TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I can think of three different times where I've told people, "You're gonna wanna hold on for this one," getting onto Maverick. I love the ride, but the second half is just too fast for its own good. I mean, if this is how intense the ride is as it currently stands, how intense was the heartline roll that got removed for being "too intense" before it even opened??

I always look forward to Halloweekends, because it gets dark early enough that I can waste time going on Mean Streak at night. I tend to like Mean Streak in general, but any monstrous woodie makes for a good night ride in my book.

Maybe I've only caught Mean Streak on bad days, but I have NEVER had an experience on that ride that didn't ruin my day. I'm a HUGE fan of coasters people traditionally call "too rough" too. I LOVE old Arrow coasters. Corkscrew? Vortex? I love them! I also like other "bad" coasters, including every stand-up I've ever been on. I've never met a woodie I didn't like either (or at least, not one I disliked… I've been on plenty of "meh" coasters).

I agree so much with that! Every time I rode Mean Streak (10 times) this year I really tried to find SOME sort of redeeming quality to the coaster. For me it's not "rough" that's the problem with it. I don't think it's thatrough at all (for a woodie.)The problem is its the poor layout. Now I haven't had a trimless run on the coaster but I feel even without them a boring layout is a boring layout.

On the Maverick side of things, I will a say the first few times I rode it I got a little beat up. However now, once I found a comfortable position to sit in the seat, I ride hands up through the entire course with no head banging at all. I rode Maverick 30+ times last year hands in the air with no head banging. It's my favorite ride at the park.

Edited by JRice92

The problem with Mean Streak are the trims. It's a much better ride when going full speed without the trims like it was the first couple years it was open. It was fast a had great lateral forces. Unfortunately, the structure gets torn up going full speed. I've never found it to be rough just slow these days.

Jim

I have been treated to two trim-less rides on Mean Streak in 2014. The biggest noticeable difference is the first drop and the following two drops where the train feels less sluggish and laterals are slightly more powerful. However, the ride is completely devoid of airtime without the trims as it is with the trims. Once you get to the midcourse, the second half of the coaster is the same as a trimmed ride. While it's fun to fly down the first drop without being held back, trim-less rides do not move Mean Streak up any higher from the basement of wooden coaster rankings. It is still boring, uneventful, and lacking any airtime. Not nearly as rough as several years ago, but there are so many better things Cedar Point could do with that space and amount of money they put into re-tracking every year.

The problem with Mean Streak are the trims.

The problem with Mean Streak is that it hasn't been replaced with something good.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Indeed!

Now I have a question for anyone who knows...is the Skyscraper at Challenge Park leaving? Can't find it anywhere on the website!

The problem with Mean Streak are the trims.

The problem with Mean Streak is that it hasn't been replaced with something good.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Indeed!

Now I have a question for anyone who knows...is the Skyscraper at Challenge Park being removed? Can't find it anywhere on the website!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post!

Edited by rcmfidl123

That's a very good question. It's no longer listed under the Challenge Park page, so I do wonder if it's leaving, either being scrapped or moved to another park. None of the webcams have moved in that general direction so it's hard to say what's going on with it. But if it's gone on the website, could be a good chance it's leaving the park.

Winter chill out tickets are now for sale here....

https://www.cedarpoint.com/plan-a-visit/events

Winter Chill Out

Saturday, February 21

The Winter Chill Out is an annual benefit for Give Kids The World, an organization that helps children with life-threatening illnesses (and their families) enjoy a worry-free family vacation.

Cedar Point is proud to partner with them, and you have a chance to help - and see the park in a completely different way: snow-covered and cold!

All ticket proceeds from this event go directly to Give Kids The World. Your ticket/donation is just $45 and includes:

Guided, walking tour of Cedar Point

Complimentary lunch

Presentation by park management

Behind-the-scenes views of the park

Other special surprises!

Tickets are required for this event and must be printed at home and then presented at the park for admission. Tickets cannot be purchased or presented at the park via mobile phone. The parking/toll fee will not be charged. Additional information on parking and entry will be displayed on your ticket.

Groups will be placed into four start times: 8:30, 9:15, 10 & 10:45 a.m. Please arrive at check-in AT your start time. You will choose your start time at ticket purchase.

Tours may last up to six hours.

In case of inclement weather, the event may be postponed to Saturday, Feburary 28. Please plan accordingly.

Winter attire is strongly suggested, as conditions at the park may change. This includes warm hats, gloves, coats, boots (snow and mud are possible). This is a walking tour.

Restrooms will be available at the start of the tour and at lunch. No other restrooms in the park will be available. Please plan accordingly.

Photography is allowed on the tour, unless otherwise noted by your tour guide. There will be areas where photography will not be permitted.

For up-to-the-minute info on the event, including weather updates, please follow Tony Clark on Twitter (@TonyClarkCP)

Hi all! This is my first time posting. Looking forward to the fun!

Cedar Point is my home park. However, I only made it out to the park one this past season. I had a platinum pass in 2013 and was able to visit more often. But even then, it seemed like Skyscraper was closed more often than it was open. We typically park in the Soak City lot, and I remember thinking that it seemed like the ride was rarely open, with the exception of the busy summer months. If I recall correctly, the ride was relocated from Dorney. I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Fair is passing the ride on to another one of their parks.

A video I filmed and edited from this past summer. Since Magnum is my favorite coaster at the park I thought it was deserving of a video. I hope you enjoy. Any thoughts about the video are much appreciated.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Great video! I still think Magnum has some of the most beautiful trains of all time!

^I used to be a huge Magnum fanboy, but my last two visits to the park 2014 and 2012 changed my thoughts on Magnum. It is certainly showing its age.

Last time I rode was in 2013 and I agree it's definitely aging on the poorer side. It's still my number 1 though. I have yet to experience airtime that relentless on any ride anywhere. It has the most beautiful setting of any roller coaster I have been on. It doesn't rely on any gimmicks. It's long. It has tunnels. And the nerd in me likes its historical value. Plus, the lines are never unreasonable. I think I could go to Cedar Point and ride nothing but Magnum all day and still leave satisfied.

A video I filmed and edited from this past summer. Since Magnum is my favorite coaster at the park I thought it was deserving of a video. I hope you enjoy. Any thoughts about the video are much appreciated.

Great video! Awesome to see how much the track and supports bend, you normally don't see this much in offride videos as they are usually recorded with handheld camera. If I were to offer any constructive criticism, there are some of the shots where it seems like the camera is not quite level. Other than that it was great!

I've never been on Magnum (or any other Arrow hyper) so I cannot comment on the ride experience, but I have to agree with what others have said about the trains, they really are some of the coolest looking trains there are.

I wish I "got" Magnum. I know this ride has a lot of insane, die-hard fans but I just don't get it. I always ride it when I'm at the park, I love the view from the lift but I find the ride to be too painful to enjoy most of the time.

For me it was fun but not much more. The best part was definitely the last bit with the airtime hills although they were relatively painful (but not as much as skyrush, for me). I'm not going to say its fans are all crazy but I don't find it more than: "Well, that was some good fun!"