TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

They will absolutely have to rebuild the station. Floorless stations are very involved.

As far as the theming goes...

could anybody shed some light on what the HECK the original station idea was?

Did it have anything to do with the original spirit of the old lady when it was going to be named "Banshee" ? (That would make a lot of sense, actually.)

Rougarou, no doubt, will have all the bells and whisles... the eye-grabbing LED lighting, probably a little fog and stuff like that. Won't be extravagant, cuz it's not CP's style... but it will be purty.

Am I the only one who thinks its strange how so many people have started to praise Stand-ups? A few months ago I bet they would have said that they suck.

You're probably right. People have extreme swings in preferences every season based on announcements and stuff. Ridiculous and immature.

I, however, have always enjoyed the stand-up experience. I'm a local to the best of the stand-ups, in my opinion... Georgia Scorcher.

Hard to not be mean about this, but people are just babies and idiots who complain about the seats. Just ever-so-slightly bend the knees right before they lock the seat height, and you've got a couple inches of 'play,' with no contact with the OTSR or the bicycle seat.

It's really not that hard. People are just divas about stupid crap.

As far as the theming goes...

could anybody shed some light on what the HECK the original station idea was?

Did it have anything to do with the original spirit of the old lady when it was going to be named "Banshee" ? (That would make a lot of sense, actually.)

I am sure we will see many things that we saw in the Banshee effects... lots of awesome fog and creepy lighting... as for the start ion design, I have no clue, other than it looks very 90's-ish...

Am I the only one who thinks its strange how so many people have started to praise Stand-ups? A few months ago I bet they would have said that they suck.

There will always be a minority of die-hards who love what they love, no matter how unpopular, but I've also noticed a pattern of temporary support that rolls in like a tide to defend a coaster or class of coasters any time one is on the way out the door. We saw the same kind of love for Arrow suspended coasters come out of nowhere when Big Bad Wolf's closure was announced. For the most part, the love will fade in time, but you'll still find a few hardcore fans trying to cobble together Internet petitions to bring back Drachen Fire, Steel Phantom, Psyclone, and others -- I guess their brains were too scrambled to remember how those rides actually felt!

You're probably right. People have extreme swings in preferences every season based on announcements and stuff. Ridiculous and immature.

I, however, have always enjoyed the stand-up experience. I'm a local to the best of the stand-ups, in my opinion... Georgia Scorcher.

Hard to not be mean about this, but people are just babies and idiots who complain about the seats. Just ever-so-slightly bend the knees right before they lock the seat height, and you've got a couple inches of 'play,' with no contact with the OTSR or the bicycle seat.

It's really not that hard. People are just divas about stupid crap.

I have to agree with this statement... I don't understand the hate on stand-ups... I enjoyed Iron Wolf at SFGAm and enjoyed Mantis even more... I learned this exact strategy very quickly with Iron Wolf... I don't have the hundreds of credits that others do, but from my experience, stand ups are far from the worst options out there...

There's nothing wrong with the new scheme, it's just that the old one was so bizzare, gaudy and awesomely bad. A Preying Mantis Rollercoaster? Yellow/Red/Purple? I feel like the ride is going from an oddity, to expected. Hopefully, there will be surrounding theming that adds some character to the new ride, the old ride didn't have anything in that category.

Edited by BlahBlahson

I'm really curious to see how CP pulls this off. I wonder how the trains will be designed to run on Mantis' structure.

Well, they will take the old trains off and put the floorless trains on, fix the station to have a drop floor, and its done. Not sure why it would be that tough to pull off

I was wondering something. Do the Plinko front-of-the-line passes let you take the front seat? I heard you couldn't so I sat in a middle run on dragster but they let me take front row on Maverick, so ya I'm confused.

Anyway Rougaroo does seem to have an amazing capacity but it still isn't anywhere near Gemini.

Okay, here it is, what everyone has been waiting for: My thoughts on Rougarou.

Mood: I'm quite excited about this.

The ride: I must say, Mantis was never one of my favorites due to the forces on the legs, and the slow load times, so this ride should fix both of those problems. So I'm pretty happy that they could take a mediocre-to-the-public ride and make it what I think will be better. This reminds me of the Steel Phantom situation where the park was host to a high-tech steel coaster that people only rode once and moved on from there. It wasn't really popular and was too forceful, so with modifications, Rougarou being less of an extreme makeover, compared to that of Steel Phantom.

The name: I like the name and the possible theme that can come from it, perhaps a Verbolten meets Banshee type theme where you enter a forbidden forest and moor.

The colors: Not really a fan of the orange because, I'm not a fan of orange. I also like two-tone B&M track, and this eliminates it, but that's just a personal opinion. So, oh well, I'll get over it.

The idea: Is great. The park can build a "new" coaster without really building a "new" coaster and saving significant money on that while having a whole new attraction to market.

Anyway, glad the park is doing this.

If I remember correctly, the trim was added in 1997 to lessen the positive g-forces so it could become more comfortable to ride. Although when I rode it in July of 2013, it felt like the trim was hardly working, think I only heard it touch the train for only a quick "clap." That ride did feel quite uncomfortable on my legs.

_MG_4997.thumb.jpg.518ced4f41e37b37381376723f9cae55.jpg

Snapshot of the trim brakes taken on Opening Day 2013

You can see that there was a 3rd trim on it at one point as there are mounting points just above the two there now. Anyone have any pictures of it from a few years back that still had that 3rd one? It seems that was removed fairly recently as the mounting holes are not covered by the 2005 paint job.

Really do hope that maybe this will be removed, due to it not being in the render, and the fact that the forces will be applied to a completely different area versus being on someone's legs.

Huh, no date on that image though, so kind of hard to reference when the 3rd one was removed. That one almost looks like it was a fixed trim as there's no air line leading from it like the other 2 are. That could be why I only heard a "clap" instead of the usual constant contact you hear on most trim brakes.