TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

floorless coasters and a name change would be great for Mantis. I would have to agree with pretty much everyone else that it is one rough standup.

BTW, I forget what Mantis's original name was set for, but was change to Mantis for some reason if I am not mistaken.

floorless coasters and a name change would be great for Mantis. I would have to agree with pretty much everyone else that it is one rough standup.

BTW, I forget what Mantis's original name was set for, but was change to Mantis for some reason if I am not mistaken.

It was supposed to be Banshee until people got all concerned over the superstition surrounding the name...or something like that.

^ Yup also Steel Forces sign was supposed to be the sign for Mantis when it was called Banshee. (That's why the mounts for the sign are the same at both rides).

Edit: Cepdar Points founding year page!

Edited by 3Mutts

It was Banshee! Back then it had a bad connotation. I guess it doesn't matter now since Kings Island used it...

Currently shacked up at Breakers and will be spending my first day ever at CP tomorrow. Will be at Early Entry to try and get a few rides on MF and Maverick before the park opens. Any other last minute tips I should consider?

Will also be spending all day Weds in the park, and probably getting Fast Lane+ for re-rides depending on how tomorrow goes.

Was Mantis always rough or was it something that came with its age? How was it when it opened?

Mantis was pretty smooth when it first opened - it just didn't age well even though my one ride last Friday wasn't too bad since the first drop brake wasn't being used.

Currently shacked up at Breakers and will be spending my first day ever at CP tomorrow. Will be at Early Entry to try and get a few rides on MF and Maverick before the park opens. Any other last minute tips I should consider?

Will also be spending all day Weds in the park, and probably getting Fast Lane+ for re-rides depending on how tomorrow goes.

Definitely take advantage of the small entrance to the right of the breakers near Wicked Twister and Windseeker. It generally is a Breakers guest-only entrance and will get you in much faster than the other entrance near Magnum, even if that entrance is closer to where you want to get to.

Does anyone know if they're still going to do the Christmas in July promo this year? When I go to the events page, there's no info there at all, but if I pull up a Google cached version of the site from earlier in July, there's a mention of it there.

I'm planning a trip in a couple of weeks, and cheap admission would certainly help offset the cost of a fastlane pass And apparently, I need to get some new friends, as everyone I know is not a fan of rollercoasters (including my wife...and my oldest is only 41" tall, so he's got a little growing to do).

Chris

^^I've noticed that it's smoother when the trim isn't being used also. The ride just seems to run better. Does anyone know why the trim was added in the first place?

I don't they are using the trim brake this season. It's better than the TOGO death machines and the best it's been. But there is a B&M rattle after the MCRB.

^^I've noticed that it's smoother when the trim isn't being used also. The ride just seems to run better. Does anyone know why the trim was added in the first place?

It's been a few summers since I was a host at Mantis, but if I recall correctly it was added to give a bit more "breathing room" in that block to try and help with the inevitable stacking when running three trains. Of course, now it runs just two trains (and is still pretty difficult to avoid stacking on busy days). I think now the trim fires based on speed instead of always on/off, because it usually wouldn't grab on the first trains of the morning.

Again, it's been a while since I ran the ride, so things have blurred a bit.

Can anyone tell me how the unlimited drink special works when you buy the ticket with it? We're ordering those off of the website for tomorrow. (tickets at Meijer are 49.99, but online you can get a ticket for the same price with "unlimited" drinks)

Is is like a wristband? And where all can you get drinks from?

I appreciate any information you guys have about the program!

I love watching the live cams when it rains to see how completely stupid their rain policy is and admire how it changes randomly every day.

Mantis is open and Dragster is closed which are the only things that ever stay consistent. Blue Streak, Mean Streak, Skyhawk (WTF?) and Iron Dragon are closed even though they were all running in the rain a few weeks ago. Maverick and MF are open even though when we were there the ride ops literally had their hands out to see if it was raining and after they felt one drop Maverick closed for over an hour.

The best part is that Raptor transferred a train off and it's open in the rain which is something that never happens but since they just make stuff up I guess why not?

I would love for someone to explain how this policy actually works. I feel like at this point the ride ops at each ride just flip a coin and that determines if the ride is going to close or not.

The best part is that Raptor transferred a train off and it's open in the rain which is something that never happens but since they just make stuff up I guess why not?

That's what happened on my visit last year. It was more of a drizzle, though.

The morning of Coaster Campout it started raining pretty steadily during our ERT on MF and they kept it open. After about 40 minutes of it though they transferred the red train off and were only running the yellow one. It was such a crazy experience in the rain, but it hurt really bad