TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

"and maybe, just maybe, don't trust mi?"

mi?

MI?

like the abbreviation for Michigan?

*gets super hopeful that this was more than just a coincidence even though it probably was just a coincidence because why would cedar point drop hints about MIA*

*but still gets hopeful anyway*

Hmm....

Moment of inertia....

SOB should be the poster child for rough, brutal and basically unridiable but I believe you understand the difference. (I know you do.) Even if wasn't painful, other than the drop and loop it was a boring ride. I have not had the pleasure of riding an SLC, so can't say. But to me the Beast is the perfect example. Great coaster once you learn how to ride it. If you don't know how to ride it, well it can throw you and hurt you. Mantis is another great example. If you don't how to ride it, it can hurt you. But it's a coaster we only ride once on a trip. It's just not that exciting, not when compared to Maverick. MF is one we only have to ride once because it doesn't compare to Maverick or Raptor either.

But oh boy if I had the chance, I would have given anything to ride the original Bat at KI again. I'm sure people would have complained about head banging, but that coaster was everything a suspended coaster should be. It puts all other to shame. Ditto for the Crystal Beach Cyclone. God, what I would have given to ride that. I guess that's why I'm shocked people complain about Maverick.

Man, that's pretty funny.

I completely disagree with absolutely everything in your 1st paragraph, but wholeheartedly agree with everything in the second one.

I got to ride SoB only one day back when it still had the loop & I loved that thing. I rode it a good dozen times, yes it was a bit rough, but it was fast & intense and just was way better than it's Dad who's but a shadow of his former self. Learn how to ride the Beast? Unless you can learn how to turn off the brakes, the only challenge is staying awake through that snoozefest. And MF is far & above my favorite at CP, nothing else compares for me, but I dig the big 1st drops.

Great call on The Bat though, that ride was the best suspended I've ever ridden. And when I get that time machine working right, Crystal Beach is definitely on the list.

I have mixed feelings about this. Mantis was my first stand-up coaster. While it certainly wasn't the best ride in the world, it wasn't the absolute worst either. Maybe I have better thoughts of it because I rode it when it was new, before the trim on the first drop was added, etc. I might be crazy, but I feel like if you get one of those rare rides with the trim off, it seems to run much smoother (or maybe I just got a train with new wheels on it). While it'll be strange to me to not have Mantis there anymore (in its current state at least), I'm excited to see what CP is gonna do with the ride.

Cedar Fair also COMPLETELY dropped Intamin so I doubt that will be happening.

Quit spreading this BS rumor around. There was never anything to "drop." There was no contract. Just because CF doesn't have any current Intamin projects doesn't mean they never will again.

This is the same stupid rumor that people said about SFMM for YEARS. And then all of a sudden SFMM went and did 3 Intamin projects in a row!

And not 1 of said projects was a damn Aquatrax!!

Heck even the one that does exists only trax's these days, I haven't seen the aqua in a few years, I dread to think what would happen under SFMM

I predict they repaint Mantis, it gets floorless trains, and they rename it Return of the King. The 2nd half of the announcement will be a dark-ride similar to what Canada's Wonderland got this year.

But it would be seriously ironic if they sold Mantis to Kentucky Kingdom.

How would it be ironic since CP isn't a SF park? Aside from the "refurb" of t2, I'm pretty sure that's all the have planned for next summer. I don't know if they even have room for Mantis

I predict they repaint Mantis, it gets floorless trains, and they rename it Return of the King. The 2nd half of the announcement will be a dark-ride similar to what Canada's Wonderland got this year.

How would it be ironic since CP isn't a SF park? Aside from the "refurb" of t2, I'm pretty sure that's all the have planned for next summer. I don't know if they even have room for Mantis

Because Kentucky Kingdom used to have a mirror version of Mantis with Chang...which is now Green Lantern at SFGAdv

Because Kentucky Kingdom used to have a mirror version of Mantis with Chang...which is now Green Lantern at SFGAdv

I guess so.. In any case, I don't want mantis at one of my closest parks

I do! It's better than nothing.

Hmm... is this a possible "clue" that no one has noticed yet? Check out the hash tag in this tweet from Dorney Park yesterday...

There's been a little discussion around that tweet, I just can't remember which thread. Someone else pointed out that Carowinds had released a similar tweet around that time. Hopefully Dorney doesn't get another crappy relocated ride. If I can find the discussion I'll link to it.

***Edit: Found where they discussed it a bit in the Dorney thread: Dorney

Put me in the crowd that thinks CP will reconfigure and retheme Mantis rather than ship it off for something new. Literally every time I've ridden Mantis I've thought "Well that was OK, but it would be SO much better as a floorless". It just makes sense, and it would be a cost-effective solution. Most of the GP wouldn't know it wasn't even a new coaster, and those that did would find it pretty rad.

I rarely think about Mantis when I think of CP. Standup coasters are uncomfortable enough that they are "meh" rides even with great layouts. A solid floorless coaster, on the other hand, is a nice addition to a spectacular lineup.

I just don't see that happening

If they turn it into a floorless would they go back to 3 trains? Maybe loading times are faster for floorless than stand ups? Maybe somebody with experience can chime in?

On another thought maybe sell the old trains to six flags send one to magic mountain to give them 3 standup trains again and send the other 2 where they are most needed.

If they turn it into a floorless would they go back to 3 trains? Maybe loading times are faster for floorless than stand ups? Maybe somebody with experience can chime in?

On another thought maybe sell the old trains to six flags send one to magic mountain to give them 3 standup trains again and send the other 2 where they are most needed.

Floorless dispatches would be faster since the hold up for stand up coasters is people fooling around with the seats and not being seated correctly (which causes the operator to unlock and check the trains again). Also the third train is long gone since they were using it for parts to service the other trains.

If you are implying the Mantis trains would be converted to floorless trains, that brings up a good argument. Would they be rebuilt or just replaced?

I personally feel brand new rolling stock would be provided for such a conversion.

For those who actually believe CP would relocate Mantis... come on now... my heads hurts just thinking about how anyone could believe that. For those who have an honest belief it would ever go to Kentucky, no. No, no, no.

Someone made a joke about it going to Kentucky since they sold Chang to Great Adventure. I hope no one was seriously believing that?

I don't think going from standing to floorless trains would cause any problems as far as the heartline goes.

There is already a large variation in the heartline of the rider because of the riders height, and also I think the floor of the standing trains is much closer to the track than the 'floor' (or where it would be) of the floorless trains. The seats on floorless trains are actually pretty high up to provide clearance for people feet. So the heartline is probably pretty much in the same ballpark for both types of trains.

I also think that the layout of the track isn't hugely dependent on heartline because it doesn't have any zero g rolls or anything like that, and the transitions are generally more gentle because of it being a standup.

Here's what I'm expecting:

Mantis in itself isn't going anywhere. I'm expecting floorless trains (which alludes to Mantis being "squashed" as I think the floorless trains are slightly shorter than the stand-ups), the ride to be repainted and to be renamed. The Mantis name gets used for a ride at another CF park, which alludes to Mantis being "relocated."