TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I did get inside the theater for one last show at Halloweekends this year which was kind of neat as I had not been in there since I was a kid and it was the Imax.

But yeah, the theater seemed dated and I am sure that whatever replaces it will be much nicer.

At least it's an actual theater instead of a converted picnic pavilion with terrible acoustics like the Jack Aldrich Theater.

Although removing the car ride is a possibility....mould we also see the first 600ft coaster being here as a polar coaster? We lost the space spiral for gatekeeper and only have the Ferris wheel right now....

Could be cool!

Windseeker would like a word with you.

I wonder if this announcement is because of a deal struck at IAAPA. Perhaps something was on the table for a while and the park signed the dotted line in Orlando.

Edited by DanTheBooker

Although removing the car ride is a possibility....mould we also see the first 600ft coaster being here as a polar coaster? We lost the space spiral for gatekeeper and only have the Ferris wheel right now....

Could be cool!

Windseeker is not an observation ride in any way you look at it. It just has a nice view.

Could be cool!

I wonder if this announcement is because of a deal struck at IAAPA. Perhaps something was on the table for a while and the park signed the dotted line in Orlando.

I disagree, although that has AMAZING views (I rode the one in CW and can only imagine it at CP). A standard "mom with the little kids) wouldn't/couldn't go on Windseeker! This would be the same argument for Power Tower...

^ Seconded. Honestly, even though Cedars is pretty nasty, not having to deal with the Commons dorms was a relief. You can't beat a five minute walk to work, and you hardly spend any time in your room anyway if you work at the park. Commons was genuinely scary after dark, so I usually made my friends hang out on point instead of venturing down there.

If Cedar Point wanted to easily enhance the guest experience through better service provided by Team Members, providing housing that is safe, clean, and comfortable would help. I could never be employed in this company in a position that has any influence or oversight into housing and walk through Commons or Cedars seeing the conditions those employees live in for the entire summer. There is no supervision or rules enforced past the entrance gate. Once you are in the complex, anything is possible. Besides the unsanitary restrooms, crumbling walls/ceilings, new pungent smells each day, and back puncturing mattresses, employees are forced to live between paper thin walls that can barely muffle the loud music into odd hours of the night, drunks running the hallways, or even tune out normal conversation in the hallway. Quite honestly, Commons is only a few bars away from being a prison. Of course, experiencing this requires you to make it to your room safely as there is very little lighting outside of the buildings which provides a nice environment for fighting or other related behaviors.

I have seen some very dated college dorms from the 1920s, but they are livable because they are reasonably maintained and have rules enforced on a 24 hour basis. Cedar Point could take a few tips.

Just throwing in my two cents. I couldn't let this subject pass without inserting my opinion.

Edit: this is based from 2013 and 2014 experience.

Edited by ajfelice

Cedar Fair has done some major improvements to the Commons dorms and I've heard there are a lot more changes coming in the next few years.

Here's the album for the new building that was built this year and the updated rec room. The hallways are no longer dark (seemed like the building I stayed in when I worked there for Halloweekends 2012 were pretty dark,) the new bathrooms in the building actually look very nice (no longer white tile and concrete blocks,) and a much larger store for the associates.

I don't expect anything major to happen for 2015 due to the Breakers renovation, but I wouldn't doubt there will be some more additions in the Commons area in the next couple years. Do have to say, adding at least a couple more buses (or at the minimum another line) and speeding up the dispatch time would help. Ouimet has been taking feedback from talking to a few of the associates and he's trying to fix a lot of the issues that Kinzel basically ignored.

I'm back with yet another video. This one focuses on Magnum since I unintentionally took quite a lot of Magnum footage. Let me know what you think.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/XPHXo-prtAA[/youtu_be]

Cool video! Magnum's really underrated in my opinion. It's roughness has never bothered me, It looks beautiful along the beach and some probably the most intense airtime of any coaster on those last few hills.

My guess re: removal of the good tine theater would be for a dark ride, a la wonder mountain guardian and iron reef.

I like that idea

Same but what if the removed the commons and rerouted that perimeter road? The park would have a lot of space to build a new GCI or B&M.

If they put in a Triotech dark ride, then I think they should put it in the old pirates building.

If they put in a Triotech dark ride, then I think they should put it in the old pirates building.

I thought the building was partially taken over by a restaurant. Is there enough room in the old building?

Yes, Chickie's & Pete's (formerly Game Day Grill) took over a portion of the ride area, but I believe the rest of the building is prop storage for Halloweekends. The dark ride could fit back into that building, but knowing Cedar Point, I'm expecting the dark ride to have a thrill factor slightly higher than Guardian, but themed near the level of Voyage, so it really wouldn't fit in the building if they're planning the dark ride/roller coaster hybrid again.

When CP announced the new atered events area by Breakers my first impression was they were getting rid of the Point Pavilion catered area by the main gate, which is behind Raptor but the more I thought about it the Pirate Ride building is too small for someone like Triotech to work with plus you couldn't really expand it with Raptor and its queue behind the building.

The Coliseum is very under-utilized other than the massive aracde on the ground floor but the only use I can see the second floor be used for is a ride like Kennywood's Ghostwood Estate (a Great Pumpkin dark ride perhaps that would appeal to families with gentle scares than the all out creepiness of Ghostwood). Then the question is where would the queue fit since Kiddieland is right there on one side and Planet Snoopy on the other side.

The Good Time Theater/Turnpike Cars area is a nice plot of land and I'd hate to see it all used for one large adark ride.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Kiddie Kingdom get shuffled around a bit - move the Carousel to Frontiertown and then move the kiddie rides to the east side of the Coliseum where Chaos used to be. It would open up a nice chunk of land along the main midway to be re-landscaped.

I'm not minimizing the value of the Kiddie Kingdom area for families with young children. However, it looks like crap and the rides can be moved with minimum difficulty to another part of the park.

the more I thought about it the Pirate Ride building is too small for someone like Triotech to work with plus you couldn't really expand it with Raptor and its queue behind the building.

That was my thinking also, but I never really paid attention to the size of the building.