TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

This may be a dumb question, but why do all of the coasters have their trains removed while Pipe Scream's is just shrink-wrapped and left on the track. I know it's not a real coaster, but doesn't it still need it's wheels replaced at the very least?

Zamperla Disk'Os usually do not have their ride vehicle completely removed. However, usually the wheels are removed and repaired/replaced in which the rest of the vehicle's structure is shimmed for support during the off-season. So it might appear that most of Pipe Scream has been simply shrink wrapped, but in reality many components have likely been removed from the main body of the ride vehicle for inspection, repairs, or replacement.

That's it exactly. On a Disk'O with the standard circular vehicles, all the seats typically come off and the floor itself folds upward on either side. It kinda looks like a big metal taco, to be honest.

^

I think it's probably just the lighting of the video because I can't see why they'd give Iron Dragon orange-ish supports when it's going to be right next to a big orange coaster.

You mean like how they repainted Iron Dragon the exact same colors as Top Thrill Dragster one year after TTD opened right next door? It's almost like they had too much spare paint laying around and just threw it on Iron Dragon!

Hey guys, I just looked at the webcam and I realized that all of Windseeker's LED lights were on. I was just wondering why they would do this. Why would they pay for the electricity to light up the lights when no one can see them?

Also, new blog entry. https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/Ill-let-this-slide

Hey guys, I just looked at the webcam and I realized that all of Windseeker's LED lights were on. I was just wondering why they would do this. Why would they pay for the electricity to light up the lights when no one can see them?

To quote their Facebook posting from the other day, there's a few pictures as well:

"We're closed, but our lights shine bright for a very special night!

Every year at this time, children with life-threatening illnesses and their families board a special Fantasy Flight from Cleveland, courtesy of United Airlines. It's all organized by volunteers and staff.

They'll fly around and over Cedar Point to take in the beautiful lights before returning to land at the "North Pole." A great gift, indeed!"

From what I can tell since it's already dark out, it looks like they're already starting the prep work to take it down.

gtt.thumb.JPG.e7fb49d46eeb71c2e0bb981e4fa21d56.JPG

Taken from Bing Maps Birds Eye view, from 2009-ish.

A few of the surrounding trees look like they've been taken down in front of the building. Also it looks like the power was cut to the area too, as there were lamp posts that were in front of the building too that should be on.

Will have to see tomorrow whether or not there's been work done.

Did anyone do the Santa Hustle this weekend? If so, how was it? (sorry for the double post, my computer wigged out and I can't seem to figure out how to delete a post)

I did, and it was excellent. Great race - very well organized, especially for what could have been a 'gimmick' event. We did the 5k, and it was almost entirely within the park. Lots of great views of off-season maintenance, but I was pacing my 10-year old to a hoped-for top-3 finish so couldn't linger much for pictures. Here are a few photos of the park on Sunday, though...

1-IMG_2304.thumb.JPG.7234ffbe0196509442f39c8d67446555.JPG

Rougarou

2-IMG_2305.thumb.JPG.0ee4d0de1804a8b7a0aacee55c3f10fd.JPG

Good Time Theatre

1-IMG_2298.thumb.JPG.f618aa2368074c260f6e0add5ae8dc61.JPG

Santa Hustle

- Andy

Yep, looks like they're starting to do the prep work to take down Good Time Theatre. The trees were cut down in front of the building as I thought last night. I'm assuming they're using the Luminosity bleacher area as sort of a staging area for the demolition crew. That whole entire area looks like they've been taking it apart.

cpcam.thumb.JPG.d2c49191a40634713abff1db7f87d1f1.JPG

Taken at 10:45a on 12/18/14

I believe someone asked this earlier, and no, they usually don't take down those bleachers. That area must be getting used for something else then while they tear down GTT.

I believe someone asked this earlier, and no, they usually don't take down those bleachers. That area must be getting used for something else then while they tear down GTT.

The bleachers are taken down every off season. I don't know the reason why I just know from the last couple years I have gone in for pre season clean up they were putting up bleachers.

That just seems like a waste of time. Unless the spot is used for some other purpose like storage, then I can see, but taking them down, storing the parts and having it reassembled in the spring just feels like a waste of time. They just seemed like normal aluminum bleachers used at many sports stadiums that are outside in all sorts of weather environments.

Just checked on the webcam and it seems like they've moved it back towards the main midway. Guess the Theatre isn't coming down yet, but I wouldn't doubt if it'll start sometime after the New Year.

I'm sure if they take down the bleachers they do it for a reason... they don't just do it for fun. And while you may be right, I doubt the position of the webcam is an indication of whether or not something will be removed in the near future. Sometimes they just like to move them around.

This is less glamorous than a new ride, but I'd be willing to bet that if and when Cedars comes down, there will be a parking lot expansion. When I lived there, there were always complaints from the people with boats at the marina that there weren't enough spots for them to park and that employees were sneaking their cars into that lot instead of parking in one of the employee lots.