TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I would never even consider staying at Hotel Breakers just because of their price point in relation to the price points of other hotels in the area but a lot of that has to do with how I visit parks. If you're the type of person that likes to take breaks from the park and hang out by the pool for awhile then Breakers is great. We usually get to the park for Early Entry and don't leave until about 11:00 since we usually get in line for something with a long line right before closing. When we get to the hotel all we do is shower and go to sleep. In the morning we get up, grab a few things from the continental breakfast and go.

Because of that we always stay at Super 8 Milan / Sandusky near the Ohio Turnpike. It's clean, the beds are comfortable and since all we do in the room is sleep we don't need anything more than that... because of how affordable hotels are in the area it's $43 a night (2 adults 1 room) on Kayak. Hotel Breakers is $250 a night for the same room with no lake view and it's not like it's a luxury hotel either. That's over $200 more per night and over the course of a 3 day weekend when we normally go ($129 versus $750... are you kidding me?) A 15 minute drive isn't that big of an inconvenience.

When we go to parks we're always exhausted afterwards. Because of that my only requirement with hotels is that they're clean and that you can get a good night's sleep.

totally agree with everything you wrote. I stayed at the renovated Motel 6 Huron opening weekend for $37 a nite.

If you're the type of person that likes to take breaks from the park and hang out by the pool for awhile then Breakers is great.

Yeah, this. If you're the kind of person who isn't picky and doesn't plan to leave the park once you've arrived, then go for something cheaper on the outskirts. I don't do 13/14 hour theme park visits any more. If you can, more power to you.

My family and I went this past late May/June and we have stayed at Breakers for the last several years. Yeah, its dated, but the location and convenience to the park, at least for us, is worth it. We always take breaks during the day to come back and take a snooze and recharge, so for us, it works.

We did, however, get a sneak peak at the new rooms. There were, at the time, 2 of the rooms on the first floor, right off of the lobby, that were completely renovated as models for the rest of the hotel. While walking past them one afternoon, the door was wide open. We peeked our heads in, not wanting to intrude. As we did this, a construction worker walked by and asked if we wanted to check out the whole room. We said YES! We didn't want to take any pics, as we weren't sure if he was supposed to be letting us in, but we did go in and check them out. They are REALLY, really nice. New carpeting, a/c, wallpaper, furniture. It's great. Really bright and welcoming and completely feels like a room that would be at a beach resort. All white furniture, with nice headboards with a pic of the Giant Wheel at the headboard.

Needless to say, we can't wait to stay in them again next year!

-=CoasterBP

^That does sound more like what you'd expect at CP for a room at such a price. Hopefully they don't hike the prices too much.

As for myself, I decided to book at Breakers Express as I said previously mostly because of the early entry. The room averaged about $95/night for three people excluding tickets. With free parking ($15/day) and early entry, also knowing before hand the rooms will be clean, to me it's worth the extra $50 more than the bargain motels in the area. I could never bring myself to pay over $200/night on site as I'll likely be at the park from early entry to close.

The rooms have already received a new wall long valance and curtains. New paint, toiletries, and A/C. The A/C does not put out like the old ones, the A/C on high is not even equal to the low setting on the old ones. Its digital and goes no lower than 68. I'm glad i always bring a high output fan to circulate the air and to drown out neighbor and hallway noise.

The exterior looks great! Should have looked like this from the very start! Looking forward to the finished product!

image.thumb.jpg.c6edf4e6b1df2be2dea7b83d27339187.jpg

Rendering in the hotel lobby

image.thumb.jpg.32a29131a5333d8459258ec485cfcb99.jpg

Rendering in the hotel lobby

image.thumb.jpg.6ac5d980b99e98f276635cbfc235afdb.jpg

New A/C in the hallway of Breakers East!

^ Kay...just checking!

I assume that you have stayed at Bayshore Estates KOA before?

If so, I'm curious to know how loud the trains are there?

We stayed at the Motel 6 last weekend (being on a limited budget after recent trips, I settled for it despite the fact that I don't care for the room layouts & designs) and there were trains rolling by just about every 15 minutes....all night long!

Even with the a/c & fan blasting, there was no way that you couldn't hear the trains rolling by. Being that there is a road intersection very near the hotel, of course they blew there horns every time one went through.

We really don't like the selection of hotels around CP so we decided to try the campground:)

It was our first time staying there so we didn't know what to expect.

That's good to know about the trains. As soon as I buy my rv, I will most likely be staying there!

Overall we loved it! We both love to camp and this place was really cool! You can choose from a site with an electric box or none and we got the one with electric to charge our phones. They have a cool playground for kids and a pool as well. They had showers and restrooms as well, and each site has a fire ring and a picnic table.

As for the trains, we could hear them, but it was barely there. I think I only noticed them before we went to sleep and when we woke up. (nothing to keep you up at night) Plus the crackling of campfires was nice to sleep to:)

I think we found our place to stay when we go up again! We loved it!

That's good to know about the trains & other amenities, thanks!

Finally checked out All Wheels Extreme. Haven't seen it in previous years so not sure how it compares - but it was a fun little 20 minute show. If you need a break or are looking for something a little different to do it's worth checking out. Here's a few pics from the show...

AWE-01.thumb.jpg.94327d9c40e50f2a8eaff77ae9e77ccb.jpg

AWE-03.thumb.jpg.eb50b14535f5d88d06ea3695b13140f7.jpg

AWE-04.thumb.jpg.e1e393a7db745bbe38ccbb26e437f5be.jpg

AWE-05.thumb.jpg.60954cb95801e9beb9d8bfc426ffed56.jpg

AWE-06.thumb.jpg.5d73fd5c83e0a46bc971ae861dd3b9eb.jpg

AWE-07.thumb.jpg.380cc4d1e94b13b866151eca0aa2c759.jpg

AWE-08.thumb.jpg.fbd64ba4946f90d36603a0ccad8e7d2a.jpg

AWE-09.thumb.jpg.c620a16fb31f275f2901db3f2912b259.jpg

AWE-10.thumb.jpg.b0e293d7b3d0fa3779215c91984c096b.jpg

AWE-11.thumb.jpg.477056487cdb451e11235940dcafdb85.jpg

AWE-12.thumb.jpg.94c49099a4d4236b56c8430862fc2c14.jpg

AWE-13.thumb.jpg.899e50a48779e9f9c54b440f70dfc947.jpg

AWE-14.thumb.jpg.311f5a773de1c2bdf656d9589cf69a19.jpg

AWE-15.thumb.jpg.c0297c1fd9b32c21f39cd8a6230f9a5c.jpg

AWE-1.thumb.jpg.b6b9f3c3b5f6460dc3fa091d33f42b83.jpg

I'm heading to Cedar Point for the first time tomorrow. How will the lines be on a Friday? And we were looking to park in the parking lot near Gemini. Is it worth it? Finally, I'm a little hesitant to ride Mantis due too all of the hate it gets. Should I not worry about it? Is it a good ride?

Thank you to whoever answers.

How will the lines be on a Friday? And we were looking to park in the parking lot near Gemini. Is it worth it? Finally, I'm a little hesitant to ride Mantis due too all of the hate it gets. Should I not worry about it? Is it a good ride?

1. Busy, but nothing too awful. 60-75 minutes at most I would think.

2. If you're talking about the parking lot:

image.thumb.jpg.1aebf212361b8ea96a60305a66cb5002.jpg

Then hell yes it is. Very close to the Magnum/Resort entrance and many people mistake it as employee parking, so it isn't always full. However, you won't get the "magical" feeling that the Main Entrance gives to some people with Gatekeeper towering over.

3. Ride it anyways if the line is 20 min or less. Get the credit and move on if you think you'll hate it. For me, it is not, but some people like Standups.

Finally, I'm a little hesitant to ride Mantis due too all of the hate it gets. Should I not worry about it? Is it a good ride?

Mantis isn't TERRIBLE (Mean Streak is terrible) it's actually kinda fun in a "I can't believe how rough this thing actually is" kind of way. You should definitely ride it all things considered.

I'm heading to Cedar Point for the first time tomorrow. How will the lines be on a Friday? And we were looking to park in the parking lot near Gemini. Is it worth it? Finally, I'm a little hesitant to ride Mantis due too all of the hate it gets. Should I not worry about it? Is it a good ride?

Thank you to whoever answers.

Mantis is has an EXTERMELY SLIGHT rattle after the MCBR, but it's a good ride. Mean Streak is running very smooth this season, but it's kinda is dozer. High hills and that's it. CP is my home park and enjoy it. You'll love it. Get a Fast Lane since it's a rare trip for you. I would do the park in this order:

Maverick

Millenmum Force

Dragester

Power Tower

Gemini

Magnum

Mean Streak

Raptor

maXair

Wicked Twister

WindSeeker

Iron Dragon

Mantis

Blue Streak

Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Skyhawk

GateKeeper

If you have time... ride Pipe Scream and Lake Erie Eagles. I know I sound stupid, but those are EXCLLENT rides for EVERYONE. After riding these, I have now a respect for Disk'Os and Flying Scooters.

After that, repeat of rides (probably not since it's a Friday.)

At the end of you day, watch Lumonsity. Excellent show and it has fireworks.

Finally got up to Cedar Point today! We got there around 10 minutes before opening. Awesome day.

Got on Magnum first with no wait. Awesome ride with crazy airtime. The drop in one of the tunnels caught me off guard.

Next was Gemini. No wait. They were only running the red side at the time but the blue side opened up later in the day. Fun ride which was smoother than I expected.

Then we headed to Maverick. 10 min wait. This was my 2nd favorite at the park. It was crazy awesome and more intense than i thought. The launch in the tunnel actually surprised me.

We did Skyhawk next. Swing ride that was just pure fun.

Next was Mantis. This was one of the weirdest rides. It was really fun, but it made my legs tingly and it just gave a weird feeling. No problem with headbanging or anything.

Then we headed to WindSeeker. That was one of the most relaxing ride of the day (minus any of the "mild" rides.) It was really cool.

Then I got on Gatekeeper. That made it my favorite wing rider. I liked it better than X-Flight. It was so cool to be going over the park entrance.

MaXair was next. Man oh man, what a great flat ride! You would be floating in the air then come swinging down at 70 mph with huge g-forces.

Then we got on Blue Streak. For a ride that was 50 years old, it was a pretty good ride with awesome airtime.

Raptor was next. That was an awesome ride. I had no problems with headbanging or roughness. Loved the first loop.

Then Iron Dragon. Really fun little suspended coaster. I enjoyed it.

Finally we ended with Millenium Force. OMG, I have never experienced like that before. It was so awesome I had no clue what was happening. Definitely #1 currently on my top steel coasters.

We were not able to ride Mean Streak, Dragster, Wicked Twister, or Corkscrew due to time constraints. But I will definitely be coming back here soon.

One note about the park, compared to the Six Flags in Gurnee, the dispatch times here for the rides were phenomenal. The staff was doing an excellent job at getting the trains out. At Gatekeeper half of the switchbacks were being used and the wait was posted as 45 minutes. I got on in 10 minutes. A big thanks to all of the awesome staff at the park.

I'll be visiting Cedar Point on July 21, 22, and 23 (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday). Anyone have a wild guess for the crowds? How are Mondays? And we'll be getting FastLane Plus one of the days, normal FastLane the other day, and the last day we're going as "peasants".

Sounds like you had a great time! Not sure how you missed Wicked Twister as it rarely has much of a wait.

Dragster is one of the big 3. You need to ride that beast!!

Thrillseeker - you have three days mid week, even in July you'll get plenty of rides in, especially with Fast Lane.

Now that there is an upcharge atttaction inside the regular park, does anyone think we might see challenge park disolved entirely? That would open up space for a new addition for the park or soak city. I could see soak city growing into where challenge park is. Couldnt be too difficult to find a new home for ripcord and skyscrapper. Get rid of go karts and you free up some locked up space. Doesnt seam to crazy with a lot of parks focusing on waterparks recently.

Now that there is an upcharge atttaction inside the regular park, does anyone think we might see challenge park disolved entirely? That would open up space for a new addition for the park or soak city. I could see soak city growing into where challenge park is. Couldnt be too difficult to find a new home for ripcord and skyscrapper. Get rid of go karts and you free up some locked up space. Doesnt seam to crazy with a lot of parks focusing on waterparks recently.

My friend just suggested that yesterday - remove RipCord, karts, and Skyscraper and relocate RipCord and Scyscraper elsewhere in the park. RipCord would be kinda hard to relocate, but could it potentially be put on a pier or something on the beach?

Sounds like you had a great time! Not sure how you missed Wicked Twister as it rarely has much of a wait.

Wicked Twister was posted as an hour wait, plus we were just on a tight schedule. But thanks!

Maverick ten minutes, Wicked Twister an hour...