TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Also, quick side note back to stand ups, does being tall make them not suck? I'm 6' 4" and I've never had problems on stand ups. I actually really liked Mantis, and the only reason I'm not super bummed to see it go is because I know everyone else hates it, and I bet it's a cool layout as floorless.

I'm 5'9" and I've never had a problem on the stand-ups. Green Lantern is actually one of my favorite rides at Great Adventure, and it's most people's least. People just complain about everything, you'll come to accept it!

Also, quick side note back to stand ups, does being tall make them not suck? I'm 6' 4" and I've never had problems on stand ups. I actually really liked Mantis, and the only reason I'm not super bummed to see it go is because I know everyone else hates it, and I bet it's a cool layout as floorless.

I'm 5'9" and I've never had a problem on the stand-ups. Green Lantern is actually one of my favorite rides at Great Adventure, and it's most people's least. People just complain about everything, you'll come to accept it!

GL was better and smoother in Kentucky as Chang. GL is my second most favorite standup. Riddlers Revenge is my #1 at 6 Flags Magic Mountain. I wouldn't even ride Mantis. Just too much head banging. Too compressed of a layout. If it was stretched out I could've been better. Same layout for the new ride, but I'll give it a chance.

Off topic of the stand up coaster discussion, but does anyone know what time of the year Cedar Fair typically releases the park schedules for next season? I want to go to opening weekend at Cedar Point and then a week long trip to Kings Island, Kings Dominion, and Cedar Point. I'm already trying to plan flights etc. Thanks everyone!

I think that in the next few years Cedar Point will turn Mean Streak into a hybrid coaster because now that is the only rough ride.

Agreed, I go to SFOT here and when I rode Mean Streak this season, it reminded me A LOT of the original Texas Giant. While yes they were both built by Dinn Corp one year apart, they essentially are brother rides. It's likely only a matter of time. The park knows people don't like it, they likely are just waiting to make their money on Gatekeeper. It wouldn't shock me if the park already has a plan with RMC to create some incredible transformation. The park knows the kind of publicity and money it will generate, so they are gonna make sure to maximize the publicity first.

I think that in the next few years Cedar Point will turn Mean Streak into a hybrid coaster because now that is the only rough ride.

Agreed, I go to SFOT here and when I rode Mean Streak this season, it reminded me A LOT of the original Texas Giant. While yes they were both built by Dinn Corp one year apart, they essentially are brother rides. It's likely only a matter of time. The park knows people don't like it, they likely are just waiting to make their money on Gatekeeper. It wouldn't shock me if the park already has a plan with RMC to create some incredible transformation. The park knows the kind of publicity and money it will generate, so they are gonna make sure to maximize the publicity first.

I think the way Cedar Fair treats Cedar Point they will probably get the first Cedar Fair RMC hybrid. Cedar Point is always getting lots of big roller coasters, and Cedar Fair basically spoils Cedar Point considering how parks like Michigan's Adventure have not gotten a new coaster in 7 years, and that was a used Vekoma SLC! I am complaining too much since my home park is Canada's Wonderland which is not that neglected.

Hi everyone! First post here!

I am thinking about going this Friday with some relatives and stay from 6-midnight. How crowded will the regular rides be? Not interested in the haunted house stuff. Would Saturday be a better day to go?

Also do they close any rides if it's too cold?

^ I would imagine that it would be very crowded, since it's Halloween. Saturday will be extremely crowded as well. Personally, I wouldn't go without a FastLane+, but that's just me. If it does get too cold, yes, they will start to shut down rides. 42-45 degrees is the temperature range where rides will start to close. You may want to contact the park and ask them about their temperature policy if there's a cold forecast.

I think the way Cedar Fair treats Cedar Point they will probably get the first Cedar Fair RMC hybrid. Cedar Point is always getting lots of big roller coasters, and Cedar Fair basically spoils Cedar Point considering how parks like Michigan's Adventure have not gotten a new coaster in 7 years, and that was a used Vekoma SLC! I am complaining too much since my home park is Canada's Wonderland which is not that neglected.

I get the feeling you think Cedar Fair shares all of the profits made by individual parks. While it is a large corporation, the parks still operate separately. The money Cedar Point makes goes to Cedar Point, and that's it. Michigan's Adventure is having trouble because it is not as popular. Simple as that. The corporation helps with operating the parks the same and sharing ideas between them, that's for sure, but in the end, each park makes their own decisions and their own money.

^Michigan's Adventure isn't really having issues at all in most respects, it has the highest profit margin in the chain and attendance has been up. In that sense, it would make sense not to build a really large ride until attendance starts to slip and/or enough money is saved up. Afterall, they're still riding the Thunderhawk wave (yes, I know it was relocated but it increased attendance significantly in 2007 and has been up ever since...even through the downturn).

You are correct in the sense that each park operates independently. Each park literally "has their own account". Just don't go to the Facebook pages for the parks because they'll point out about how "The money made at Michigan's Adventure must go to Cedar Point then" . Corporate planning for the parks is great and there is a lot of experience there. Essentially, the General Managers do have quite a bit of say on what can come to the parks now from what has been stated. It passes through corporate and the planning department works with each individual park to figure out the details of the next project. It's a really good system.

As for Mean Streak, I had the same feeling when I was there last weekend for the final rides on Mantis. Don't get me wrong, the ride was surprisingly more smooth than I have remembered it being in years. I actually enjoyed it more than usual. But, the transformation of Mantis kind of moves in to show that the park and chain aren't afraid to change things up to make rides declining in ridership a bit more popular.

Mantis, in my opinion, wasn't so bad of a stand-up coaster (and was a lot more comfortable when wearing jeans ), but, no doubt, that Rougarou will be popular. It will have the pull of a new coaster and ridership will be high. Not to mention, capacity will be too (now that three trains will be back to running). Loading and unloading also won't take as long as on the stand-up version. While it won't be too terribly of an expensive renovation, Mean Streak more so would be. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

If the closing photo booths are any signs, Mantis & Mean Streak have had theirs closed for awhile

^There's a ride planned for Orlando in 2016 over 500 feet, so....

This is true. However it is not a coaster where you experience a 500' drop or speed. It a coaster that is built up instead of out.

Cedar point was not the First 400' coaster, they were the first 400' full Circuit coaster.

I still think that 500' needs to be broke where you at least feel the speed. I don't know, but I do think it was said perfectly that whatever it is, is something we won't know. I do believe Cedar Point has something huge planed, they already have plans for their 150, what it is will be the game for awhile.

This is true. However it is not a coaster where you experience a 500' drop or speed. It a coaster that is built up instead of out.

Cedar point was not the First 400' coaster, they were the first 400' full Circuit coaster.

I still think that 500' needs to be broke where you at least feel the speed. I don't know, but I do think it was said perfectly that whatever it is, is something we won't know. I do believe Cedar Point has something huge planed, they already have plans for their 150, what it is will be the game for awhile.

It is just going to be a Polercoaster. The ride is just a large tower with twist but no big drops 500ft down.

Part of me hopes Cedar Point never does anything with Mean Streak just because it's fun watching enthusiasts bitch about it and act like it's one of the worst coasters they've ever ridden. The ride's not good by any stretch of the imagination but there are a ton of rides out there that are far worse. People only complain about it so much because it's at Cedar Point and it takes up a ton of room.

Fun Fact: If you ride in the front and lean forward with your back off the seat back the ride is much smoother than Blue Streak (though it's a stupid way to ride a coaster). it's still boring, and Blue Streak is still better but Mean Streak is smoother so it's roughness is a little overblown.

Part of me hopes Cedar Point never does anything with Mean Streak just because it's fun watching enthusiasts bitch about it and act like it's one of the worst coasters they've ever ridden. The ride's not good by any stretch of the imagination but there are a ton of rides out there that are far worse. People only complain about it so much because it's at Cedar Point and it takes up a ton of room.

Fun Fact: If you ride in the front and lean forward with your back off the seat back the ride is much smoother than Blue Streak (though it's a stupid way to ride a coaster). it's still boring, and Blue Streak is still better but Mean Streak is smoother so it's roughness is a little overblown.

Mean Streak is nowhere near as rough as it used to be, and I can remember when Blue Streak ran A LOT rougher than Mean Streak ever did. I don't think a single enthusiast complained about it. When I rode Mean Streak last year, it was the smoothest ride I ever had on it. I've always liked Mean Streak, but if they RMC it, I won't complain.

Yeah if CP one day really will break the height record again I wonder what type of coaster it will be. I mean, a full circuit one would cost a fortune and they already have MF. And a launched ride (no matter that happened after the top hat/whatever the tallest element would be, would make dragster redundant) so I really don't know.

The real question: Where would they PUT a 500 foot roller coaster??

And Mean Streak is much better than it used to be. It's vaguely enjoyable now. If you don't sit over the wheels. And sit near the front of the train. And if you hold your breasts, my female friends have told me.

My wild guess has always been that the next gigantic project for Cedar Point would probably be in the location of Camper Village. However, I don't know how popular it is, so I'm probably completely wrong here.

Of course...I remember all of the ACErs speculating years ago how the next thing to go would be the parking lot. I think not.

I have a strong feeling that the next big project had to do with frontier town/mean streak. It that is not the big project, then I only can think of using an area by raptor (small) or using the beach more. Just some simple ideas

Unless they turn Mean Streak into a hybrid coaster, they would probably remove it than build a new coaster there.

I have a strong feeling that the next big project had to do with frontier town/mean streak. It that is not the big project, then I only can think of using an area by raptor (small) or using the beach more. Just some simple ideas

Unless they turn Mean Streak into a hybrid coaster, they would probably remove it than build a new coaster there.

That is a very strong idea. Knowing the popularity of hybrids right now, getting in that market will not only bring something new (possibly some records to market) but a new life to the coaster.

If this does not happen, then I have to agree that we are close to seeing it on the way out. Close could mean 5 years. I don't think we will see MS get to 35.

My wild guess has always been that the next gigantic project for Cedar Point would probably be in the location of Camper Village. However, I don't know how popular it is, so I'm probably completely wrong here.

Of course...I remember all of the ACErs speculating years ago how the next thing to go would be the parking lot. I think not.

Camper Village was removed this last off season for more cabins for Lighthouse Point.