TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ And to add to that point it is a good time to remind everyone that Tony even tweeted don't take the animation to heart - it is there for illustration purposes only.

You basically repeated my original point. Since the trim is to ensure a "regular" ride experience that means that it is used to compensate for what the design lacks. Therefore KK doesn't have one due to the "kinks" being worked out. Or KK (SF) just doesn't care, thus eliminating the trim. Either way, what we're both getting at is more/less the same thing.

Not to beat a dead horse but my point was that the design is not lacking anything or has kinks. It would be more so park preference to add the trim (such as how MF has trim brackets but CP hasn't elected to add them) not a design issue by B&M. I'm saying the trims are usually there to compensate for changing in weight of trains, weather - stuff that has nothing to do with any design "flaws." (Sure there may be a case here or there when there was a design issue but not in the Mantis case).

I always wonder what the point of that trim on MF would have been . Did they think that the brakes wouldn't stop the train in time or something?

To weigh in on the trim/no trim Mantis/Chang thing, keep in mind that Mantis's drop is ten degrees steeper and has a slight left-to-right bank. Chang's drop is straight. And I believe the space between elements was elongated for Chang. Essentially, Chang is like a slightly more drawn-out mirror of Mantis, for the first half, which seemed less intense to me when I rode both.

Interesting, thanks for the info

Next Summer, I'm making my first ever trip to the Point. I know it's still pretty early, but I'm starting to plan my trips for next year. I have a few questions.

1) I'm probably going in mid-July for 2-3 weekdays. How bad will lines and crowds be? Would it be worth buying Fast Lane or Fast Lane Plus one of those days?

2) In what order should I ride the coasters? I plan on riding Dragster first since that looks the most breakdown-prone, but after that, how should I go?

3) What flat rides are worth checking out?

4) Where are the best places to sit on the top coasters?

5) Mean Streak: Is there a seat where I can get a decent ride, or should I skip it altogether?

6) Which on-site hotels have the best deals?

Any input is appreciated.

For what it's worth, when at the park on Friday and looking at the ride, The entire lift hill, turn, drop and most of the loop was painted, but the trim area (trim and track around it) weren't painted... Could be waiting on that part, or could be waiting for it to be removed, either way I really don't think it's an issue.

Next Summer, I'm making my first ever trip to the Point. I know it's still pretty early, but I'm starting to plan my trips for next year. I have a few questions.

1) I'm probably going in mid-July for 2-3 weekdays. How bad will lines and crowds be? Would it be worth buying Fast Lane or Fast Lane Plus one of those days?

2) In what order should I ride the coasters? I plan on riding Dragster first since that looks the most breakdown-prone, but after that, how should I go?

5) Mean Streak: Is there a seat where I can get a decent ride, or should I skip it altogether?

Basing my opinions of attendance on weekdays in July this year, here are my thoughts:

1) Crowds will be light. Weather will be your biggest obstacle. On my first day, I was able to get on every coaster at least once (Maverick, MF, TTD & Magnum I was able to get on multiple times) without the need for FL or FL+. I purchased FL+ on the second day strictly for being able to re-ride Maverick, TTD, and MF a bunch, which was worth it (as rain shut a good deal of the coasters down for about 2-3 hours, so time needed to be made up).

2) If you're staying at a CP hotel, take advantage of early entry to get on Maverick and MF while lines are short, especially if you are considering not purchasing FL+, as Maverick will likely be at least 45+ minutes all day. When the park opens, head to TTD first (usually not open for early-admission), and then work your way around the park as you wish.

3) Pipe Scream, Giant Wheel, Windseeker, Cedar Downs Racing Derby, and MaXair are all worth checking out.

4) I prefer front seats, but there isn't a bad seat on Maverick or TTD. Do NOT ride in a third row (3, 6, 9, 12, 15) on Magnum, in any car. The back outside seats on Gatekeeper provide the most intensity, but the front is also worth a ride.

5) Avoid even-numbered rows (wheel seats) and you'll be fine. This ride isn't nearly as rough as people say, it is just slow and does not have any airtime. Ride it and judge for yourself.

6) I stayed at Breakers and had a pleasant experience. Proximity to the park and its many entrances is unbeatable. Breakers Express will likely have the best nightly rates though.

I went for two days in late July this year, so here's some advice based on my experience:

1. Both days I visited the park (a Tuesday and Wednesday) were moderately crowded by Cedar Point standards. The headliners had 1-2 hour waits, other major coasters were around 30 minutes, and most other rides were 15 minutes or less. It did rain on one of the days, which reduced crowds in the afternoon and evening somewhat. If you have the money, I would absolutely recommend buying Fast Lane for one day of your visit and use that day to get as many laps on the major coasters as possible, then hit the smaller coasters and non-coaster rides on your other day(s). It may be a good idea to ride Maverick and Top Thrill Dragster on your first day and buy Fast Lane on your second, as you'll want to be sure you want several rides each on those if springing for Plus. If money isn't a constraint you can buy Fast Lane for a second day, but you really only need one day of Fast Lane (especially for a three day trip).

2. If you get early entry, use it on Maverick. Most people will go straight to Millennium Force, so during early entry you'd probably only get two or three rides on it (versus four to six on Maverick). You can either ride Top Thrill Dragster right at opening or later in the day, as the line shrinks in the late afternoon/early evening. If you go there at opening and it isn't testing, leave and come back later. If you do not have early entry, start at Maverick one morning, Top Thrill Dragster another morning, and Millennium Force the third morning (if applicable). As for coaster order, just do the back half of the park first (Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, Magnum XL-200, Gemini, Millennium Force, Rougarou, and surrounding coasters) and go to the front (GateKeeper, Wicked Twister, Raptor, etc.) mid-afternoon. We managed to get on all the coasters (except Millennium Force) in 8 hours (starting at 2 P.M.) with no Flash Pass by going in the following order: GateKeeper, Wicked Twister, Raptor, Blue Streak, Iron Dragon, Mantis (Rougarou), Mean Streak, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Maverick, Gemini, Woodstock Express, Magnum XL-200, Corkscrew, Top Thrill Dragster.

3. Skyhawk, Power Tower (Turbo Drop only), Witches Wheel, Cedar Downs, and MaXair are the must ride flats. I also strongly recommend riding the Cedar Point and Lake Erie Railroad, at least the portion from Frontiertown to the Main Midway. The other flats may be ridden as time allows and are worthwhile if you've never been on something of that type before. I recommend skipping the three water rides unless you feel like getting drenched (even the least wet, Shoot the Rapids, will still leave you dripping and will flood your shoes).

4. My preferred seats (these seem to be different depending on who you ask):

Blue Streak: Front and back car are both good; avoid third row in car

Cedar Creek Mine Ride: Middle of the train

Corkscrew: Front

GateKeeper: Front, left side

Gemini: Back half of train

Iron Dragon: Front

Magnum XL-200: Front car and middle row of back car

Maverick: Slight preference for front, but everywhere is good

Mean Streak: Front; avoid the back row of any car

Millennium Force: Front (if you only wait for one front seat ride, do it here)

Raptor: Front

Rougarou: Front

Top Thrill Dragster: Second row (so you avoid the huge front seat wait), but it doesn't make that much of a difference

Wicked Twister: No preference

5. I rode this one twice (once in the front, once in the middle) and didn't really find it that rough. I think the park has done a lot of recent retracking, as when I rode in 2008 the ride was very shaky. Either way, it's a pretty dull ride. Just avoid the wheel seats and you'll probably be fine.

6. Can't help much with this as I never really looked for deals. I can say that I've stayed at Castaway Bay and Breakers Express, and Breakers Express was definitely the cheaper option, but it is a very basic hotel. If you want something on the peninsula, however, you're pretty much stuck with Hotel Breakers (haven't stayed here so no comment).

From a "local,"

1. As said before, crowds shouldn't be too bad during the week. If it's crowded when you're there, buy a FL+ at the park.

2. I typically start with Dragster then go to the back of the park and work my way to the front.

3. Cedar Downs is the only flat I even bother with anymore. It's a classic and it's fantastic.

4. The only coasters I personally have seating preferences are MF (front) and Gatekeeper (back left). All of the others don't matter to me.

5. Stay toward the front or middle. The back isn't for the weak.

6. Breakers Express is cheapest, but you still have to pay for parking. I prefer to stay at the Hotel Breakers because of the location. The Bon-Air section is the cheapest and will be newly renovated when you visit.

Hope this helps!

From a "local,"

1. As said before, crowds shouldn't be too bad during the week. If it's crowded when you're there, buy a FL+ at the park.

2. I typically start with Dragster then go to the back of the park and work my way to the front.

3. Cedar Downs is the only flat I even bother with anymore. It's a classic and it's fantastic.

4. The only coasters I personally have seating preferences are MF (front) and Gatekeeper (back left). All of the others don't matter to me.

5. Stay toward the front or middle. The back isn't for the weak.

6. Breakers Express is cheapest, but you still have to pay for parking. I prefer to stay at the Hotel Breakers because of the location. The Bon-Air section is the cheapest and will be newly renovated when you visit.

Hope this helps!

When i stayed at breakers express I had free parking

For what it's worth, when at the park on Friday and looking at the ride, The entire lift hill, turn, drop and most of the loop was painted, but the trim area (trim and track around it) weren't painted... Could be waiting on that part, or could be waiting for it to be removed, either way I really don't think it's an issue.

Shown from Bryan Edwards Twitter:

ByPVv4SIcAE9jee.jpg:large

Stayed at Breakers a while back, so I had ERT. First ride for ERT was Maverick for my wife and I. Made her step up her running that morning and ended up front row on like the third train of the day. On that day, Maverick did pack up. Meanwhile we rode MF next with ERT and it was walk-on.

Depends on how many days your going to the park. Soak city can be worth it just to get away from the park and relax a little. I for one go to bubbles the swim up bar a few times a year just to relax chill out and talk to some super nice people and also to get a beer. then go back to the park later in the day and ride more kinda breaks the day up.

Depends on how many days your going to the park. Soak city can be worth it just to get away from the park and relax a little. I for one go to bubbles the swim up bar a few times a year just to relax chill out and talk to some super nice people and also to get a beer. then go back to the park later in the day and ride more kinda breaks the day up.

I agree. Bubbles is great if you just want to get away from the crowds, unwind and have a couple of beers or cocktails.

Most of the slides at Soak City are pretty standard, but I think that their (newer) lazy river is one of the better one's that I have ridden.

Thank you for all the great info.

Also, is there anything in Cedar Point's waterpark that's worth checking out?

I've never been to Soak City, but based on looking at it I'd skip it if you only have two days. If you have three, it might be worth spending a few hours on one of your non-Fast Lane days there. Some of the slides look decent, but they're all old-school tube or body slides. I've got a feeling the short water coaster at Castaway Bay is better than anything in Soak City attraction-wise.

Shown from Bryan Edwards Twitter:

ByPVv4SIcAE9jee.jpg:large

I'm new here everybody but if the Rougarou animation videos are any indication, then I'd say it's left un-painted to eventually be removed.

To weigh in on the trim/no trim Mantis/Chang thing, keep in mind that Mantis's drop is ten degrees steeper and has a slight left-to-right bank. Chang's drop is straight. And I believe the space between elements was elongated for Chang. Essentially, Chang is like a slightly more drawn-out mirror of Mantis, for the first half, which seemed less intense to me when I rode both.

Having ridden both mantis and Chang (in both locations), Chang elements are not anymore drawn out than mantis's. However they may be reshaped a tweaked but I. My experience Chang is just as intense if not more intense than mantis. Where Chang kicks the crap out of mantis is a second half where it doesn't beat the crap out of you.

This was pic was posted on Screamscape. You can see that the catwalk around the trim has been repainted so I think the trim is staying. However, this doesn't necessarily mean the park will use it. The trim was there in the first place to reduce g-forces on rider's legs so that effect may not be needed as a sit down but the park and B&M may want to keep it just in case it's still necessary. Either way, the ride will be sick. Trim brake= super hang time or no trim brake= super g-forces.

db_2014_0930_Rougarou011.thumb.jpg.a86987dc6561342fd15cc3a179ba0e85.jpg