TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So I read that the Good Time Theatre which now where the ice skating show takes place, used to be an Imax theater. Is this true? I have never been in the theatre. Does anybody have picture of it now vs back when it was a Imax theatre? Any memories of it and how did they do the construction from one to another and pictures of the construction? I think it would be interesting to see how they did it. Thanks.

I don't have any photos, but yes, this theater used to be an Imax until 2003. I believe that all they did was remove the screen and turn it into a performance stage.

I remember watching one movie in there about flight (airplanes, space shuttles, etc) and I remember it being pretty cool. Would love to have that back in there now versus the ice skating show, but that show is good for families with little one's.

Also pulled this off their website:

1975: The Cedar Point Cinema with IMAX projection system opened in June. "Man Belongs to the Earth" was shown. The Cinema had a total area of 19,000 square feet. The area was divided into the Cinema Showcase and the Main Theatre. (The Main Theatre housed one of the world's largest indoor motion picture screens -- 66 feet high by 88 feet wide.) 950 guests watched the film in the Main Theatre while guests in the Cinema Showcase were entertained by the zany Showcase performers. The Cedar Point Cinema was converted to the Good Time Theatre in 2002.

As of this moment, there are stories about Cedar Point on the front page of The Detroit News, The Detroit Free Press, The Sandusky Register, WKYC Cleveland, 19 Action News Cleveland, and who knows where else...

...and they haven't even announced which coaster is getting the name change yet!

Brilliant PR move by Cedar Point.

Marketing is a beautiful thing. Hence why I decided to earn a Bachelor Degree in Marketing. Cedar Point's tweet did exactly what they wanted it to do; make all of you talk about Cedar Point on social media and get the park some cheap exposure. Absolutely brilliant idea! Probably for some short period of time a coaster will take on the nickname "King James," but Cedar Point isn't stupid enough to permanently rename and re-theme a ride to feed the ego of a famous athlete.

-Signed a Cleveland Sports Fan

You have a great point! It amazing me how much buzz this has created! The best thing in the world: it was free! I am starting to wish that I go a marketing degree!

There have been numerous negative responses to the entire "King James" name change on the CP Facebook page. I think people are taking it too seriously- they are saying things like "it adds to his ego," and "name it after a soldier." Normally I would agree with them- they should be honoring soldiers over basketball stars. But in this case, I see it as a joke that some GP are taking too seriously. What do you guys think?

Basketball who???

I'm sorry? You mean LeBron James? Not entirely sure what you mean by that...

I guess, I don't know, I don't follow that sport. A bunch of whiny millionaires playing ball indoors. Basketball stars? Just a bunch of nobody people to me.

I follow sports where whiney millionaires play ball outside.

So, to summarize...

* A great basketball player that grew up in Ohio to play for his hometown team (Cleveland) bails on said team (& the fans) by basically saying that he would never be able to win a championship there.

* Fans burn jerseys and practically burn down the city - call him the biggest sell-out and insult to Cleveland ever.

* Said basketball player wins two championships with another team with more surrounding talent.

* Basketball player realizes how bad he dissed his state and his fans, now returns to Cleveland with even less supporting players than when he left, but claims that he wants to win a championship for his hometown.

* Cleveland fans go nuts when they hear of this players return as if nothing ever happened...champagne uncorking, high fives in the streets, horns blaring. "Yes...King James is BACK", they shout!!!!

* Cedar Point now wants to rename a coaster in his honor and make a big PR splash that will hopefully bring more people to a park that is suffering from severe attendance numbers this season due to a power failure, bad weather and a really rotten Detroit economy.

Now what am I forgetting....hmmmm.

that will hopefully bring more people to a park that is suffering from severe attendance numbers this season due to a power failure, bad weather and a really rotten Detroit economy.

Mmm...Delicious conjecture.

Things have a way of evening out. I think their attendance numbers will be just fine come the end of the season.

There have been numerous negative responses to the entire "King James" name change

King James? Isn't that a bible?

---

ARTHUR: I am your king!

WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.

ARTHUR: You don't vote for kings.

WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?

ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, [angels sing] her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!

DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

So, to summarize...

* A great basketball player that grew up in Ohio to play for his hometown team (Cleveland) bails on said team (& the fans) by basically saying that he would never be able to win a championship there.

* Fans burn jerseys and practically burn down the city - call him the biggest sell-out and insult to Cleveland ever.

* Said basketball player wins two championships with another team with more surrounding talent.

* Basketball player realizes how bad he dissed his state and his fans, now returns to Cleveland with even less supporting players than when he left, but claims that he wants to win a championship for his hometown.

* Cleveland fans go nuts when they hear of this players return as if nothing ever happened...champagne uncorking, high fives in the streets, horns blaring. "Yes...King James is BACK", they shout!!!!

* Cedar Point now wants to rename a coaster in his honor and make a big PR splash that will hopefully bring more people to a park that is suffering from severe attendance numbers this season due to a power failure, bad weather and a really rotten Detroit economy.

Now what am I forgetting....hmmmm.

Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm not a b-ball fan, but one man doesn't make a team. He's got a long frustrating time ahead of him.

Not sure if you guys aren't up caught up on the whole Cavs situation, but we have Kyrie Irving an all star, LBJ nuff said, Andrew Wiggins the number one pick, and are in trade talks for Kevin Love, yes we might have to give up Wiggins to get Love but I'm pretty sure a big three of Love, LBJ, and Irving are better than Miami's big three. Younger talent, vs a decaying Dwayne Wade. I'm not saying we're automatic title contenders this year but I think this team is set up better for long term success than Miami's was.

Anyway back to CP talk, I think Mantis is a highly possible candidate because if floorless trains will happen next year along with a possible name change. So my thinking is if Mantis gets "upgraded" next year then they can have the King James for half a season and then move on from it. All the while selling a bunch of King James merchandise in between. I for one will totally buy a King James coaster shirt.

Marketing is a beautiful thing. Hence why I decided to earn a Bachelor Degree in Marketing. Cedar Point's tweet did exactly what they wanted it to do; make all of you talk about Cedar Point on social media and get the park some cheap exposure. Absolutely brilliant idea! Probably for some short period of time a coaster will take on the nickname "King James," but Cedar Point isn't stupid enough to permanently rename and re-theme a ride to feed the ego of a famous athlete.

-Signed a Cleveland Sports Fan

Well, youre right in a way, but the real motivation behind this is to sell a lot of merchandise next season to coincide with the Lebrom hype. I bet not too many people are buying Mantis or Mean Streak shirts right now, but merch with "King James" on it sure will, and if tied to a coaster, that stuff will be a must-have for quite a few people.

^^But, but...it is Cleveland, after all.

And if any city knows about losing even when they have a team with seemingly good talent, it's Cleveland (and Buffalo).

Personally, I would love to see Cleveland or Buffalo bring some type of championship to their cities just because we have suffered for so many years. But the realistic inside me says that it's probably not going to happen when you have bigger cities with more money, more billionaires, more corporations & better economies that are all vying to buy their championships by wooing top talent to their teams.

Although I'm not a huge basketball fan, I guess I can give James credit for coming back and trying again with his team. But what he did on the front end to the fans of Cleveland when it appeared that they had some decent footprints to make a run on the front end, (to me) was inexcusable. I understood why he did it, but I didn't have to like it (and still don't).

Not sure if you guys aren't up caught up on the whole Cavs situation, but we have Kyrie Irving an all star, LBJ nuff said, Andrew Wiggins the number one pick, and are in trade talks for Kevin Love, yes we might have to give up Wiggins to get Love but I'm pretty sure a big three of Love, LBJ, and Irving are better than Miami's big three. Younger talent, vs a decaying Dwayne Wade. I'm not saying we're automatic title contenders this year but I think this team is set up better for long term success than Miami's was.

That core will make the team title contenders right away. The only problem is defense. LBJ was terrible last year, but has shown the ability to lock down players when he wants. Kyrie was also pretty bad, and Love as well. Love is especially bad at help defense. That being said, the T-Wolves had a much better + - ratio with Love on the floor than without.

The team will need growth from their young players to beat the powerhouses in the West, but I think they would instantly be favorites in the East (depending on Chicago). Especially after adding a sharp shooter to come off the bench (Mike Miller anyone?)

... on topic, I can't wait for the August announcements this year.

I can't wait for the Breakers renovation to be done!

There is a short video playing in the lobby that gives a fairly extensive look at the interior of the renovated Breakers.

Items of note:

-Bon Air will indeed be removed for parking and some greenspace.

-The outdoor pool and jacuzzi by the rotunda will be removed to allow for what might be a small event lawn or just more greenspace.

-The rotunda will feature a Starbucks and the return of the Surf Lounge with what appears to be shared seating areas throughout the rotunda.

-The front entrance will feature a two-story entry space with one of the relocated stain glass windows from the current lobby.

-The video includes Tomo and Perkins, so it appears they are staying.

Here are some pics of the sample room:

10390499_10152557656946796_349110552842651673_n.jpg

10527540_10152557656941796_5914087078006916457_n.jpg

10527837_10152557656951796_407524434878244183_n.jpg

10516825_10152557656956796_1283476005350448068_n.jpg

Ah Breakers renovation, how sorely needed is that? Thank goodness. I had heard of CP's planned 3-phase renovation timeline, does anyone have any more information on that as of today? What "phase" is restoring the Breakers? I'm curious as to when I should next plan a trip there, ideally after renovations are complete.

Also please let the rumors of floorless trains on Mantis be true. I'm fairly certain that ride caused permanent damage to my body. Exaggerating, of course, but it was pretty painful for me. Seeing as how I would greatly prefer floorless trains, the ride could still be salvaged for me.

I'm guessing this is what's gonna happen with CP renaming a ride. Next year mantis will receive new Floorless trains next year(Please let at least that part happen). When this happens they naturally will want to change its name so it will be called Cavalier: The King James thrill ride. It will also receive a repaint to match the colors of the team.

^^If this ever comes to fruition, and that is a big IF. Then I'm assuming a ride may receive an alternate name for maybe a month or so, with a temporary banner outside the queue. Do you really expect any park to spend millions on renovations to simply honor a post on a social media site? Let's be reasonable now.

If CP has money like that, we'd have 10 giga launch coasters by now.

Well, they did name and paint the Blue Streak after local sports teams that no one heard and The Cavaliers are a little bigger and I actually like the name Cavalier for a coaster.

Well, Blue Streak is a common phrase meaning anything fast or rapid, so it is fitting (in a sense) and isn't just the name of a team/person.

Well, they did name and paint the Blue Streak after local sports teams that no one heard and The Cavaliers are a little bigger and I actually like the name Cavalier for a coaster.

Ok, yes. And your point is? I highly doubt the motivation behind Blue Streak, and $200k, was to simply use the Blue Streak moniker. Blue Streak was unpainted when it opened btw.

I already said that a rename is more than likely, but a complete overhaul of an attraction is a bit of a stretch. Especially for the reasons already stated.