TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I posted this info in my recent TR but I'll post it again here in this thread so more people will see it.

Regarding SlingShot, I was at the park yesterday and it was testing with employees on it. I did find out from a worker that it will be $25 to ride and an optional additional $20 to buy your on ride video. I do think this price is a little steep but I definitely plan on riding it. It looks like a lot of fun, and everyone congregates in front of it. Peoples' reactions are hilarious when they watch the ride launch. Plus its fun watching the reactions of the riders themselves. Great color scheme, great location, and great addition (even though I'm not a big fan of upcharges.)

Also, the building being constructed next to GK for a rumored new haunt is coming along. I know there are some people who don't think this is big enough to house a new haunted house, but the steel framework is now up and I definitely think it's big enough. There's a great view of it from the left side exit on GK, and I got a picture outside of the ride. I do believe this will be for a new haunted house. I just hope that when it's done, it won't look bad in that area and ruin its open, refreshed feel.

1625772298_newbuilding.thumb.jpg.8cb3fac7048276368d0aa469517e5138.jpg

This picture makes it look smaller than it really is, but standing up on GK's exit, it looks about the same size as Eden Musée.

Finally got up to Cedar Point today! We got there around 10 minutes before opening. Awesome day.

Got on Magnum first with no wait. Awesome ride with crazy airtime. The drop in one of the tunnels caught me off guard.

Next was Gemini. No wait. They were only running the red side at the time but the blue side opened up later in the day. Fun ride which was smoother than I expected.

Then we headed to Maverick. 10 min wait. This was my 2nd favorite at the park. It was crazy awesome and more intense than i thought. The launch in the tunnel actually surprised me.

We did Skyhawk next. Swing ride that was just pure fun.

Next was Mantis. This was one of the weirdest rides. It was really fun, but it made my legs tingly and it just gave a weird feeling. No problem with headbanging or anything.

Then we headed to WindSeeker. That was one of the most relaxing ride of the day (minus any of the "mild" rides.) It was really cool.

Then I got on Gatekeeper. That made it my favorite wing rider. I liked it better than X-Flight. It was so cool to be going over the park entrance.

MaXair was next. Man oh man, what a great flat ride! You would be floating in the air then come swinging down at 70 mph with huge g-forces.

Then we got on Blue Streak. For a ride that was 50 years old, it was a pretty good ride with awesome airtime.

Raptor was next. That was an awesome ride. I had no problems with headbanging or roughness. Loved the first loop.

Then Iron Dragon. Really fun little suspended coaster. I enjoyed it.

Finally we ended with Millenium Force. OMG, I have never experienced like that before. It was so awesome I had no clue what was happening. Definitely #1 currently on my top steel coasters.

We were not able to ride Mean Streak, Dragster, Wicked Twister, or Corkscrew due to time constraints. But I will definitely be coming back here soon.

One note about the park, compared to the Six Flags in Gurnee, the dispatch times here for the rides were phenomenal. The staff was doing an excellent job at getting the trains out. At Gatekeeper half of the switchbacks were being used and the wait was posted as 45 minutes. I got on in 10 minutes. A big thanks to all of the awesome staff at the park.

They also over estimate Gatekeepers wait times

My wife and I are planning on visiting CP for the first time sometime during the 2015 season. We are travelling out from California and want to make the most of our visit and we plan on spending two days at the park. I have a general idea of which rides to do first to avoid long lines, but one main question I have is what month to visit. I have heard about instances with wind requiring cedar point to close a few rides unexpectedly. Is there a good month to go to avoid this? Or is it really unpredictable?

It's unpredictable but May and early June seem to be the worst for that.

As far as coasters if the forecast calls for wind ride Raptor and Gatekeeper early if you see them open. This is the opposite strategy of a normal day but they're the first coasters that go down for wind... Skyride and Windseeker are the first rides that close.

If it rains, the policy is horribly inconsistent. Raptor and Dragster will close, Mantis will stay open. Any other coaster is subject to be open or closed with complete disregard for how hard it's raining, the braking system of the ride, the speed of the ride, what the rain policy was 5 minutes prior or anything that a normal person would consider logical.

If it rains, the policy is horribly inconsistent. Raptor and Dragster will close, Mantis will stay open. Any other coaster is subject to be open or closed with complete disregard for how hard it's raining, the braking system of the ride, the speed of the ride, what the rain policy was 5 minutes prior or anything that a normal person would consider logical.

This. Even though I don't pay much attention to rain policy, this is hilarious.

On another note, remember this video? Considering all the hate Gatekeeper gets, I figured that you'll like this video of its often-ignored predecessor. This has been here before, but it's a great video.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

So Cedar Point has officially retired the old webcams and is now just using the live cams. One thing I've noticed that's kind of funny is they do anything possible to avoid showing closed rides.

A little while ago they had the camera on Raptor but the Skyride was showing on the left. The wind picked up and the ride will probably be closed all day give the forecast so they went through the trouble of moving the camera just a tiny bit to the right to hide this. They did the same thing the other day with Dragster. They realized it wasn't running and changed the camera so that it was just out of view on the right. They do this every time a ride is closed even if it's only barely visible.

On another note, remember this video? Considering all the hate Gatekeeper gets, I figured that you'll like this video of its often-ignored predecessor. This has been here before, but it's a great video.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

This video was really cool, never seen it before. Thank you for reposting it!:) I do miss that ride. I hope that we can get another observation tower ride. I know some consider Windseeker one, but I would love to see a true observation tower..maybe a 400' one with a restaurant at the top:)

Space Spiral needed to go but even with the scratchy windows and lack of AC, it was something I had to ride once per visit. Intamin has some beautiful tower rides that would be perfect for Cedar Point.

I'd love for the park to get a new observation tower. I think Giant Wheel's old location would be a perfect spot. There'd be plenty of room for a new one and I think this would be a cool location. I just want SOMETHING to go into this area soon. There's a big empty concrete pad with nothing there. What a major waste of space.

Photo courtesy of TPR member rcoaster10. After discussing this idea, he created this image to show that a new observation tower would easily fit in this area.

875868637_newobservationtower.jpg.af82bf2231a720e5ef8cb27e298ee86b.jpg

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

This video was really cool, never seen it before. Thank you for reposting it!:) I do miss that ride. I hope that we can get another observation tower ride. I know some consider Windseeker one, but I would love to see a true observation tower..maybe a 400' one with a restaurant at the top:)

And while we're at it, lets wind a roller coaster around it!

I'd love for the park to get a new observation tower. I think Giant Wheel's old location would be a perfect spot. There'd be plenty of room for a new one and I think this would be a cool location. I just want SOMETHING to go into this area soon. There's a big empty concrete pad with nothing there. What a major waste of space.

Photo courtesy of TPR member rcoaster10. After discussing this idea, he created this image to show that a new observation tower would easily fit in this area.

[attachment=0]new observation tower.jpg[/attachment]

To a certain extent I miss Space Spiral more so for its impact on the skyline and how it was always that one landmark I looked for when I would head out there. I'd be happy if they installed a new one, especially one with an outdoor deck that you can spend time on like you can on the Eiffel Towers at KI and KD (though I do like Intamin's gyro towers as well).

The old Millennium Force overflow queue area - gosh I remember waiting in that area back in 2000. Maybe they should take a cue from the European parks and install a Peanuts Playground for the kids while their parents are waiting in line for MF. Seems ideal since Planet Snoopy is over by Windseeker and Camp Snoopy is over by Pipe Scream/Gemini.

Windseeker is basically the new age of observation towers. You get great views, mixed in with an element of thrill. Seems a bit redundant to spend money on a ride that does less of the same thing.

^^^True, but considering Windseeker's location and how far back the park goes from it I would think the view would be better if the ride was more centrally located in the park. Plus it seems the beachfront location has a bigger impact on the ride since it can get a bit breezier compared to other areas.

Too bad Power Tower took the most ideal spot even though Dragster is right there.

Sadly I've never ridden a slingshot but is it just me or do the ones with elastic ropes rather than these cables look a bit more "insane"? Has anyone tried both?
Having ridden both types many of times, I personally prefer the cable style. The elastic rope style is BEYOND rough. You get thrown around every where, and it is a very uncomfortable experience. I also feel that the cable style's launch seems more intense. But that's just my opinion.