TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

How are dispatch times on Mantis? Would Floorless trains increase capacity? I know that floorless coasters have to have the floor go down, but I am pretty sure that some people would require operator assistance on a stand-up because they aren't used to the restraining system. Could floorless trains mean shorter lines?

How are dispatch times on Mantis? Would Floorless trains increase capacity? I know that floorless coasters have to have the floor go down, but I am pretty sure that some people would require operator assistance on a stand-up because they aren't used to the restraining system. Could floorless trains mean shorter lines?

Mantis was designed to run 3 trains, but only runs 2. So yes, adding a 3rd train would increase capacity.

I think its safe to say that floorless trains would definitely help capacity - stand up restraints are more complicated than the standard sit down restraints which would make it so people could be loaded faster.

^A little informal survey via the live cams shows Mantis dispatching fairly quickly for a stand-up but not fast enough to warrant three trains in 2014. Typically, a train hits the lift as the second hits the final brakes before the station. Running three trains would only result in double stacking behind the station. With floorless trains, they could probably have one on the lift, one in the post-midcourse track and one loading.

IF they decided to change Mantis' trains, I think the cheaper option would be to just go as a sit-down, since I'm pretty sure they would have to redesign the station floor and track in the station since it would need to be wider for all the moving parts.

Does that sound feasible?

If Mantis is changed to a sit-down the station can stay the same besides the changes that CF would want to make. If Mantis is changed to a floorless, I'd like the current station to be taken down to have a bigger station (^), that can have more capacity for train loading / people (if possible), and can fit the new additions specifically for a floorless.

I've been thinking if the next floorless/sitting B&M coaster will feature these new restraints given that they were already applied to inverts. I also wonder if the two dive machines for Europe next year will have them.

So Bryan tweets out to watch a POV of Mantis and then Tony tweets out to watch a POV of Mean Streak.

Now I'm torn on whether it's sitdown/floorless Mantis or RMC Mean Streak. Either one would be great. My guess is that both of those will eventually happen, with one of them coming next year. I also predict that whatever comes next year will also get renamed King James (assuming they're really serious about that).

They're just playing some games. I doubt either of them are going anywhere. It's at that point that you really got to wonder what is going in. We know it'll be a thrill ride judging by what McClure said to the papers. It was stated that the off-season tour will not want to be missed this year. Just so many options.

I bet they showed the two coasters just for giggles. If not, one of them may be the next King James. To be honest, I highly doubt that either of them will be changed. The floorless Mantis has been a pipe dream for years and everyone always swears its going to happen the next season. Same with the RMC Makeover on Mean Streak.

^Does a park really ever "have to" or "need to" do anything though? It's all just enthusiasts "wish lists". The park knows how things are operating and maybe the ridership numbers both pull in are justifiable to NOT do renovations on them. Nothing was ever stated that "it will happen".

Disaster Transport broke down a lot and the building was an eyesore on the beach. It also sat in the exact area they wanted to build a new coaster in. That's why it went. Same with Space Spiral. Not as much of an eyesore and definitely iconic, but it was a maintenance nightmare and its ridership just wasn't justifiable.