TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I just wish Cedar Point would do a lot more with theme to this coaster rather if they are simply changing the train and applying a new paint scheme. It looks cool. Its creepy a long time ago I took inspiration from the Mantis and designed a coaster in my head that is orange track green support and stand up-floorless. It seems like a lot of my ideas are coming true in very interesting ways, this is creepy.

They do plan on having effects and also fog I can't wait to see!
I hope they add some type of swampy decor around it. With how bland the Mantis theme worked, there's no way but better if they decide to theme this coaster and plaza in any way.

Are the Rougarou trains custom? An acquaintance mentioned they were, but I didn't catch that part... they look like standard floorless coaches to me.

?

That's the one! It's also reminding me of the VHS covers on some 80's B-horror movies... funny how the mind works! It seems a bit sub-par for Cedar Fair, but the simpleness works in this case.

Are the Rougarou trains custom? An acquaintance mentioned they were, but I didn't catch that part... they look like standard floorless coaches to me.

?

That's the one! It's also reminding me of the VHS covers on some 80's B-horror movies... funny how the mind works! It seems a bit sub-par for Cedar Fair, but the simpleness works in this case.

Don't forget the sort-of attempt at bringing Surge back...

VAULT!

Vault.thumb.jpg.a8ca27606b095ab9b21085124ff3d9fe.jpg

I think this is a great addition. CP is a big park and I can imagine one's feet get tired when walking all day or some times 2 days in a row in the park. So I think it is quite understandable that the appeal of a stand up coaster has changed over the decade. That said, I think a floorless coaster fits the bill. There aren't any in the Midwest. I was thinking that we would see one at KI before CP since CP had gatekeeper (which is also floorless in a way).

I don't have any concerns about the heartline or anything. As it has been mentioned... With relation to the track, Floorless trains sit higher than regular stand up coasters. If there was one element, it would be the corkscrew.... but at the I never found the stand up corkscrews to be as tightly spiraled as sit downs. Everything else on the ride should be awesome.... and YES please get ride of the trim on the first drop.

I think my biggest surprise with the announcement is that CP did not modify the restraints on the ride to be vest-like OTSR. Probably because of all the complaining on Gatekeeper. Given Gatekeeper and Banshee, I thought that this was the way they were moving with new B&M trains.

There will be 3 trains!! Stat sheet:

[attachment=0]00RU6n (Small).jpg[/attachment]https://www.facebook.com/cprundown/photos/a.369208953172216.88126.349928541766924/704235706336204/?type=1&theater

That's great news!

It's worth pointing out that that may spell the end of the ride operating in the rain like it does now. I'm assuming the reason this is the only coaster in the entire park that never shuts down for rain is because they have so many extra blocks. Most of the other coasters have been known to operate in the rain if they transfer a train off but usually they elect to wait the rain out instead and take the ride down (In some cases they run in the rain without removing trains but the policy is horribly inconsistent ).

Again, this is pure speculation but it seems like the only explanation as to why this ride doesn't follow the same rain procedures as all of the other coasters.

[attachment=0]00RU6n (Small).jpg[/attachment]https://www.facebook.com/cprundown/photos/a.369208953172216.88126.349928541766924/704235706336204/?type=1&theater

That's great news!

It's worth pointing out that that may spell the end of the ride operating in the rain like it does now. I'm assuming the reason this is the only coaster in the entire park that never shuts down for rain is because they have so many extra blocks. Most of the other coasters have been known to operate in the rain if they transfer a train off but usually they elect to wait the rain out instead and take the ride down (In some cases they run in the rain without removing trains but the policy is horribly inconsistent ).

Again, this is pure speculation but it seems like the only explanation as to why this ride doesn't follow the same rain procedures as all of the other coasters.

I was told by a gatekeeper ride op that Wicked Twister won't shut down unless lighting is spotted, they have a certain type of brakes. I'm not sure why, but they did shut Mantis down when it was raining last time I visited. I don't get park policies.

I must be in the minority when it comes to the track colors, because I absolutely hate them. Cedar Fair coasters, to me, always had the more vibrant color schemes compared to other parks' coasters, and this just feels like a cop-out. I can see this working well in a Six Flags park (since they have, like, 9 coasters in the chain with the same colors), but... eh, that's my gripe. Nice to see that Mantis is going floorless. Better luck next time, Dorney.

Some here get made if you complain about colors, but hey, I don't like the orange either.

It's too bad they couldn't have gotten rid of the horse collars. I could always position myself to avoid getting racked with the seat, but you couldn't avoid the head banging OTSR's, and those haven't changed. Hopefully the animation isn't accurate there.

Otherwise I think the conversion is a good decision. I always skipped Mantis, but maybe won't now. This should shorten lines a bit for other coasters too.

I find it odd that some people won't count this as a new coaster credit, even though it's a completely different riding experience now, yet they might count all the 100% identical Batman's for example, or the same coaster moved to another park.

Edited by Brent York

That's great news!

I was told by a gatekeeper ride op that Wicked Twister won't shut down unless lighting is spotted, they have a certain type of brakes. I'm not sure why, but they did shut Mantis down when it was raining last time I visited. I don't get park policies.

Wicked Twister is particularly ridiculous. This ride does operate in the rain more than a lot of other rides, but keep an eye on the live cams when it rains and you'll see it close frequently (many times while Mantis still operates).

This ride should never close in the rain. The brakes are all magnetic, they're all covered and most importantly there isn't another train so there's a 0% chance of an accident similar to the one on Magnum that started all of this crap.

That's great news!

Wicked Twister is particularly ridiculous. This ride does operate in the rain more than a lot of other rides, but keep an eye on the live cams when it rains and you'll see it close frequently (many times while Mantis still operates).

This ride should never close in the rain. The brakes are all magnetic, they're all covered and most importantly there isn't another train so there's a 0% chance of an accident similar to the one on Magnum that started all of this crap.

Agreed

I've been thinking about this for some time, but when steel coasters start to become rough, is it all because of the trains or track too? I know that the trains (and condition of the wheels) makes a difference but doesn't the track get worn out too?

In case you didn't know, they recently stared selling Surge on Amazon.

I wonder oh much of the track, if any, they will have to replace to accommodate the floorless trains. I imagine the chassis is pretty similar so maybe they wont have to replace the brakes or anything, but I wonder if the station track will have to change or if they drop away floor can be added as it is.

In case you didn't know, they recently stared selling Surge on Amazon.

I wonder oh much of the track, if any, they will have to replace to accommodate the floorless trains. I imagine the chassis is pretty similar so maybe they wont have to replace the brakes or anything, but I wonder if the station track will have to change or if they drop away floor can be added as it is.

i think they will have to change the station to include the drop away floor. I don't see any other way for them to add it.

Honestly I loved Mantis despite its roughness. Im sure that the transformation into a floorless coaster will result in a great ride experience but i personally feel like it won't live up to mantis. Ive always loved Stand Up Coasters now more than ever. Unfortunately this just continues to shrink the number of Stand Up Coasters left.

Also Im about to order some Surge right now

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like Mantis. It's intense and I like the stand up experience. I even like the color scheme. Mantis isn't my favorite ride, but it saddens me that it will no longer be a stand up coaster. With that said, I am excited about the floorless conversion. I haven't been on an intense floorless so Rougarou will easily become my favorite. I like the logo and the new color scheme looks pretty nice too. I even warmed up to the new name because it reminds me of this b movie WolfCop.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I want to address the complaining. The color scheme doesn't affect the ride and with 16 coasters it's a bit hard to come up with something unique. The direction changes aren't too abrupt so the restraints should be fine. Cedar Point isn't a theme park so don't be so hard on them for the lack of themeing. Rougarou already benefits from the lagoon location so the fog and lighting effects will be a nice touch. Be happy that the park chose a werewolf theme to tie in with the lagoon. They could have went with Carp: The Ride.