TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Okay, I'll be the one to say it. I think this could be very painful. Why? Because this ride was designed for standing, not sitting. Heartline design, of course, puts all of the forces centered on your heart. Now that we'll be sitting on this ride, all of the forces will be focused higher on our bodies. This means that the forces will probably focused right on our heads. That could mean some SERIOUS pain during the finale.

Don't you think if this were the case (which it's not) B&M (a company of experts who do this for a living) would have realized that before some people on a message board did?

I'm confused, this sentece says that it will utilize the structure and track of the "former" Mantis.

The trains will be manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard, Monthey, Switzerland, the same team behind rides like Raptor and GateKeeper, and will transform the ride experience dramatically while utilizing the structure and track of the former Mantis roller coaster.

Reading this thread has caused me about as much pain as Mantis.

On a more positive note, I am really looking forward to the Breakers renovations, which is desperately needed (some of the larger rooms still have 1970s-era wood paneling).

Edited by Intaman

I'm confused, this sentece says that it will utilize the structure and track of the "former" Mantis.
The trains will be manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard, Monthey, Switzerland, the same team behind rides like Raptor and GateKeeper, and will transform the ride experience dramatically while utilizing the structure and track of the former Mantis roller coaster.

Just like this guy -

Used the songs from the "former" this guy -

Colors look great! I'm happy it's not leaving CP and think this conversion is a good move. I always thought the layout was good and I wanted to enjoy Mantis, but the stand-up part just made it unbearable.

Track modifications? Only thing that's changing are the trains and paint scheme. While the orange track and teal green supports may look dull on the rendering, it is a rendering. I'd imagine that the colors will be a lot more vibrant (and shiny!) when the coaster gets painted.

Train colors look interesting. Lime green for the restrains and paneling with a bit darker green for accent, then an orange and yellow-orange for the seat backing. Color scheme looks similar to Medusa, minus the purple and adding another darker green.

I'm actually wondering if we'll see a few more of the support ball joints getting replaced. Those are all of the weak points on the older B&M coasters and I know at least of one that was replaced last off season. I'm sure some will ask, but it'll be impractical to replace them with ridged connections. Would probably screw up a few things structurally too.

OMG Some of you people in the thread, I will never get. I don't understand how people are seriously complaining about color scheme and signs. Come on people, stop the useless complaining.

Anyway... I'm excited for this announcement. To me, this is the year Cedar Point said, "Listen everyone, we get it. So you don't like Mantis all that much? We'll fix it. You say our Hotel is aging? We'll fix it!" I really have to hand it to Cedar Point this year. They're really taking great steps to improve their park. It's about quality, not quantity.

OMG Some of you people in the thread, I will never get. I don't understand how people are seriously complaining about color scheme and signs. Come on people, stop the useless complaining.

Anyway... I'm excited for this announcement. To me, this is the year Cedar Point said, "Listen everyone, we get it. So you don't like Mantis all that much? We'll fix it. You say our Hotel is aging? We'll fix it!" I really have to hand it to Cedar Point this year. They're really taking great steps to improve their park. It's about quality, not quantity.

I agree! I'm liking the way the park is really trying to maintain and improve their existing lineup. But also, by working hard to (not wanting to sound too Disney-ish) make the park magical. I love parks at night, and with the recent improvements to Power Tower's lights, and Millennium's lift (which lights didn't seems to work for a few years) it's great to see the park getting a facelift as a whole, and not trying to make the focus on THE TALLEST/FASTEST thing that year. A great park for many reasons.

I have always liked CP, but I'm even more excited to see where she's going.

I liked Mantis and am glad it's not scrap metal. Why isn't everyone excited that this may very well be the most intense/best floorless B&M ever?! If they remove the trim it'll blaze through, and they'll probably loosen up the midcourse with the new trains.

The Prince analogy is spot on! lmao

I find it so odd that the wording in the PR makes it sound like a brand new ride instead of focusing on an improved experience rather than trying to trick the public into thinking it's something brand new all together. Whatever though. I'm just nit-picking and only us coaster nerds really care about the words in the press release. The local news will end up showing the highlights of everything and the GP will see it and have a GP reaction like, "Aww its so new! So cool!" and they go.

Anyways, I hope this really works out well and makes the ride a much smoother experience. I could see other older and rough stand ups getting the new trains. Vortex at CGA anyone? I'm thinking that could be next!

I will say my only real disappointment is they didn't name it after Lebron.

Ah... so THAT'S what the Rougarou trademark was all about. I'm going to Cedar Point for the first time in 2015, so it's nice that I'll be able to say that this is a quality credit. I never rode Mantis, but it seems that the ride had a pretty good layout, but no one ever mentions it because all anyone can think about is the pain, so now, this should allow people to really enjoy this coaster. Can't wait to ride this!

You hit the nail on the head for why this announcement excites me.