That's just my two cents.

That would be strange move, IMO. I've also ridden Griffon, while I thought it was good, I don't think its necessarily what Cedar Point needs at this point.

Furthermore, if Cedar Fair continues the recent trend of one major coaster project per year, I wouldn't think Cedar Point would be next on the list. Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion or even Valleyfair would seem more likely for 2016. Although at only $15 million, two projects would seem more likely.

The GP will eat up the diving aspect of it, just hope the layout after the drop is good. That's the biggest problem with Dive Coasters in my opinion. However, it never did specify B&M. It could be something else completely with the diving aspect.