TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I noticed that the Sky Ride was closed all weekend despite minimal winds which is very strange for Cedar Point. I assumed it had something to do with them being under-staffed but it looks like they're actually doing some work on one of the towers. Hopefully this means the ride will re-open this weekend.

From the live cam...

511304673_ScreenShot2014-10-15at10_57_39AM.thumb.png.991ab9f40990fbeb53dc4e673bd56788.png

When did you take that? Because during the week, they do work on everything. Skyride isn't supposed to be open on Friday, if that's when you were there. Saturday and Sunday it actually was pretty windy.

A combination of both winds and staffing. I can confirm that Cedar Point eventually decided it was more worth their time and resources to send their staff to other locations that were in need of help instead of waiting on the winds to die down in hopes of only a few hours of Sky Ride operation. Before you jump on CP for something like this, I can tell you a bunch of parks do similar things. When staffing is short, you have to make the tough decisions. Your best hope for a Sky Ride experience is a calm start to the day with winds so that the staff isn't sent away to other rides.

When did you take that? Because during the week, they do work on everything. Skyride isn't supposed to be open on Friday, if that's when you were there. Saturday and Sunday it actually was pretty windy.

A combination of both winds and staffing. I can confirm that Cedar Point eventually decided it was more worth their time and resources to send their staff to other locations that were in need of help instead of waiting on the winds to die down in hopes of only a few hours of Sky Ride operation. Before you jump on CP for something like this, I can tell you a bunch of parks do similar things. When staffing is short, you have to make the tough decisions. Your best hope for a Sky Ride experience is a calm start to the day with winds so that the staff isn't sent away to other rides.

I can't bash the park for that because I know it's very unlike them and they were obviously in a tough spot. When we were there in the summer the Skyride was closed one day all day until 9:15 at night because of wind (that for awhile also closed Raptor and Gatekeeper). The fact that they bothered to open the ride with just 45 minutes left in the day was amazing.

A few weeks ago, I posted on here asking for advice on a mid-July Cedar Point trip for next year. My plans have changed slightly and I will likely be going in early or mid-June for 2 or 3 weekdays. How should I expect crowds and lines to be then? Not as bad as mid-July, I suppose?

^^I read somewhere on this thread that Cedar Point doesn't really get real busy till the end of June. I could be wrong, but I think that ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings a bell.

Since when does MF have short lines? When I went in the end of June, MF's line was unbelievably short, then I got back on after that ride, then the line started by the transfer. And then I went to ride TTD, and there was no line. How does this happen?

Anyone else going this weekend? I haven't been in a couple of months so I decided to head up tomorrow. I'm guessing it won't be that busy looking at the weather but I have been wrong before. Sunday should be fun running around trying to find the last Mantis badges.

Anyone else going this weekend? I haven't been in a couple of months so I decided to head up tomorrow. I'm guessing it won't be that busy looking at the weather but I have been wrong before. Sunday should be fun running around trying to find the last Mantis badges.

I'll be going on Sunday this weekend, I will also be trying to receive one of the last rider passes for Mantis. In the past month I've actually taken about 6-7 rides on Mantis. It's nowhere near my favorite coasters but I never though it was terrible.

I was thinking about 2016 recently and I realized something. Raptor was built 4 years after B&M's first coaster was built. So, if they were gonna continue that trend an RMC could be built in either 2015 or 2016. If they start construction on Iron Streak at the end of 2015 it could open in 2016. That would leave a big enough gap for another expensive coaster to be built in 2020 for the 150th anniversary.

I was thinking about 2016 recently and I realized something. Raptor was built 4 years after B&M's first coaster was built. So, if they were gonna continue that trend an RMC could be built in either 2015 or 2016. If they start construction on Iron Streak at the end of 2015 it could open in 2016. That would leave a big enough gap for another expensive coaster to be built in 2020 for the 150th anniversary.

Why don't we start speculation on that mystery coaster! I bet it's going to be a B&M flyer with some elements going over the lake.

I'll be going on Sunday this weekend, I will also be trying to receive one of the last rider passes for Mantis. In the past month I've actually taken about 6-7 rides on Mantis. It's nowhere near my favorite coasters but I never though it was terrible.

Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up on Sunday. That goes for anyone, the more the merrier.

How is that a trend? Since then they built Mantis which opened 6 years after B&M's first coaster was built, Millennium Force which opened 21 years after Intamin's first coaster... Wicked Twister that was built 23 years after, Dragster 24 years after... I don't see a trend. lol

I think you're reading way too far into this.

Why don't we start speculation on that mystery coaster! I bet it's going to be a B&M flyer with some elements going over the lake.

Are we speculating on a coaster that we think might open in 6 years just because it's their 150th anniversary and we decided we should get a coaster even though the park hasn't even hinted at that being something they're interested in doing? Okay... just making sure.