TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So Bryan tweets out to watch a POV of Mantis and then Tony tweets out to watch a POV of Mean Streak.

Now I'm torn on whether it's sitdown/floorless Mantis or RMC Mean Streak. Either one would be great. My guess is that both of those will eventually happen, with one of them coming next year. I also predict that whatever comes next year will also get renamed King James (assuming they're really serious about that).

I don't think there will be a RMC Mean Streak since we know the two RMCs this year are Wicked Cyclone and Twisted Colossus and the third is Wildfire which will open in 2016 (we know this since Alan Schilke mentioned that there will be 3 RMC coasters opening in 2015 and 2016).

If they were announcing Mean Streak this year it would probably take at least till may to take down old wood and track. Then they would have to re-build it with new wood sections and Hybrid track which might take till 2016. I don't know how long ago that was said but it could have been planned recently.

^Does a park really ever "have to" or "need to" do anything though? It's all just enthusiasts "wish lists". The park knows how things are operating and maybe the ridership numbers both pull in are justifiable to NOT do renovations on them. Nothing was ever stated that "it will happen".

Disaster Transport broke down a lot and the building was an eyesore on the beach. It also sat in the exact area they wanted to build a new coaster in. That's why it went. Same with Space Spiral. Not as much of an eyesore and definitely iconic, but it was a maintenance nightmare and its ridership just wasn't justifiable.

Parks don't have to do exactly what we want or would like to see, but they do have make improvements and continually evolve. They're a business, and the tourism industry is particularly fickle. Older rides that no longer get a lot of attention from guests, specifically positive attention, are just dead weight to a park that must continually change to meet attendance and revenue goals.

Cedar Fair also understands return on investment. Making a smaller change could see a fairly equivalent return as making a much more expensive installation, only in less time. While the rumors going around don't have a ton of weight behind them, they seem fairly cost-effective and would certainly increase the appeal of older rides.

As a personal note, I do not find Mantis or Mean Streak appealing as they are now. They both physically hurt me. Mantis, at least, has a seemingly decent layout. I find Mean Streak's general design is out-dated; it has not aged well. The layout is peculiar and ineffective, IMHO. Any change to either coaster would make me want to ride them again.

I don't predict a substantial change to Mean Streak next year. Any significant change to Mean Streak, and CP would likely give the public some warning so they could get their last rides in.

Parks don't have to do exactly what we want or would like to see, but they do have make improvements and continually evolve. They're a business, and the tourism industry is particularly fickle. Older rides that no longer get a lot of attention from guests, specifically positive attention, are just dead weight to a park that must continually change to meet attendance and revenue goals.

Cedar Fair also understands return on investment. Making a smaller change could see a fairly equivalent return as making a much more expensive installation, only in less time. While the rumors going around don't have a ton of weight behind them, they seem fairly cost-effective and would certainly increase the appeal of older rides.

As a personal note, I do not find Mantis or Mean Streak appealing as they are now. They both physically hurt me. Mantis, at least, has a seemingly decent layout. I find Mean Streak's general design is out-dated; it has not aged well. The layout is peculiar and ineffective, IMHO. Any change to either coaster would make me want to ride them again.

I don't predict a substantial change to Mean Streak next year. Any significant change to Mean Streak, and CP would likely give the public some warning so they could get their last rides in.

Yes, I know how the business works and agree with you on the above. But what I'm getting at here is that I don't think the ridership on those rides has suffered to the point of removal or change. The Mantis to Floorless conversion wouldn't be that cost-effective (Sitdown maybe, but I don't think the layout would be fun for a sitdown without reprofiling), RMCing I guess I could see being there. But on your personal note, does John Q public feel that way? Last time I was at Cedar Point, Mantis was at a two hour wait. I'll admit that even I was surprised, but I don't think ridership is super suffering on those rides.

The Gemini Midway improvements this year have proved to give a great ROI to the park. Tony stated in an interview that they do plan at looking around the park at what areas need to be refreshed or improved. I would not be surprised if the Blue Streak Midway was next. With the haunted house located at the Point Pavilion now axed for HalloWeekends, maybe that front area of the park is next.

My bet is that nothing will happen to Mean Streak or Mantis this year outside of one of them probably getting the "King James" name for a bit.

So Bryan tweets out to watch a POV of Mantis and then Tony tweets out to watch a POV of Mean Streak.

Now I'm torn on whether it's sitdown/floorless Mantis or RMC Mean Streak. Either one would be great. My guess is that both of those will eventually happen, with one of them coming next year. I also predict that whatever comes next year will also get renamed King James (assuming they're really serious about that).

I don't think there will be a RMC Mean Streak since we know the two RMCs this year are Wicked Cyclone and Twisted Colossus and the third is Wildfire which will open in 2016 (we know this since Alan Schilke mentioned that there will be 3 RMC coasters opening in 2015 and 2016).

Wait...does that mean no new RMC's will be announced next year! If there's only 3, then there won't be any new RMC's at Six Flags parks for 2016.

Wait...does that mean no new RMC's will be announced next year! If there's only 3, then there won't be any new RMC's at Six Flags parks for 2016.

RMC is expanding their workshop. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years we start to see 4-5 new creations each year.

Yes, I know how the business works and agree with you on the above. But what I'm getting at here is that I don't think the ridership on those rides has suffered to the point of removal or change. The Mantis to Floorless conversion wouldn't be that cost-effective (Sitdown maybe, but I don't think the layout would be fun for a sitdown without reprofiling), RMCing I guess I could see being there. But on your personal note, does John Q public feel that way? Last time I was at Cedar Point, Mantis was at a two hour wait. I'll admit that even I was surprised, but I don't think ridership is super suffering on those rides.

The Gemini Midway improvements this year have proved to give a great ROI to the park. Tony stated in an interview that they do plan at looking around the park at what areas need to be refreshed or improved. I would not be surprised if the Blue Streak Midway was next. With the haunted house located at the Point Pavilion now axed for HalloWeekends, maybe that front area of the park is next.

My bet is that nothing will happen to Mean Streak or Mantis this year outside of one of them probably getting the "King James" name for a bit.

Those have some of the lowest rider ship in the park. On the busiest of days Mantis generally won't go above half an hour and Mean Streak will always take longer to walk to the station than actually waiting. When they took out Disaster Transport it was still getting waits over 2 hours. If they are gonna update an area of the park my bet would also be the Blue Streak Midway but the Maverick/Mean Streak area and Mantis/Iron Dragon areas are in a need of a refresh too.

Aside from the area around Iron Dragon and Power Tower, I've always thought the midways pretty nice, if narrow. Millennium through to Maverick is actually moderately well themed, and the Gemini area looks more festive now. Over by Wicked Twister has that Beachside carnival feel to it... The only problem I can see is that some of the midways are cramped. And their recent renovations have made that a little bit worse, IMO.

A long line on Mean Streak is a one train wait and there isn't a single person who says they want to ride again. Mantis is liked a little bit more but everyone I've talked to hates it.
There are two things wrong with this statement.....In the three years(2010-2012) I worked the ride, I can tell you we had substantial waits for the ride running three trains. Secondly, Several people get off the ride enjoying it.

A long line on Mean Streak is a one train wait and there isn't a single person who says they want to ride again. Mantis is liked a little bit more but everyone I've talked to hates it.

I'm pretty sure the most loyal single rider ever to enter the park proves this wring. His ride is Mean Streak and he's been riding it basically non-stop since it opened in 1991. I don't think there is a single rider for Mantis (anyone know?) but I highly doubt they could be as loyal. There is kind of a difference between a ride that may give a headache and a ride that gives people testicular torsion... headaches are normal on roller coasters, just because one is more bumpy than another doesn't take away from the experience of the speed, pacing, or layout of a coaster. The Voyage is a prime example. Voyage is an AMAZING coaster, in my top 3 for sure, but I can barely ride it twice in a row (at least near the back). My point being that bashing a coaster that is basically normal doesn't seem very logical. I agree that Mean Streak's layout has it's boring moments, but sometimes a trimless ride comes your way and you get to experience the full force of Mean Streak I know those are rare, but I still think it's a fun ride! I would definitely take time out of my day to enjoy it.

I'm not saying nobody likes Mantis either, I know lots of people who love the crap out of that ride. I'm simply saying that there are people who find joy in every coaster/ride! After working at a theme park, you come to know that. Even rides like the Carrousel and Wicked Twister have single riders!

Mantis & Mean Streak still pull in good waits. More than just "a one train wait". Not everyone is an enthusiast and, believe it or not, I do know of people who repeat rides on Mantis & Mean Streak. I personally don't because I want to get my other rides in first before re-riding a ride, but I honestly do not mind either coaster.

I was able to spend Monday and Tuesday at the park. I would be shocked if Mean Streak was torn down anytime soon. There is an awful lot of new lumber laying inside the midfield. I'm sure at the very least it will get some retracking during the off season. CF worked with GCI on Hurler at Carowinds last winter, so maybe they could be an option to re-profile parts of the course. It seams that SF is the only one having RMC do I-box conversions for the time being.

But who knows, it's a crazy business. Maybe CF can see if another company can duplicate what RMC does, Mondial perhaps?

Just got back from my first trip to Cedar Point. What a great time! Exceeded everything I ever watched on tv, played on RCT as a kid, and youtube POV vids.

I'm 30 now, and I felt like a little kid running around all over the place riding everything! We stayed at Breakers Express which was good for what it is, and the early entry was awesome. A Wednesday with school in session, hardly any waits until after 3pm. Flew up Tuesday, went to Fat Head's brewery which is awesome, drove to the point, walked around the beach and took pictures and videos to kill some time.

We went straight to Maverick with early entry, what a fun little twisted buckaroo this is. That inverted drop is a good way to wake you up, and I tried to anticipate all the tight turns so I didn't destroy my head first thing in the morning. Had my Ma with me, took a shot to the ear so she started off a little rough but she liked the ride as well. We couldn't stop laughing, those are some messed up turns and transitions in there. And the launch is another good eye opener. Loved it! Rode it again later in the day even with a 1/2 hour wait.

Millennium Force was everything I could have hoped for. More laughing, hands up the whole time time - this baby books it! I really don't know what else to say. Rode it near the front the first time, later in the day was in the back row and thought I was going to be launched into the lake down the first drop. Amazing, perfect ride!

Walked over and got in line for Top Thrill around 9:40 , got right on. I've been on Kingda Ka and forgot what a rush that launch is. My heart was in my butt, and drool all over the place, my Ma held on for dear life and said after she wanted it to stop as soon as it took off. She didn't get to see the wonderful, peaceful view at the top because she had her eyes closed and never went back on it again. I got lucky later in the day, I guess it broke down big time while there was a huge line and everyone left.. But as I was on Mantis getting my balls tortured and crushed, I saw a few people walking back into the line so I got on again within 5 minutes. Love that launch!

Mantis - get rid of it, do something to it. Name it LeBron and send it to another city. Whatever Woman that hates men that designed this headbanging nut crusher, job accomplished. Jesus H what was I thinking.

Iron dragon, fun I guess.

The whole beach area with Gatekeeper is a fun around. I bounced around all the rides there - Wicked Twister a couple times, last row is mental. Maxair had me saying " Where the hell did everything go " while I was upsidedown. Raptor was a little rough but still a fun legendary inverted ride, and those ride operators get that line moving! The line was down to floor level and I was on in no time.

Now Gatekeeper - smooth fun ride - BUT !! I went on as a single rider and got my friggin arm STUCK in between my OTS bar and the empty seat's next to me. I put my arms up on the inverted drop and my right arm got caught between the two bars. The g's pushed the restraints down and I got pinched between both, and it hurt like hell with every inversion. I kept thinking, great - I'm going to lose my arm on this damn thing, make it stop soon. I wasn't even paying attention to the ride, just trying to get my arm free.. But it's a smooth, long, leisurely ride that seemed to know that I was in my own hell with my arm caught in the ride freaking out... So we pull into the station and there's me in the front row, with my arm still up, stuck, my bicep basically turning blue from cut off circulation and everyone looking at me like a doofus. Rode it again later, no arms up, good ride.

Um, rode pretty much everything at least once. Didn't do Mean Streak because I already beat the crap out of myself on Mantis and didn't need anymore pain.

Ate at Famous Dave's, great BBQ.

I'm sure there's more I should review but it hasn't all sunk in that I was actually there, and I had a few drinks on the layover on the way home. Overall a great time, will definitely be back again. I'd like to stay in the cabins around the camp ground with a bigger group probably in May while schools are still in.

Beautiful place, you got yourselves a winner up there - which is good, because doesn't seem like there's much else to do around those parts. Mekong is awesome awesome awesome also!

If I honestly had to choose between getting rid of Mantis or Mean Streak, I'd vote for Mantis. Mean Streak I expect to be a rough ride because it's a wooden. (And I honestly didn't have a bad experience on Mean Streak when I rode it last year. Maybe it's just me.) Mantis, though...CP could do without it.

If I honestly had to choose between getting rid of Mantis or Mean Streak, I'd vote for Mantis. Mean Streak I expect to be a rough ride because it's a wooden. (And I honestly didn't have a bad experience on Mean Streak when I rode it last year. Maybe it's just me.) Mantis, though...CP could do without it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409324179.684072.jpg.93ebecc5252a33333812fc830982583d.jpg

Evil Streak is definitely coming CF has had to have noticed how well every single ride has come out. If they're worried about the NTAG accident they will realize that RMC didn't make that train and they now have a different type of train. Will Evil Streak come in 2015? Almost definitely not. But I bet it will close in the next year.