TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It's almost not possible to build a whole NEW coaster there. Mantis would close in October, then they have to demolish it, do all the excavating and foundations, then erect, etc, etc. All that BEFORE June? I don't see it. They would had to have started the demolition process sooner, in my opinion.

I could see a new coaster replacing Mantis for the 2016 season.

It's almost not possible to build a whole NEW coaster there. Mantis would close in October, then they have to demolish it, do all the excavating and foundations, then erect, etc, etc. All that BEFORE June? I don't see it. They would had to have started the demolition process sooner, in my opinion.

Especially with those winters, this is a good point.

And you know this based on your how many years of experience designing and building roller coasters?

The track isn't going anywhere. I can imagine if parks keep arrow loopers and other crapp coasters for as long as they do, a less crappy well built ride like Mantis will be here for a while.

My only speculation is that maybe we will see a different type of trains from the traditional floorless train design. At the very least I'm sure it will have B&M's new over the shoulder restraints.

And you know this based on your how many years of experience designing and building roller coasters?

I would certainly imagine the turnaround for a new coaster would largely depend on what kind it is. Also, I'm stupid so I'm probably wrong.

I'm just saying this on my experience with CP. This my home park. I have seen them start Big projects like Maverick in September, let alone October.

I have also built some sweet K'nex Coasters

I really think that they are removing Mantis. I think it would be hard to market new floorless trains and a new coat of paint as a new ride. To the GP, they would simply see it as an update to the current ride, but not a completely new ride. I know that Six Flags markets the RMC conversions as new rides, but that is because they completely changed the layout of them. If they were to do that for Mantis, then I would say it could be marketed as a new ride, but they probably won't change the layout of Mantis at all.

A floorless Mantis conversion would be pretty great, but...the whole faking the "death" of a coaster thing is starting to turn into a bit of a cliche now. Cyclone, Colossus, and Mantis just in one year?

Assuming it is what's going on, of course, but it does seem likely from the wording.

I would certainly imagine the turnaround for a new coaster would largely depend on what kind it is. Also, I'm stupid so I'm probably wrong.

All I'm saying is that I've seen projects get turned around faster than you can imagine. I mean, hi, the built Transformers at Universal Orlando in 10 months and that included the complete demolition of a building, new foundations, a new building that houses a two-story dark ride, a full themed queue AND a shop!

Look how quickly they turned around Kentucky Kingdom which included a new roller coaster and a giant new water park area.

All I'm saying is this - if a park (any park, not just CP) wanted to attempt to turn around a brand new ride in a few months, there are PLENTY of examples you can point to where a park has been successful at it.

Edited by robbalvey

Really well done video!

On October 19th they are going to announce Mantis has been sold to Darien Lake, calling it.

ummmm.... WHAT?! How did you come to that conclusion?

Well, it's obvious Darien Lake wants to set the record for "most standup coasters kept perpetually in a field". This is their chance to really hit the big time.

Anyone know any technical hurdles as far as track gauge or station design involving their floorless trains? I'm sure it can be done, but this would be their first conversion to "normal sized" floorless.

While they're changing the ride, remove the first drop trim plz. And someone had the idea to enclose half the ride...yes to that too, rename it "Dispatch Master Transport to Alaska."

Isn't it early for them to say it's closing now if they're using the space for a 2016 coaster? Construction would most likely start in 2015 unless it's a huge project. So maybe it's replacement is for 2015.

Not necessarily. The general consensus for Canada's Wonderland is that construction for 2016's ride will start early in the 2015 season after Skyrider's removal.

Of course, we're all idiot enthusiasts, so we're likely wrong.

While speculation about the fate of a ride and what may or may not replace it can be fun, I for one can wait a month and a half to find out the real story. Am I going to go ride Mantis one last time? Probably not, I always found it a bit too painful to be fun. But I anticipate the upcoming change with excitement.

I really think that they are removing Mantis. I think it would be hard to market new floorless trains and a new coat of paint as a new ride. To the GP, they would simply see it as an update to the current ride, but not a completely new ride. I know that Six Flags markets the RMC conversions as new rides, but that is because they completely changed the layout of them. If they were to do that for Mantis, then I would say it could be marketed as a new ride, but they probably won't change the layout of Mantis at all.

Yeah, but it's not some huge marketing scheme. It's just a few teasers social media at this point.

That being said, I would think that a conversion from traditional B&M standup trains to traditional B&M floorless trains would be a little more quiet and possibly teaserless. Hence why I think CP may have something extra up their sleeves or a new style of trains that we haven't yet seen.

Its not going anywhere. Whoever posted the old Bizzaro discussion I commend you. They're going to slap new floorless trains on it and market it as the only floorless in Ohio.

Floorless trains, but backwards..

"world's largest backwards looping coaster"