TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm not sure what is going on with Mantis is for next year!

I'm pretty sure no one is. But unfortunately some people think they know what's going on when they really dont.

Whatever happens, whether it be to make room for a new coaster, to make room for a new themed area, or a floorless conversion, I'm sure Cedar Point will do a good job.

I don't think that necessarily means the ride is being removed.

By the way, does anyone find it a bit odd that Mantis won't be open on Friday nights during Halloweekends? Sure it hasn't been in the past and I know they have limited availability on Friday but you would think they'd be expecting longer than normal lines due to the fact that it's closing.

I don't think that necessarily means the ride is being removed.

By the way, does anyone find it a bit odd that Mantis won't be open on Friday nights during Halloweekends? Sure it hasn't been in the past and I know they have limited availability on Friday but you would think they'd be expecting longer than normal lines due to the fact that it's closing.

I'm more referring to the language/word choice rather than if it is acutally closing for good (especially since CP has previously used a bunch of puns/ambiguity e.g. "last stand").

Mantis as we know it is closing forever. Just like when you hear XYZ restaurant is closing forever but something else opens in the same place, using the same building, and infrastructure when really just menu and decor changed.

Most (if not all) years it has been closed on the Fridays. Usually on the Friday only a handful of rides are open. Nothing new, so I wouldn't read into it.

Conversely, think of how pissed people would be if they suggested it was staying in some form and then got a complete change in vehicle. Probably better (if the floorless conversion is really what theyre doing) to suggest something permanent closure. Now if they were saying it was being replaced rather than closed, THEN we'd have more room to think its getting demo'd for good.

And @hey...hey... yep thats the book!

Is this the one you are talking about. If so, I had/have the same one...good book. Great pick of Mean Streak if I remember correctly.

I have a few coaster books from circa 1998 and the early 2000s. And every time I flip through them, I'm like "Ok, this is gone, this is gone, that's gone, this one got RMC'd, this one got relocated, Geauga's gone, Astroworld's gone."

I would be terribly surprised if CP chose to fully remove mantis. I would expect some new trains along with some new elements possibly and maybe a reprofile of the first drop to fit the typical B&M drop. could they add a zero-g roll somewher to the ride? Definate posibility. Could they add something different sure. Maybe they add something like an old arrow batwing type of inversion somewhere.

I would be very surprisedmif CP left the coaster as is and only changed the trains and name...unless they are building something else rather large and this is just a side project, which i highly doubt

Why does everyone think they'd reprofile the drop? Seems like an unnecessary waste of money. It would be pretty cool if they added a zero G. They could probably remove the midcourse and add one, but they may want to run three trains if it really does go floorless.

Fun fact: Mantis is going to be the first B&M ever to be closed for good.

Or... Mantis could possibly be moving to another park. My bets are on Michigan's Adventure.

Fun fact: There is no confirmation that the coaster is being removed from Cedar Point, it could very well be that floorless conversion that many are discussing about.

Or... Mantis could possibly be moving to another park. My bets are on Michigan's Adventure.

Fun fact: There is no confirmation that the coaster is being removed from Cedar Point, it could very well be that floorless conversion that many are discussing about.

And, if that does happen, it will still be the first B&M that cannot ever be ridden again. Think about it: B&M built a particular standup roller coaster at Cedar Point. Will you ever be able to ride that ride again?

It's sort of a special situation that us coaster nerds should recognise. I mean, they've built over 96 roller coasters since 1991 and this is the first that something is actually happening to? Wikipedia doesn't even have a 'Closed' tab next to the 'Opened Year' tab because it doesn't need it. That's an amazing record of installations!

And, if that does happen, it will still be the first B&M that cannot ever be ridden again. Think about it: B&M built a particular standup roller coaster at Cedar Point. Will you ever be able to ride that ride again?

It's sort of a special situation that us coaster nerds should recognise. I mean, they've built over 96 roller coasters since 1991 and this is the first that something is actually happening to? Wikipedia doesn't even have a 'Closed' tab next to the 'Opened Year' tab because it doesn't need it. That's an amazing record of installations!

Does Iron Wolf aka Apocalypse at SFA formerly from SFGrAm ring any bells??

Can you still ride the B&M standup formerly named Iron Wolf?

Yeah, but if Mantis gets moved to Dorney and renamed Insect-a-hawk, it's the same situation?!

B-T-Dubs.... What year did Mantis open? What page is this? You're welcome. Stay tuned for a similar situation in two pages featuring our friend, Power Tower!

Yeah, but if Mantis gets moved to Dorney and renamed Insect-a-hawk, it's the same situation?!

B-T-Dubs.... What year did Mantis open? What page is this? You're welcome. Stay tuned for a similar situation in two pages featuring our friend, Power Tower!

Than 2 pages after that! Well, you know

I don't like the idea of the floorless conversion, but if that's the case, I might go out to ride it. However, I wouldn't count it as a new credit though.

Than 2 pages after that! Well, you know

I don't like the idea of the floorless conversion, but if that's the case, I might go out to ride it. However, I wouldn't count it as a new credit though.

You should ride coasters for the enjoyment of riding, not for the coaster count