TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Not a good time to be a Standup at a Cedar Fair park. I hope the Vortices can hang one for at least one more season. It sounds ridiculous with all the other great coasters in California and King's Dominion, but there is a good possibility that a pair of old, unloved B&M Standups are what finally brings me to California and King's Dominion, respectively.

I'm glad I have plenty of laps on Mantis.

As for the Togo in Canada? Once was enough. I don't think they (Togo Standups) are rough, they just don't really do anything for me.

The other Vortex is at Carowinds. King's Dominion has Shockwave...a Togo Standup.

^That might have been a joke.

Aqua trax is on that list.

NO!!! It is to be taken SERIOUSLY! Mantis WILL be re-located. AquaTrax WILL be built!!

Wait, I thought they were converting Mantis into the worlds first B&M Aquatrax.

I predict they repaint Mantis, it gets floorless trains, and they rename it Return of the King. The 2nd half of the announcement will be a dark-ride similar to what Canada's Wonderland got this year.

But it would be seriously ironic if they sold Mantis to Kentucky Kingdom.

I cant beleive that CP would actually remove mantis. i think they may reprofile the drop and maybe try to add an extra inversion or three. i easily see a cobra roll back by the creek and if they can figure out a way to get a zero-g roll in as well, that may go a long way to building a great coaster. It would also make for the first floorless coaster with the inclined loop, which would be something new on the standard 7 inversion B&M layouts

Please forgive me if it's been mentioned at some point in the 20+ pages of speculation, but the teaser text:

Goodbye is never easy. In this case, it is.

If Mantis was being removed from the park entirely, I do not think the latter sentence would be part of the trailer, no matter how many people disliked the ride. I find it hard to believe that any park, especially Cedar Point, would openly suggest that *everyone* wants to see a particular ride removed.

If we are to assume Mantis will remain at Cedar Point, but as a new experience, be it new trains, paint, buildings, etc., then goodbye would be easy in this case, since it's not truly a goodbye. The teaser text makes a lot more sense in this context. Just my two cents.

Edited by Myself

People really think it's leaving? B&Ms are expensive (and great IMO) and even very expensive to move. I can't imagine them taking it down. I don't think they would test the new scheme for speculation alone.

The reaper reaches for the train, the clues point more to a train conversion than a removal in my opinion. I imagine this is Rougarou in the making. I also wouldn't expect a dark ride until 2016. The conversion will be massively expensive and sufficient enough if they can breathe new life into that awesome layout.

I also wouldn't expect this show stopper coaster to be renamed king James. I'm thinking Wicked Twister for that one. Put a couple of hoops on the spikes for all I care.

Why would anyone suggest enclosing the second half and having special effects?? We all know CP cannot maintain effects. How soon ye forget Magnum's tunnels, Maverick's tunnel, and Disaster Transport!

I'm holding out for something amazing, but I'm starting to question the whole "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" moniker now since they seem to be removing coasters faster than they put them in lately (even though I don't really think Mantis is leaving). I love Cedar Point since I grew up in Ohio and go back religiously every summer regardless of where in the world I live. But, on my visit this summer, my friend and I only re-rode Millennium and Dragster over and over again - the rest we just rode once or skipped. So, we either go too much, or there's better coasters elsewhere.

If they're really "overhaulin" Mantis, they should replace Maverick's restraints with the i305 straps so I can actually re-ride that one as well!

I like indoor sections even if the effects are off though.

Anyways, that's a perfect Idea, unless something about the land would make building there hard to do. The second half of mantis is really fun, and would be great on a floorless.

Not expecting it to happen though.

Edited by Fooz

I retract my statement, if you watch the video it is very obvious the trains are the only thing going when death reaches out to touch the train it disappears in the next clip and then shows just the track layout, but you can clearly see them show the station empty after he touches the train.

Maybe if they could either re-profile Mantis or just completely scrap it they could be the first coaster in the US with 8 inversions. They really need another good inverting coaster, all they have is Gatekeeper and Raptor.

And Corkscrew, and Maverick.

Corkscrew - Not good

Maverick - Has two inversions and isn't focused on them.

Ok I hadn't seen the video until now, and it seems obvious from the production that this is a refit, with sit down trains at the least. It also is almost identical to the marketing tactics they used when they announced that steel phantom was closing!

I think CF is going to do something worthwhile with it.

Maybe if they could either re-profile Mantis or just completely scrap it they could be the first coaster in the US with 8 inversions. They really need another good inverting coaster, all they have is Gatekeeper and Raptor.

Though I don't think the layout will change I, personally, would like to see them try to at least break the American records for most inversions on one coaster since the most we have is seven. Don't know how they would be able to add four more inversions to the existing layout but I would love to see a zero-G since I don't see the inclined loop staying.

Will the ride go back to three train operation like Mantis was originally supposed to run or will they stick with two?

If they're really "overhaulin" Mantis, they should replace Maverick's restraints with the i305 straps so I can actually re-ride that one as well!

Only complete pussies have issues with Maverick's restraints. For the rest of us, they are just fine.

Edited by robbalvey

Only complete pussies have issues with Maverick's restraints. For the rest of us, they are just fine.

I'm in fucking love with your posts, you need your own TV show for Travel especially in the UK with your somewhat dark humor

ha ha ha. I'll admit they're better than B&M restraints (the old-school ones), but they're still painful for short people like myself. Seeing that they're completely useless makes me hate them even more. I'm thankful we have the t-bars on MF and TTD, but Maverick's just annoy me. I love the ride too, just can't ride it more than once (or rather justify the wait more than once).

Though I don't think the layout will change I, personally, would like to see them try to at least break the American records for most inversions on one coaster since the most we have is seven. Don't know how they would be able to add four more inversions to the existing layout but I would love to see a zero-G since I don't see the inclined loop staying.

Will the ride go back to three train operation like Mantis was originally supposed to run or will they stick with two?

Why couldn't they keep the inclined loop?

I'm in fudging love with your posts, you need your own TV show for Travel especially in the UK with your somewhat dark humor

All of my mean spirited humor gets cut from the Travel shows...

Producer: "You can't call people pussies!"

Me: "But they ARE pussies if they are going to bitch about a stupid restraint on a perfectly good ride."

Producer: "I know that, but you just can't say it on the show."

Me: "Then what do you want me to say?"

Producer: "I dunno, tell me how tall the ride is or something..."

*sigh*

But yes, people who complain about Maverick's restraints are, in fact... pussies. And they deserve whatever pain they get while riding.

Tall, but slightly fat people might not have the restraint come down all the way, so they have something to complain about. Cedar Fair also COMPLETELY dropped Intamin so I doubt that will be happening. One more thing. If Matt Ouimet is interested in Intamin, I would go out on a limb and guess that it would get lap bars like on Altair CCW-0204. I305's restraints might not do good because the GP would say "OMG! Can't breathe!" Altair's lap bars would provide a much more open air experience.

Tall, but slightly fat people might not have the restraint come down all the way, so they have something to complain about.

No, they don't. They are pussies.

If Matt Ouimet is interested in Intamin, I would go out on a limb and guess that it would get lap bars like on Altair CCW-0204.

And then we would just get a whole new breed of pussies that would complain it's too tight on their legs. See: Skyrush.

Edited by robbalvey

They can at times, especially if you're a kid and you have thin legs. My son was 12 when I took him on the first time and he got stapled. Didn't stop him from getting right back on (We both love Maverick and usually ride 7-8 times when we visit).

We learned, if you push out on your restraints (Keep your hands on the restraints and push) on the one ejector hill and both MCBR's, you won't have any problems. Skyrush on the 'wings' is worst. No matter what my son did, he got stapled. But he was fine on the inside. Of course a little pain is no deterrent for him, since both rides give such great rides.

Some of the best rides do require a little defensive planning depending on your body type.