TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Evil Streak is definitely coming CF has had to have noticed how well every single ride has come out. If they're worried about the NTAG accident they will realize that RMC didn't make that train and they now have a different type of train. Will Evil Streak come in 2015? Almost definitely not. But I bet it will close in the next year.

It seems like Six Flags has an exclusivity deal with RMC for their I-Box track for the foreseeable future, no?

I guarantee this will be the Mantis makeover, and hopefully Mean Streak RMC.

I can almost guarantee not. The term "High Noon" was used which makes me immediately think of the old west (someone on another forum said something pirate related but high noon definitely is an old west term, other than meaning just "noon"). This would be Frontier Trail or Frontiertown. According to the Frontier Trail brochure for 2014 (http://i.pointbuzz.com/frontiertrail/frontier-trail-2-3.jpg), Mantis is not a part of the trail.

Then there was this tweet by Tony Clark about getting the third live cam going (one that many have speculated will be the cam that covers the new construction): https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/505012668475121665/photo/1

The cam, at that point, is facing over towards Frontiertown, with Mean Streak not even being in view.

Of course, the cams can be adjusted at any time without anyone getting up to them. But that may be a sign of what area the new attraction will be coming. Couple that with "high noon". Right now, it's still anyone's guess, not many clues to deal with.

My guess is something will replace the mine ride and a multi-year refresh of western town. High Noon seems to be a hint to. Maybe a location from the webcam? As in straight ahead?

What?

^Yes, but there is a third camera presently being installed. This is the one that everyone is assuming will be used for construction. It was this third cam that Tony tweeted about in the tweet that I linked.

The emphases on "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" really makes me think its a new/redo of a coaster.

I agree. I think that it is most likely going to be floorless trains on Mantis. I don't think it will be an Iron Horse of Mean Streak because they would have to have closed it already if they want it to be ready by Opening Day next year. It probably won't be a new coaster from scratch either because land clearing would've already started, and they probably would've been teasing us for the past month about it.

Evil Streak is definitely coming CF has had to have noticed how well every single ride has come out. If they're worried about the NTAG accident they will realize that RMC didn't make that train and they now have a different type of train. Will Evil Streak come in 2015? Almost definitely not. But I bet it will close in the next year.

I'm confused. First you say It's definitely coming, than you say it's almost definitely not ( well, you said not in 2015). Cedar Fair LOVES B&M so I can almost guarantee the next coaster installed at a CP will be B&M, but I probably wouldn't bet on it this year. I would guess 2017 or later for CP's next major coaster.

I'm honestly hoping for a new flat ride, or a revamp of Frontier town, but we'll see what happens on the 2nd.

RMC only has 2 projects for 2015, as stated on their website. So rule out Iron Mean Streak. Or Steel streak.

Three. Don't forget Wildfire.

Wildfire will open in 2016. So it's technically a 2016 project.

At any rate, something tells me this won't be a coaster at all. The only clues we "may" have are

-High Noon (indicating old west)

-Camp Rou (indicating Rougarou which has nothing to do with the Old West)

The only clue we REALLY have is Jason McClure releasing to the press back in July that the 2015 addition will be aimed towards Teens and Thrill Seekers. Doesn't mean its a coaster or anything of that sort.

Then there are all of Tony's posts that went right in line with speculation on PointBuzz (Pirate Ride building, Blue Streak Midway, the bayou area, Mantis & Mean Streak). He's been having fun and playing lots of jokes to get people to throw out crazy ideas.

Edited by Coasterguy21

Who said it will be for 2015. They could wait to start construction and open it in 2016.

Who said it's going to be a coaster, or an RMC for that matter. I honestly hope they do revamp Frontiertown, as that sounds like a really good thing to happen.

I loved Frontier town, and if they could revamp it, I think that would be amazing. But let's find out what they're really doing when they actually announce it.

Because you guys are talking about the 2015 announcement.. Probably that.

Lol

It seems as if the whole Iron Horse revamp of Mean Streak just isn't going to happen. Even though it hasn't been said, it appears that RMC has a contract with Six Flags that may be continuing for several more years. I believe Fred Grubb said at the most recent IAPPA that the company is completely booked for the next few years. With that being said, let's have some fun and speculate. I would not be surprised if a competitor not named Intamin came out with their own prefabricated track to revamp troublesome woodies. Would it be that difficult for say, GCI, to approach a third party construction company to create a wooden track that's laser cut from a higher quality laid-up vaneer? That's exactly what Intamin did with Cordes, and has certainly been successful in terms of ride quality. The reason I mention GCI is because they seem to have a good relationship with Cedar Fair, and it appears they may be upping their game in the near future.

It's obvious that Mean Streak has low popularity among CP guests when compared to their other coasters, and it will continue to dwindle as the park adds more rides and still runs this ride in its current state. All that sums up to "something" being done with it, and hopefully it will be sooner than later. Done correctly with the advancements that have been made, MS could be transformed into an excellent ride. It sure would be nice for a park that calls itself "America's Roller Coast" to have a top notch woodie.

Maybe Sky-Line Attractions will do an RMC type re-hab. RMC doesn't have a contract with SF but no one else has built one yet. Also didn't they just build a new factory so they could build more rides? (If you can't tell I REALLY want an RMC.)

Haha! How could you not want an RMC? Living in PA and having SFNE only a 3 hour drive from me is really exciting from my perspective with yesterday's confirmation of WC. I haven't ridden one yet but I think it's safe to assume that I'm going to love the ride.

I have a love for wooden coasters, and with that being said I would be ecstatic for CP to have an awesome example of one. I used to goto CP every year until 2005 and I made a pact that the next time I go out will be because they finally built a good woodie. Ever since SFGadv built El Toro I haven't had much reason to make the 6+ hour drive to CP when I could get the same or better quality coasters, wood or steel, at parks much closer to me.

It would be awesome if the mine ride was replaced with a GG woodie like Ravine Flyer/Voyager. Then they can replace Mean Steak. I agree it isn't all that rough but even if they removed the trims it just wouldn't be very fun.

Exactly, Mean Steak is boring. It doesn't matter how rough/smooth it is, it will always be a Dinn/Summers design in its current profile. Their firm didn't like airtime incorporated into their rides(Sources: Wild Rides on Discovery Channel in 1996 and an interview with Charles Dinn about Hercules as it was being built). CP remains amazing in its collection of steel coasters, but an awesome woodie in their lineup would be epic.

Have those markings on the ground in the Blue Streak area and elsewhere been explained yet? I remember those teaser pics from long ago; I was wondering if it was ever determined what those markings meant. Perhaps nothing but laying electricity/water/gas to an area that doesn't have those connections.

I think anything with Mean Streak for next year would be out. If they plan to renovate or remove it for 2016, they would wait until next year to announce that, I'm sure. Anything dealing with Mantis could still be on the table, and I suppose it could be a dark ride coming - perhaps with a frontier/western theme?