TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hello King James! I like your new green color scheme!

And this was a while back, but remember that guy that posted on this forum a couple months ago saying that he claimed he knew what was coming to Cedar Point, and that it will involve a change in mantis for the better? He said something like that. But anyway, no one believed him really. It looks like he might end up being right after all.

Hello King James! I like your new green color scheme!

And this was a while back, but remember that guy that posted on this forum a couple months ago saying that he claimed he knew what was coming to Cedar Point, and that it will involve a change in mantis for the better? He said something like that. But anyway, no one believed him really. It looks like he might end up being right after all.

I remember that guy! "MARK... MY... WORDS!!!" He seemed like the kind of guy in a tinfoil hat preaching that the end is near at the time... but let's not forget he also mentioned something happening to Raptor. Soo maybe he's half right for now... but I do believe Raptor has begun to fade just a bit, so maybe a refresh is possible? But I wouldn't get my hopes up because that's just a rumor from MONTHS ago. MARK MY WORDS

I have to admit that sit-down seats might just make Mantis a better coaster, at least through the first part of the ride.

It would be better if they could reprofile the second half though to make the ride layout more enjoyable as I would imagine that those hard banks and corkscrews toward the end of the ride would still be pretty brutal - even with sit-down coaster trains.

^ ^But the OTSR's for the sit-down B&M trains on Bizarro, Scream, etc...aren't much different therefore you would still get the same TKO effect as you would with the stand-up trains.

^ Vest restraints could be nice, but would be something totally new for B&M.

On the whole Halloweekends thing...apparently the staff woke everybody up this morning at the Coaster Campout with Witches & Werewolves at their tents. I wasn't there, (I was unfortunately down the road at Motel 6)...but what a cool wake-up call.

^Wearing those vests feels like you're holding a baby during the ride. I prefer lap bars Every other company is installing lap bars, even Intamin on it's 10 inversion coaster in Italy. It's the way to go. B&M are way behind here.

I agree. I have been waiting for them to do it for a while and I hope they catch up soon.

I'd say this paint is a slam dunk for new Mantis next year. I could see them re-naming it since "Mantis" was a last second name anyway. Like I said earlier, expect to see Gemini Midway esq. treatment coming to this midway. More colorful lights and general improvements. 2016 will be the year of renovations. Anything not up to "Cedar Par" will be brought there.

Something I've been wondering, is it possible that any complications could arise switching Mantis to floorless trains? I mean, I'm no expert on the physics of coaster design, but Mantis was designed for stand-up trains. The track would have been designed for the rider's heartline to be in a different position than it would be with floorless trains; I know similar switches to floorless trains have been done on rides like Sheikra, but I would imagine the heartline difference between stand-up and floorless/sitdown is a lot more significant. I'm guessing that difference is negligible or the switch to floorless wouldn't really be a discussion, but couldn't the forces sustained by the rider throughout the ride be thrown off by just switching the seat orientation and therefore the rider's position relative to the track?

I know they probably take an average height heartline, but does it really matter on a stand up? Everyone is at a different height and has a different heartline on a stand up.

Would anyone here trade Mean Streak for something like Renegade at ValleyFair?

And Cedar Point it!

GCI isn't known for super sizing coasters.

Renegade is my favorite at Valleyfair, it's easily better than Mean Streak.