TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hey everyone! I used to post here all the time under a different s/n but forgot everything about it...including the s/n lol. I'm making my first trip ever to Cedar Point this weekend, can anyone tell me how their Fast Lane Plus works? Is there a separate line that can eventually let me stand in line for the front seat? Also, loose articles, I typically carry a backpack to carry phones, sunglasses, etc. on rides, do they have a place on the platforms to store these? Or do I HAVE to get a locker? Thanks!

Edited by Texascoaster89

New credit for sure!

Please explain to me how this is a new credit. If this is a new credit then Batman backwards is a new credit and rides like the Giant Dipper in California have been like 4 different credits throughout their history. Also how many people have both Sheikra credits from before and after it's floorless conversion?

For my own definition, it is. I would count namtaB as another credit if I have a chance to ride it.

Thats an awfully soft release for a park like Cedar Point. When I first heard the rumor from a supervisor in May, it was phrased to me as "Floorless Mantis is in the budget". I can't help but think that they might have something else up their sleeves, but tacked on the Mantis transformation to add a thrill based attraction next year. This year's attendance numbers were down significantly last time I was informed, so finding a quick way to spruce up an existing coaster on the cheap might be a marketing plus for another family oriented experience to be announced for next year. Now they can advertise a "new coaster" and a family addition.

TL;DR: This was likely a last second-ish decision to add marketable attraction to a second year of (harder to market) family additions and (impossible to market) park renovations.

It wouldn't surprise me to see other improvements in the park next year. This season was chock-full of improvements that kept being announced separately and honestly felt like they just kept coming (Gemini Midway, Breakers, Lighthouse Point, Slingshot, new restaurants, etc). From an enthusiast standpoint, I felt this approach probably made it feel like more was done to improve the park than if it had all been announced at once. We do know that Breakers' renovation will continue this winter, so there may be some other small, yet noteworthy changes on the way.

I must say I quite like Rougarou's color scheme...I doubt anyone saw that coming after the green paint appeared on Mantis earlier this season. I look forward to riding it at some point. I wouldn't call it a new credit, but in my books it's different enough to be worth checking out regardless. I am interested to see if any other changes occur for Rougarou, however. I could see them demolishing/building onto the existing photo booth and giving the ride a full-blown gift shop like Gatekeeper got.

Speaking of Gatekeeper, I must say I'm interested to see standard floorless trains used here rather than Banshee/wing coaster seats and restraints. I realize the trains would be significantly wider, but aside from the station, I don't think clearance would be as much as an issue for a coaster like Mantis. I'm certainly not complaining as I have no problems with B&M's standard restraints.

Hey everyone! I used to post here all the time under a different s/n but forgot everything about it...including the s/n lol. I'm making my first trip ever to Cedar Point this weekend, can anyone tell me how their Fast Lane Plus works? Is there a separate line that can eventually let me stand in line for the front seat? Also, loose articles, I typically carry a backpack to carry phones, sunglasses, etc. on rides, do they have a place on the platforms to store these? Or do I HAVE to get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? Thanks!

Depends on the ride for Fast Lane. Look for the signs for the entrance. A lot of the bigger coasters, you just get to cut to near the front of the line, while others it's an entirely separate line until you get to the station.

Look for this sign:

There's one at every ride that supports it.

Also, does this count as a new credit?

I don't see how anyone could count this as a new credit. If this is a new credit any wood coaster that ever got a new train would have to be considered multiple credits.

I was waiting for this debate. I wouldn't count it as a new credit. Sure the trains have changed but it is still the same track layout/etc. I think at the end of the day, if you're a credit whore then ya, but I personally don't feel a new train means a new credit.

It's confirmed! In 2015 Mantis becomes "Rougarou!" Floorless coaster trains added!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6cRTrx82gI

Press release:

CEDAR POINT ANNOUNCES NEW FLOORLESS ROLLER COASTER;

HOTEL BREAKERS TRANSFORMS WITH MODERN MAKEOVER

SANDUSKY, Ohio (Sept. 18, 2014) – Cedar Point, The Roller Coaster Capital of the World!®, will introduce a dynamically new riding experience when it unleashes Rougarou™ in the spring of 2015!

Named after a terrifying werewolf-like creature in French folklore, Rougarou [roo-guh-roo] feeds on screams and lurks in and around the swampy lagoon at the center of the park, shared with other coasters like Iron Dragon and Top Thrill Dragster.

Rougarou’s floorless trains will take riders on an epic journey at speeds reaching 60 mph as their feet dangle just inches above the track and the murky waters below. The trains will be manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard, Monthey, Switzerland, the same team behind rides like Raptor and GateKeeper, and will transform the ride experience dramatically while utilizing the structure and track of the former Mantis roller coaster.

The ride begins with a climb to the top of the 145-foot-tall first hill, providing amazing views of the Cedar Point skyline. After reaching the apex, the trains will make a 180-degree turn to the right and plummet 137 feet, at a 52-degree angle, to within inches above the water. Thrill-seekers caught in Rougarou’s grasp will then be flipped upside-down by a 119-foot-tall vertical loop, spun around a 103-foot-tall dive loop, whipped around a highly-banked 360-degree turn and then twisted upside-down again by the world’s only inclined loop on a floorless coaster, angled at a wicked 45 degrees. Just when guests think the ride is over, the steel beast will take them through a 360-degree flat spin, tight and twisty turns and a figure-eight finale. Riders must be 54” tall to ride Rougarou.

“Rougarou is going to be a fantastic addition to our coaster lineup and our guests are going to love it,” said Jason McClure, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “With the swampy waters below, the vibrant colors of the supports and track, lighting and other effects, it will be a ride like no other at the park.”

2015 will also mark the debut of the newly-renovated Hotel Breakers. Located along the mile-long Cedar Point Beach, Hotel Breakers will complete its two-year transformation into the ultimate resort destination. Along with a new exterior, the modernized hotel will have a new entrance portal, classic interior finishes, newly-furnished and remodeled rooms with LCD TV’s, new furniture, bedding and décor, and many other amenities and offerings. Additional enhancements include a new Starbucks and the Surf Lounge bar inside the famous rotunda, widened exterior green space with panoramic views of Lake Erie and an outdoor water play area with zero depth entry and splash features.

“We want to provide a well-rounded and complete vacation experience for our guests, and the enhancements at the Hotel Breakers will help them have just that,” said Jason McClure. “It will have a fun and fresh feel, is steps away from the park and it’s a great place to start new family traditions.”

Other amenities include two pools and Jacuzzis, access to the Cedar Point Beach and Boardwalk, a gift shop, arcade, exercise room, three restaurants, Early Entry (access to some of the biggest rides and coasters before the park opens to the general public), discounted Cedar Point admission tickets, complimentary Wi-Fi and the comfort and convenience of staying right next to the rides and roller coasters of Cedar Point. Reservations for the 2015 season can be placed now online at cedarpoint.com/hotelbreakers or by phone at (419) 627-2106.

The charming waterfront hotel first opened its doors in 1905 as the “largest and greatest hotel on the Great Lakes.” Known for its breathtaking views and cool summer breezes, Hotel Breakers has been an important part of any complete Cedar Point experience. Notable guests over the years have included celebrities such as sharpshooter Annie Oakley, comedians Abbott and Costello, composer John Philip Sousa and six U.S. presidents, including Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Located on a sandy peninsula along the shore of Lake Erie, Cedar Point has been named as one of the best amusement parks in the world by USA Today, TripAdvisor, The Travel Channel and more. Cedar Point’s amazing lineup of roller coasters has received top billing by CBS News, Time magazine, the Los Angeles Times and many more.

272089387_ScreenShot2014-09-18at15_31_57.png.084bf112017455ef2d6516cd1645fbfb.png

rougarou_1.jpg.a29389ba57df607ac8362acac37846e3.jpg

rougarou_2.jpg.c49f91cb56b10f1161ebe94bef0ee5b9.jpg

rougarou_3.jpg.5b8b242a9fdb7fe61f5b7689de04b46b.jpg

rougarou_4.jpg.d579cbddde2afe20c6fea1de660d4854.jpg

rougarou_5.jpg.51b4f373acfcb26073b8fd2142a390ed.jpg

821867002_RougarouCorkscrew.thumb.jpg.d07ade179df2fd228b23c223371d3711.jpg

25115996_RougarouFirstHill.thumb.jpg.fd7a66a05d67ec022d99a80b864daeba.jpg

308098454_RougarouInclinedLoop.thumb.jpg.ea0e095aed61de78b6a2900a784a9220.jpg

346940425_RougarouLineDrawing.thumb.jpg.5dc2d34270e12e02e0738c8ae32b148c.jpg

417629142_RougarouRideTrain.thumb.jpg.8ebf533cfba74af897ae35fe84fe5e8a.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

The end of the Stand-up coaster?

Hmm, maybe for Cedar Fair since they only had three stand up coasters in the chain, Mantis (becoming "Rougarou" floorless coaster), Skyrider (sold to someone outside the Cedar Fair chain), and Shockwave at Kings Dominion (now the last stand up coaster in the Cedar Fair chain).

Cool thank you for that info, I'm flying from Texas in the morning and going when they open in the evening, and then all day Saturday which is when I'll have my flash pass. How about loose articles? No spaces on station platforms like at Six Flags parks?

On Millennium Force, Dragster, Magnum, and sometimes Gatekeeper they do NOT allow loose articles and you'll have to get a locker.

On everything else there ARE bins for loose articles or they'll let you put your articles on the other side of the station.

Hmm, maybe for Cedar Fair since they only had three stand up coasters in the chain, Mantis (becoming "Rougarou" floorless coaster), Skyrider (sold to someone outside the Cedar Fair chain), and Shockwave at Kings Dominion (now the last stand up coaster in the Cedar Fair chain).

Um... did you forget about Vortex at CGA and Carowinds?

Wonder if we'll see the trim on the first drop remove

Seconded. The entire reason Mantis started sucking was because of that horrible trim. If it isn't removed the ride will still be sub par. It has potential to be an excellent coaster with that layout! Just let it be awesome, CP!

Um... did you forget about Vortex at CGA and Carowinds?

Oh sorry!