TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Maybe I am just over-analyzing this, but Rougarou finishes the layout (drop to brake run) a few seconds faster than Mantis does now. Rougarou exits the corkscrew by the time Mantis makes it to the MCBR. Maybe this means that they aren't trimming it, or I am trusting the concept animation to much. What do you think?

In the Rougarou POV, the video skips a good portion of the lift hill. Look closely and you'll see theres a bit of a fade and transition from the bottom of the lift to close to the top...Im guessing thats why theres such a variation in the lengths of each video.

Maybe I am just over-analyzing this, but Rougarou finishes the layout (drop to brake run) a few seconds faster than Mantis does now. Rougarou exits the corkscrew by the time Mantis makes it to the MCBR. Maybe this means that they aren't trimming it, or I am trusting the concept animation to much. What do you think?

In the Rougarou POV, the video skips a good portion of the lift hill. Look closely and you'll see theres a bit of a fade and transition from the bottom of the lift to close to the top...Im guessing thats why theres such a variation in the lengths of each video.

No, I did the same thing starting both videos at the drop, and Rougarou finishes a few seconds quicker. Might just be the animation or it is actually faster without trims.

This is going to be more than "Floorless trains, Repaint, New Name."

That really isn't going to sell big to us or the public, and more importantly...Matt Ouimet is in charge.

I'm quoting this for when it is "Floorless trains, Repaint and a New Name."

1. I told you so

2. Cool, good job Cedar Point

I would imagine CF purchased new trains. SF should purchase the Mantis trains from CF and use them for parts for Riddler's and Green Lantern.

and Georgia Scorcher, which is the best designed standup coaster.

Looking forward to Mantis 2.0 and hope for Iron Streak RMC reconstruction in 2016.

I would imagine CF purchased new trains. SF should purchase the Mantis trains from CF and use them for parts for Riddler's and Green Lantern.

Looking forward to Mantis 2.0 and hope for Iron Streak RMC reconstruction in 2016.

Nah, I'd rather see this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUPAaGRt7LFefKUkeYfTdiH5NPTRUciq7LZDfN_lF6qannZGTxXA

As a matter of fact, there are a lot more people that want to see this! right?

I may have missed this in the discussion and apologize if so. Why was the first drop trimmed to begin with on Mantis?

There *could* be structural reasons, but as far as ride experience alone is concerned, I found it pretty darn uncomfortable at full speed -- it seriously hauls through the first half without trims. The carousel turn, incline loop, and upward turn into the MCBR have always been a positive G clinic of elements, exasperated uncomfortably by standing up.

I think this move is going to be a very good one for the park. I've had some decent rides on Mantis, and while the current headbanging and leg stress isn't totally intolerable, "just OK and barely tolerable" isn't an overwhelming commendation for such a beautiful coaster with a twisty/powerful layout. Here's to hoping the new trains bring out a lot of untapped potential in this ol' Beemer!

I want to have a word with all the coaster nerds who argued with me years ago about how a stand up couldn't be converted to a sit down (center of gravity bs mostly)... I was right (Most of those arguments were on another site though, I'm on the right one now!) I'm sure lots of us where right about the conversion... A green and orange werewolf looks better than a yellow, red and purple mantis! It sure does look good in the videos.

I'm surprised about them repainting it so soon as well. I was thinking they'd leave it as it is until it closes but I guess they are really eager to get Rougarou ready to roll.

I am a little surprised they went the route of converting it instead of just getting rid of it, but it looks like it could turn out to be a really good ride, possibly in the top 5 in the park.

Also, the people commenting on Cedar Point's Twitter page make me want to go shoot myself. Endless comments that say "OMG u guyz r such liers! Where da hek is tah LeBron ride? U promised!" These even keep getting posted after Tony tweeted that it was LeBron's choice to have them not name a ride after him. People are such morons.

Edited by Woodie Warrior

I would think they'd save them for their own B&M stand-up coasters.

I would think they'd save them for their own B&M stand-up coasters.

Agreed. Let's not forget about the two Vortex's at Carowinds and California's Great America.

Let's hope Cedar Point can run 3 trains on Rougarou, as Mantis was intended. Has anybody noticed the lack of trimming on the MCBR? And it looks like they will install some magnetic brakes on the final brake run.

By the way, I wonder how much a new set of rolling stock might cost...

IIRC, a new seat for RoS is about $100,000 (mechanisms and all.) Though that's obviously an Intamin sit down and not a B&M floorless, they are held to a similar level of quality, so I would assume it would be in a similar ballpark. So I'm going to guess $3.2 million per train.

There will be 3 trains!! Stat sheet:

1599987737_00RU6n(Small).jpg.75c191745974a1d14d716210e2c58ad8.jpghttps://www.facebook.com/cprundown/photos/a.369208953172216.88126.349928541766924/704235706336204/?type=1&theater