TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I originally didnt like the refurbishing of mantis because I thought they could perhaps put a dark ride in there and retheme the area being a central part of the park. But whispers are saying floorless with over_the_shoulder restraints. 3 apparently random small sections of launches. With expansion and intertwining with millennium force on the island. Cedarpoint has been my home park since 1975 and im really hoping that they will keep trying to lead the industry in inovation and keeping a wonderful atmosphere for years to come.

2014-09-11-14-08-18--1467110284.jpeg.8983dd5b1139ff5f120d799f69469cac.jpeg

I originally didnt like the refurbishing of mantis because I thought they could perhaps put a dark ride in there and retheme the area being a central part of the park. But whispers are saying floorless with over_the_shoulder restraints. 3 apparently random small sections of launches. With expansion and intertwining with millennium force on the island. Cedarpoint has been my home park since 1975 and im really hoping that they will keep trying to lead the industry in inovation and keeping a wonderful atmosphere for years to come.

By far the most ridiculous comment I've ever read in this thread. If that was their "plan", they might as well just tear the thing down and build it from the ground up.

I seriously hope that they are just scrapping Mantis. The layout sucks anyways, and sit down trains won't change that. Sure, the clues are pointing to a sitdown conversion, but Tony could just be trying to throw us off.

I think that if Mantis does indeed convert to a sitdown or floorless coaster, the word " Mantis" will not be used at all in the new name because they are saying that Mantis is going to get "squashed", and that just doesn't make it seem that they would continue Mantis theming. But that's just my opinion.

Also, I really hope that they don't rename it "King James" because it's starting to sound really cheesy and stupid. I could live with it being called "The King", but "King James"? Please no.

Crazy thought: What if Cedar Point puts new trains on Mantis and renames it Cavalier - Then they theme each of the three trains to one of the Cavalier's star players Lebron, Kevin Love, and Kyrie Irving. If they were to put vest restraints on the trains, they could easily make them look kinda like Basketball Jerseys.

I actually really like this idea! It would be a clever spin on the whole ordeal. If it gets to costly, I'm sure they could just get rid of the theme and keep calling it Cavalier. They could do the same with "The King," though, and that's probably the name I'm rooting for.

Aside with Hookers on Meth 145, I mean.

By far the most ridiculous comment I've ever read in this thread. If that was their "plan", they might as well just tear the thing down and build it from the ground up.

I seriously hope that they are just scrapping Mantis. The layout sucks anyways, and sit down trains won't change that. Sure, the clues are pointing to a sitdown conversion, but Tony could just be trying to throw us off.

He was joking, hence the lemonade picture attached to it.

I really like how Mantis' layout looks, though I've never ridden it. It appears to be a lot more than your typical "inversion after inversion" coaster. I remember that the layout was published in an old book on roller coasters and I was always trace the layout and compare it to photos when I was a child...

Mantis will be fine as a floorless coaster... the first half is very typical of a good floorless and the second half is pretty dull but not nearly as dull as something like Hydra.

I would expect it to be another fun, solid coaster... nothing earth shattering but very enjoyable. As far as I'm concerned it's a brand new coaster because I just walk right by the piece of crap ride that's there now and never ride it no matter what. Floorless Mantis is something I'd actually ride.

I rode Mantis the year it opened. You should of saw the lines. I am sad to say I actually waited a good bit of time to ride it. It was the mid to late 90s where a B&M standup was the "thing". Now a days, I usually pass by it, since I already got the credit. Rode with my wife once. She absolutely hated it.

Now if it were to go floorless, I might have to make a trip back out sometime to ride it. It would be sorta a gamechanger to that ride.

I really like how Mantis' layout looks, though I've never ridden it. It appears to be a lot more than your typical "inversion after inversion" coaster. I remember that the layout was published in an old book on roller coasters and I was always trace the layout and compare it to photos when I was a child...

LOL I think you know the exact book youre talking about and am guilty of doing the same thing when I was little. I remember specifically telling my parents I wanted "the book with the yellow roller coaster on it". I agree its a unique layout for a B&M...it deviates nicely from the loop, dive loop, zero-G, cobra, MCBR, interlocking corkscrew formula.

This is from tonys blog last saturday just let me fuel the fire since no one is really talking about it

Q: That wasn't the announcement, was it?

A: A coaster closure of any kind, at any park, is a big deal. Especially here. So yes, that's a major announcement. Food for thought - we never said it was a 2015 announcement.

Q: So...what are you guys doing?

A: Clearly, we're not done. There's more exciting news to come. There will probably be a few more announcements of announcement dates of another announcement for an announcement's announcement.

As I've said in the past, we do everything for a reason, including our timing. I can't divulge the specifics, but there's a science to the schedule. Maybe after coffee, I'll tell you. As long as you don't ruin my carpet with dirty shoes!