TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I overheard some rumblings about "New Mantis" while walking behind two ride ops today. Everything was said in such a matter of fact way. I understand that most employees know nothing about future additions but ot sounded like they knew what they were talking about. Take it with a grain of salt, but I think a floorless Mantis could be on the way. Perhaps B&M have given the floorless train a revamp similar to the new invert trains. Perhaps these new floorless trains were designed to also be able to replace stand up trains (see heartline issues). Could be a good way to bring some life back into a rather unpopular ride. Could also see other parks with stand-ups doing something similar.

Besides that I had a wonderful time at the park today. Crowds were fairly light for peak season.

I think this will happen. It would be nice to have RMC take care of Mean Streak at the same time.

How do you guys (and gals) handle double-dates at your home park? Do you steer or give the wheel to your friend(s)? Any general tips? Later this summer I will be repeating a similar experience as my oldest sister will be taking her family to CP during her visit back to Ohio.

As someone who generally goes to CP alone if I'm with someone who either has never been to the park or hasn't been in years I usually let them make the decisions since it's their day and I've been on everything dozens of times. I may give them some tips along the way to help.

Would the new Mantis trains track well is my concern. The stand-up element of Mantis imo is not what makes it hard to ride (I adore Riddler's Revenge it's relatively smooth 16yrs later) it's that Mantis tracks terribly, especially during the later part of the ride. I'm all for new floorless trains if they make the ride smoother (also remove that ridiculous trim on the first drop) otherwise we'll just have a mid-west derivative of Scream!

I overheard some rumblings about "New Mantis" while walking behind two ride ops today. Everything was said in such a matter of fact way. I understand that most employees know nothing about future additions but ot sounded like they knew what they were talking about. Take it with a grain of salt, but I think a floorless Mantis could be on the way. Perhaps B&M have given the floorless train a revamp similar to the new invert trains. Perhaps these new floorless trains were designed to also be able to replace stand up trains (see heartline issues). Could be a good way to bring some life back into a rather unpopular ride. Could also see other parks with stand-ups doing something similar.

Besides that I had a wonderful time at the park today. Crowds were fairly light for peak season.

I've heard that rumor for years, hopefully it finally happens. Next year, visit Cedar Point with the new Mantis and new Mean Streak!

Anyone else think Cedar Point is having a down year attendance wise?

I've heard that rumor for years, hopefully it finally happens. Next year, visit Cedar Point with the new Mantis and new Mean Streak!

Yep. 2nd weekend open and only 15 minute wait times. Bad news there. even for MF and maverick.

This would be considered an "off year" for CP. Even though they revamped Gemini midway, they shouldn't be expecting a huge surge in attendance compared to last year since they're isn't a major headlining attraction this season. Trust me, they aren't losing enough attendance to be of concern.

This would be considered an "off year" for CP. Even though they revamped Gemini midway, they shouldn't be expecting a huge surge in attendance compared to last year since they're isn't a major headlining attraction this season. Trust me, they aren't losing enough attendance to be of concern.

The park has been doing really well over the last few years, I don't think the renovation of the Gemini midway means they were expecting an "off year". With the weather, Dragster being down for a while, and the whole water fiasco - there are certainly some valid excuses as to why attendence has slipped some this year. You're right, I doubt they're is much concern, if any.

You mean Pipe Scream didn't bring in the attendance they wanted?

A Disk'O doesn't do it. The coaster boys don't go there when it's just a bunch of flats. Since CP Is my HOME park, I do go to it often.

I think you're forgetting Cedar Point DOES indeed have a family market. Hence why there are three children areas, multiple family attractions around the park, and CP offers a variety of family packages. If coasters were the only thing that brought guests in ever, every park would be like Magic Mountain. Why would a park waste money with family rides if there was no market for it?

You mean Pipe Scream didn't bring in the attendance they wanted?

A Disk'O doesn't do it. The coaster boys don't go there when it's just a bunch of flats. Since CP Is my HOME park, I do go to it often.

I think you're forgetting Cedar Point DOES indeed have a family market. Hence why there are three children areas, multiple family attractions around the park, and CP offers a variety of family packages. If coasters were the only thing that brought guests in ever, every park would be like Magic Mountain. Why would a park waste money with family rides if there was no market for it?

Unfortunately, I must point out that SFMM does attract kids that are more into thrill rides. They have Ninja, 42" restriction on a fairly awesome ride for kids of that size. Gold Rusher should be lower than 48", but unfortunately SFMM has made the restriction higher than any other SF mine train (I don't know why - California, maybe?) Finally, Revolution could have a 42" height restriction like every other SF Schwarzkopf if the damn OTSRs were removed! Also, SFMM has more kiddie/family coasters. Other Six Flags parks have even more rides with low height restrictions.

Cedar Point should make several of their rides more family-friendly. Blue Streak doesn't need a 48" height restriction. CCMR could do away with their restriction if the restraints were modified. Thunder Canyon probably doesn't need a 46" restriction. Iron Dragon has run for years as a 46" ride (except its first year, when I believe it was 48") before being upped to 48"... while its more intense Six Flags cousin has a 42" height restriction.

I'll going to Cedar Point for a couple of days later this month. I see there are a number of motels close to and farther away from the park. What are the odds I'll be able to find a motel room for a couple of nights within ten miles of the park without a reservation?

Yep. 2nd weekend open and only 15 minute wait times. Bad news there. even for MF and maverick.

Not to be rude, but I'm not really buying this.

As I stated in my previous post, the days leading up to July 4th are typically slow. In the past, it is usually been the weeks between July 4th and Labor Day (as well as Saturdays during any Halloweekends) that have the peak crowds...especially if you go on a nice weekend.

The weather in northern Ohio can be sketchy in the early and late part of the season, so that will usually lead to lighter crowds. The last Saturday evening we were there in mid-June, MF, Maverick & Gatekeeper all had at least a one hour wait. The night before they were all about 15 minutes, but that was a Friday night right around grad night (which is also typically a nice time to visit).

And even if attendance is actually lower, I don't see how the Gemini midway revamp or a one weekend freak water issue (that the park had no control over) would have anything to do with leading to an "off season".

I feel like every few years the Mantis rumor comes up and we go into details on why you can't just swap trains - as the ride is designed based on the rider's heart location - going from standing to sitting position may (and would) change some forces.

As for attendance - the crowds of been more spread out hence why the "feel" of less crowds. Cedar Point has had roughly the same attendance for the past 20+ years (highest attended year was 1994) but back then the park closed around Labor Day. The park has slowly extended operating season and with their Halloween event growing in quality the crowd shifts to the fall. Same attendance numbers & longer seasons means crowds are more spread out. Whereas Saturdays in July used to be the busiest days of the season now it is Saturdays in October (if weather is nice).

So it would appear that Jason McClure gave a little teaser as to what next year's new ride is going to be:

kjhfkifiy.JPG.163367bdb2244a322f7149413552ca03.JPG

Do you think this would rule out the Dark Ride thing? Considering those are made more for families if I understand correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong). And I also don't really think a Dark Ride would be aimed towards "thrillsters" but again, I could be wrong. If I were to take a guess, I'd say its something along the lines of MaXair or SkyHawk. Both pretty awesome, huge thrill rides that offer great views, lots o' airtime, and they look stunning! (Especially when both arms work )

For the love of the Intamin Gods, please do SOMETHING with ma' Mean Streak. It deserves some lovin'

Now I'm going to take this with a grain of salt for now. I hope it's a water-coaster/slide for Soak City. That place could really use some newer attractions.

So it would appear that Jason McClure gave a little teaser as to what next year's new ride is going to be:

[attachment=0]kjhfkifiy.JPG[/attachment]

Do you think this would rule out the Dark Ride thing? Considering those are made more for families if I understand correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong). And I also don't really think a Dark Ride would be aimed towards "thrillsters" but again, I could be wrong. If I were to take a guess, I'd say its something along the lines of MaXair or SkyHawk. Both pretty awesome, huge thrill rides that offer great views, lots o' airtime, and they look stunning! (Especially when both arms work )

Can you give me the link?

What about a HUSS Top Spin?

Yay!!! NO more Mean Streak in 2016. Hopefully. Please do NOT RMC Hybrid this coaster. Just put in an insane RMC woodie. I'm gonna have a marathon riding session next year on Mean Streak.

Can we please put a stop to all these "I heard an employee say" rumor mill things? This is coming from someone who worked at the park, we only get similar rumors that the general public gets. The only insider information you'll ever get is from someone higher up in the chain. So unless the person you talked to was in a suit and manages the park itself, odds are there is little truth to any of these rumors. And I assure you, there are very few entry level employees that get the chance to talk to the higher ups about new additions to the park. Those that do usually know better than to open their mouth about anything they are told.

Well, it could still be that WMG style dark ride. Who remembers that Cedar fair trademark? Rougarou. Aka werewolf. I'd say a scary style fun dark ride where you're shooting werewolves would be teen oriented. It's be like curse of Darkastle but a coaster and you shoot the monsters!

Cedar Point's new ride in 2015 will be thrill ride aimed at teens and other hard core thrillsters, rather than a family-oriented ride, said Jason McClure, the park's general manager.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a new coaster to me. I guess it could be a dark ride. However, the park GM is making it seem like it will be a kick-butt ride, and on the matter of dark rides, Disney and Universal are really the only ones that make truly kick-butt dark rides in my opinion.

Regardless of if their next coaster is coming next year, or later on, it really should be a quality wooden coaster (something from RMC or GCI). If it's an RMC, I think Mean Streak should go to the junkyard and be replaced by a brand new woodie. I don't understand why most enthusiasts are dying for it to be Iron Horsed because the layout looks boring to me: it's seems like just a bunch of slightly-banked turns with only a few opportunities for airtime.

Cedar Point's new ride in 2015 will be thrill ride aimed at teens and other hard core thrillsters, rather than a family-oriented ride, said Jason McClure, the park's general manager.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a new coaster to me. I guess it could be a dark ride. However, the park GM is making it seem like it will be a kick-butt ride, and on the matter of dark rides, Disney and Universal are really the only ones that make truly kick-butt dark rides in my opinion.

Regardless of if their next coaster is coming next year, or later on, it really should be a quality wooden coaster (something from RMC or GCI). If it's an RMC, I think Mean Streak should go to the junkyard and be replaced by a brand new woodie. I don't understand why most enthusiasts are dying for it to be Iron Horsed because the layout looks boring to me: it's seems like just a bunch of slightly-banked turns with only a few opportunities for airtime.

Thing about having those turns undulate up and down in a banked turn with bunny hops. Or a double up on the overbank.