TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

On Magnum I generally choose row 2 and 3 in the front car and row 1 in the second car. If you get a good ride it is in no way mediocre. If you sit in a good seat and you don't get E-stopped on the Brake run because of slowpokes then its one of if not the best coaster on the planet.(That's my opinion at least)

1-3 (AKA "The Ejector Seat") is worth it at least once. It's painful but the airtime is insane. But besides that, BE SURE to ride in a middle seat since (each car has 3 rows, so ride in the 2nd row; it isn't over a wheel). This will result in a ride that is much smoother than one that's a wheel seat.

New Attraction / Possible Dark Ride - Rumor - (7/18/14) According to this local news report Cedar Point’s Jason McClure briefly mentioned what the park has planned for 2015, saying that it “will be a thrill ride aimed at teens and other hard core thrillsters, rather than a family-oriented ride."

Not sure if this was posted, from Screamscape.

Maybe a more thrilling Wonder Mountain's Guardian.

New Attraction / Possible Dark Ride - Rumor - (7/18/14) According to this local news report Cedar Point’s Jason McClure briefly mentioned what the park has planned for 2015, saying that it “will be a thrill ride aimed at teens and other hard core thrillsters, rather than a family-oriented ride."

Not sure if this was posted, from Screamscape.

Maybe a more thrilling Wonder Mountain's Guardian.

A dark ride in my mind is not thrilling. I could see the stand-up trains from Mantis removed and replaced with floorless trains.

I don't think this Mantis thing has any merit at all. Mantis with floorless trains would likely make a sub-par coaster a mediocre coaster but that's about it. I think a lot of the appeal of the ride is the standing element, maybe not in the enthusiast community but for everyone else.

Plus as much as I dislike the ride it's currently the only coaster in the entire park that's always open when it rains. The other coasters sometimes operate in the rain but the rain policy seems to change by the minute. One day Wicked Twister for example could be open in a light rain but the next day it could be closed under the same conditions. Mantis always runs without regard for wind and rain...2 things that can cripple the park with their current operating procedures.

Hopefully if they were to happen they would design the ride so that it could still run in the rain, though I think the reason it can is probably because of the amount of blocks it has while only running 2 trains (when it's designed for 3).

Edit: When I say "can" run in the rain I mean "does" run in the rain. I know the only reason everything closes in the rain is because Cedar Point decided to change the policy one day as a complete overreaction to an incident that probably wasn't caused by rain anyway.

I don't think this Mantis thing has any merit at all. Mantis with floorless trains would likely make a sub-par coaster a mediocre coaster but that's about it. I think a lot of the appeal of the ride is the standing element, maybe not in the enthusiast community but for everyone else.

Plus as much as I dislike the ride it's currently the only coaster in the entire park that's always open when it rains. The other coasters sometimes operate in the rain but the rain policy seems to change by the minute. One day Wicked Twister for example could be open in a light rain but the next day it could be closed under the same conditions. Mantis always runs without regard for wind and rain...2 things that can cripple the park with their current operating procedures.

Hopefully if they were to happen they would design the ride so that it could still run in the rain, though I think the reason it can is probably because of the amount of blocks it has while only running 2 trains (when it's designed for 3).

Edit: When I say "can" run in the rain I mean "does" run in the rain. I know the only reason everything closes in the rain is because Cedar Point decided to change the policy one day as a complete overreaction to an incident that probably wasn't caused by rain anyway.

In my experience, Wicked Twister usually does run in the rain.

Tonight is CP's Coaster Campout, by the way.

Now for a rant. I hate Wicked Twister. It has tight restraints that made it my first walk of shame. SFDK's V2 and Dorney's Possessed both use much looser restraints. The problem is the belt, or possibly the position of the buckle. Why Twister can't get away with this, I don't know. I see how the faster lateral twisting could be an issue, but the solution to this could be to raise the seat sides like Volcano's-

Volcano-(Credit-RCDB)

Twister-(Credit-http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55609

Yet another thing I never got about Intamin inverts- why the side belts? I'd rather have a crotch belt - they feel safer, especially when you have something like Possessed where you are being held vertically facing down. (In fact, since that picture I posted was taken, hasn't Volcano gotten crotch belts?)

Now for a rant. I hate Wicked Twister. It has tight restraints that made it my first walk of shame. SFDK's V2 and Dorney's Possessed both use much looser restraints. The problem is the belt, or possibly the position of the buckle. Why Twister can't get away with this, I don't know. I see how the faster lateral twisting could be an issue, but the solution to this could be to raise the seat sides like Volcano's-

Volcano-(Credit-RCDB)

Yet another thing I never got about Intamin inverts- why the side belts? I'd rather have a crotch belt - they feel safer, especially when you have something like Possessed where you are being held vertically facing down. (In fact, since that picture I posted was taken, hasn't Volcano gotten crotch belts?)

Yep, Volcano has crotch belts now which are much, much better. While I can fit on Wicked Twister, the belt is definitely taut. Hell, when I first went to CP, I didn't think I could ride Twister because, maddeningly, the test seat doesn't have the second, easier to reach, buckle.

Headed up to CP today and when I pulled up to the parking entrance to give them my platinum pass I got a little note saying that Maverick, Mean Streak, Antique Cars, and Wave Swinger were closing at 8 PM and Mine RIde and Sky Hawk were closing at 10 PM for a special event, which I found out later it was Coaster Camp Out since I saw a few people wearing lanyards for the event during the day.

The last time I was at the park I rode Wicked Twister and it definitely seems to be an upper body issue. I was almost able to buckle the belt by myself but had to have a ride attendant do it for me as I pushed down on the restraint from the top. The same thing happened to me at Drop Tower at Kings island on Tuesday.

On Magnum I generally choose row 2 and 3 in the front car and row 1 in the second car. If you get a good ride it is in no way mediocre. If you sit in a good seat and you don't get E-stopped on the Brake run because of slowpokes then its one of if not the best coaster on the planet.(That's my opinion at least)

How would stopping on the brake run effect the ride? I'm a bit lost here.

Its insanely painful you go slamming into the front of the car if you don't brace yourself. When the ride opened It had plates instead of up-stop wheels which caused it to slow on the return but now its faster and can barely stop. Plus it isn't supposed to have to stop in the first place but sometimes dispatch is slower.

I will try and clear this up as I have a good friend who works at the ride. Magnum has two sets of brakes, the safety brakes and the ready brakes. The safety brakes are the brakes that slow you down directly after the final tunnel. The ready brakes are the ones you stop on right before the station.

Typically, the ride almost never stops on the safety brakes. However, if something is happening on the station (guest doesn't fit, scared child, throw up, etc) that slows dispatch, there will be a train in the station and the ready brakes. If this is the case, the ride will stop on the safety brakes. Since you have a lot of speed and not a lot of time to slow down, you slam into these brakes pretty hard. Its actually pretty painful. These brakes have to be manually released once the train on the ready brakes has moved into the station and the block becomes available. For whatever reason, this procedure (that only takes moments) needs to be logged as downtime with the park. This is why you see Magnum's crew rushing everybody and hustling non-stop.

TLDR:

Safety Brakes: brakes after tunnel. Train only stops there when stacking two trains. Hurts a lot.

Ready Brakes: brakes right before station. Supposed to stop there.