TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I love how everyone is making a big deal out of this one trim brake. There's no trim brake in the animated POV or flyover, so that makes me lean towards saying there will be no trim. Even if there is one, it can't take away from the ride that much, can it? I mean, it's only one trim.

image.jpg.3d053acc790baa0a939112297e1a5b5f.jpg

No trim.

image.jpg.eeef97bee999e5b8b4db7d4412070c2a.jpg

No trim here either.

If Mantis and Chang/Green Lantern are almost exact mirror images of each other, why is it that Mantis has a trim on the drop and GL doesnt?

Most likely because B&M worked out all the kinks that caused the trim on Mantis. That seems like the most reasonable explanation.

I'd bet money that if the trim was invisible and didn't make any noise most wouldn't even know it was there. Anyone ride Mantis pre and post trim? I have! And it is better with the trim. You get nice little hang time in the first loop.

Most likely because B&M worked out all the kinks that caused the trim on Mantis. That seems like the most reasonable explanation.

Or Cedar Fair decided to add the trim and Kentucky Kingdom decided they didn't want one on Chang - most likely the reason had nothing to do with a "kink" in the design. Sure there may be some rides where trims are used to compensate for design "flaws" (Goliath/Titan I think could be argued as an example, but really is it a flaw that the ride is so intense or just a park looking for guest comfort?). But most of the time they serve other purposes such as ensuring each ride is the same no matter the wind/weather or train weight - a purpose having nothing to do with any design issues.

I'd bet money that if the trim was invisible and didn't make any noise most wouldn't even know it was there. Anyone ride Mantis pre and post trim? I have! And it is better with the trim. You get nice little hang time in the first loop.

Or Cedar Fair decided to add the trim and Kentucky Kingdom decided they didn't want one on Chang - most likely the reason had nothing to do with a "kink" in the design. Sure there may be some rides where trims are used to compensate for design "flaws" (Goliath/Titan I think could be argued as an example, but really is it a flaw that the ride is so intense or just a park looking for guest comfort?). But most of the time they serve other purposes such as ensuring each ride is the same no matter the wind/weather or train weight - a purpose having nothing to do with any design issues.

You basically repeated my original point. Since the trim is to ensure a "regular" ride experience that means that it is used to compensate for what the design lacks. Therefore KK doesn't have one due to the "kinks" being worked out. Or KK (SF) just doesn't care, thus eliminating the trim. Either way, what we're both getting at is more/less the same thing.

To everyone arguing about the trim not being in the animation; the animation uses the WRONG connectors for the supports, so I'm fairly certain we can't base the trim/no trim argument of an animation that has a bunch of other inaccuracies. Its a RENDERING, its NOT the final product. We won't know what they're going to do, until the actually do it. End of story. Either way, Rou is going to be a unique coaster, a mix of old school B&M shaping and forces, with new school comfort. Can't wait!

^ And to add to that point it is a good time to remind everyone that Tony even tweeted don't take the animation to heart - it is there for illustration purposes only.

You basically repeated my original point. Since the trim is to ensure a "regular" ride experience that means that it is used to compensate for what the design lacks. Therefore KK doesn't have one due to the "kinks" being worked out. Or KK (SF) just doesn't care, thus eliminating the trim. Either way, what we're both getting at is more/less the same thing.

Not to beat a dead horse but my point was that the design is not lacking anything or has kinks. It would be more so park preference to add the trim (such as how MF has trim brackets but CP hasn't elected to add them) not a design issue by B&M. I'm saying the trims are usually there to compensate for changing in weight of trains, weather - stuff that has nothing to do with any design "flaws." (Sure there may be a case here or there when there was a design issue but not in the Mantis case).

To weigh in on the trim/no trim Mantis/Chang thing, keep in mind that Mantis's drop is ten degrees steeper and has a slight left-to-right bank. Chang's drop is straight. And I believe the space between elements was elongated for Chang. Essentially, Chang is like a slightly more drawn-out mirror of Mantis, for the first half, which seemed less intense to me when I rode both.