TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'll never understand why people have issues with Maverick's restraints. There's literally no headbanging on this ride at all... anywhere. No leg pain either... we rode it 5 times in a row without getting off during ERT the other night and there was no pain at all. Just an awesome... awesome ride.

Some of the best rides do require a little defensive planning depending on your body type.

True coaster nerds learn this, and also realize that if you want parks to build an intense ride, it might come with a little bit of discomfort and take some time to learn how to do it right. And once you do get the hang of it, it's not a problem at all. Kind of like having great sex.

Side note - I'm assuming those people who bitch about Maverick's restraints have not had great sex and thus cannot relate to this concept at all.

--Robb "For some of us, though, this just comes naturally." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Some of the best rides do require a little defensive planning depending on your body type.

True coaster nerds learn this, and also realize that if you want parks to build an intense ride, it might come with a little bit of discomfort and take some time to learn how to do it right. And once you do get the hang of it, it's not a problem at all. Kind of like having great sex.

Side note - I'm assuming those people who bitch about Maverick's restraints have not had great sex and thus cannot relate to this concept at all.

--Robb "For some of us, though, this just comes naturally." Alvey

Rob, I'm now a very confused parent so thanks! My son is now 14 and you make a good point, but I don't want to make that analogy yet, LOL

But seriously how can you be a roller coaster enthusiast and not learn to ride certain coasters 'defensively' so you get the most enjoyment out of them? I made sure I taught my son because he loves them as much as me. I want that to continue. (And no, I never found a way to make SOB enjoyable, but we have both enjoyed Mantis because I showed him.)

^ Exactly. I get that Maverick neck chops some people based on their height or whatever. But after it does it *ONCE* you should be able to figure out how ride to make it not do that ever again. And if you can't, you're dumb. You need to hand in your coaster geek card and learn how to knit or play hand bells or something...

my neck got destroyed my first ever ride on maverick. lol. i really had no idea what i was riding, the layout, nothing. after the first one, i learned how to ride it and now totally enjoy it. i still hit my neck/head coming out of the launch tho.

if i was tighter in the restraint, aka taller and bigger, i'm sure i wouldn't ever hit my head or even be able to. but there not that big of a deal, at all.

True coaster nerds learn this, and also realize that if you want parks to build an intense ride, it might come with a little bit of discomfort and take some time to learn how to do it right.

I know you've ridden FAR more coasters than I have, but as a designer, I have to take issue with your statement. We know that it is possible to have intense rides without unnecessary pain, so when they add stupid OTSR's just to make the ride feel safer it is just that, stupid. I can defensively ride Maverick without head banging now that I've ridden it enough. But, I'd rather ride it like MF and TTD and throw my arms up and just go with the ride. You can't do that while "defensively riding" a coaster. Like most things, I know this is a personal preference, but I'd rather ride i305 (even before the reprofiling) over and over again than Maverick any day because I can just ride and enjoy. Since it's my job to find problems with things and come up with ways on fixing/improving them, this is why I hate those restraints...I know it could be better without them.

^ Pro Tip #1 - Sit in the front row of the car. Pro Tip #2 - Lean in to the turn. You'll never hit your head or your neck again.

I do those things already. But I still have to hold on to the restraints right by my shoulders and apply a lot of pressure. I want to put my hands up!

^ Pro Tip #1 - Sit in the front row of the car. Pro Tip #2 - Lean in to the turn. You'll never hit your head or your neck again.

Exactly. You can also lean forward. I have drilled into my son's head on Arrows with OSR's to lean forward and keep your head out of them. But once you know the layout, you can anticipate as Rob just said.

I do those things already. But I still have to hold on to the restraints right by my shoulders and apply a lot of pressure. I want to put my hands up!

Maverick is not a coaster you need or want to keep your hands up on. Pretend it's Raptor where you can't. It provides the thrills. Just sit back and enjoy. MF is the one to keep your hands up on.

Edited by apatos99

^ Exactly. I get that Maverick neck chops some people based on their height or whatever. But after it does it *ONCE* you should be able to figure out how ride to make it not do that ever again.

Maverick's neck chop is nothing compared to Tornado at Bakken. And even that you can brace for, after it happens the first time...

I didn't find Mantis to be as rough as some of the other B&M stand-ups, the track layout is decent enough and it might make a good floorless coaster, being over the water.

I just realized my 150th coaster will happen at CP next summer! Thoughts on which ride should take the title? I'm thinking either MF, Maverick, or Raptor

Mean Streak for sure. Especially since its days as it is are probably numbered.

Intamin's skinny rubber restraints are a minor plague on otherwise flawless coasters across the world, but they wouldn't be that noticeable anyway if the forces weren't so strong and awesome on those coasters. I305 gave me two sore shoulders for a few days, but did that really kill the enjoyment of it? No.

I believe a lot of it has to do with heartline too. On the immediate left turn after the launch on Maverick, I found the left side to be more comfortable than the right. Also, when going through the twisted horseshoe roll, one of the corkscrews will be smoother than the other due to the heartline. Same goes for the back-to-back "twisties" as well.

After riding Maverick several times in all different kinds of seats, this is what I noticed. Because of this, the front left seat of Maverick is my favorite roller coaster experience of all time!

Look, I can't fix stupid. If you're still hitting your head then it's user error.

Pro Tip #3 - Stop complaining. You sound like an idiot.

Intamin's skinny rubber restraints are a minor plague on otherwise flawless coasters across the world, but they wouldn't be that noticeable anyway if the forces weren't so strong and awesome on those coasters. I305 gave me two sore shoulders for a few days, but did that really kill the enjoyment of it? No.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

You sound like an idiot.

Wow. Thanks, Robb. Sorry for having an opinion.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have opinions.

Oh, and that thing I said about you sounding like an idiot, that was my OPINION, too. So right back at 'ya!

Whether Mantis gets floorless or sit down trains, is moved to another park, or scrapped. Any of the three outcomes is good news as far as I am concerned. Mantis made Shockwave (a Togo Stand-up) in comparison seem smooth, enjoyable, and well engineered.

I can't believe anyone complains about the restraints on Maverick or Maverick itself. Rollercoasters are not meant to be old school luxury sedans that pamper you and rock you to sleep. They are to be exotic sport car that bring you to life. Having these elements and drops are not for sight seeing purposes, they are to fill you with forces and the Maverick is one of the best ones made. If anyone seriously thinks Maverick and its restraints are rough, spend some time on any traditional B&M, Arrow, Vekoma, Premier (if they have any that have not been changed), Schwartzkopf, Togo, etc. and bang your head on those restraints. Your head will be aching for quite a while afterwards. Maverick's restraints are very soft in comparison and unlike the above listed, they do not give you the headache the above listed will. Even if it did, Maverick is worth it. Other ones like Mantis (and Boomerangs) are not worth it.