TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Until the Ohio kids go back to school later in the month, expect just about every day to be crowded in early August.

Granted, it won't be quite as bad as a Saturday, but lines for the big coasters (TTD, Maverick, MF, etc) will most likely extend to 1-2+ hours. Unless the weather is bad, but then it won't matter because none of the coasters will be running anyway!

My tip (especially if you have never been and/or have limited time) - start saving up for the FastLane Plus now as it will be money well spent despite the high price tag.

^ Fast passes are a good way to go, but you can get away without one if you get there for opening and ride in this order:

- Gatekeeper

- Wicked Twister

- Magnum XL

- Gemini

- Maverick

- Mean Streak

- Cedar Creek Mine Ride

- Millennium Force

- Mantis

- Blue Streak

- Raptor

- Corkscrew

- Top Thrill (highly recommend you end the day with this)

I've done this order on summer Saturdays and have been finished by dinner time.

^Until the Ohio kids go back to school later in the month, expect just about every day to be crowded in early August.

Granted, it won't be quite as bad as a Saturday, but lines for the big coasters (TTD, Maverick, MF, etc) will most likely extend to 1-2+ hours. Unless the weather is bad, but then it won't matter because none of the coasters will be running anyway!

My tip (especially if you have never been and/or have limited time) - start saving up for the FastLane Plus now as it will be money well spent despite the high price tag.

There is still at least two months before kids go back to school in Ohio!

Green lantern is the only B&M stand up that I have ridden and i'll tell you this much, it's a lot Better than the Togo versions!

I prefer the Togo stand-ups. I think they provide a wilder ride (including moments when your feet leave the floor!) I also think Togo's trains help enhance the feeling that you're standing up. Togo stand-ups regularly make me think, "I might die on this ride" and I love that moment of fear.

B&M stand-ups never provide those death-cheating thoughts because they are so controlled. Those trains surround you with so much thick padding that it almost feels like you're not standing at all.

Windseeker is currently stuck in the middle. How often does this happen with the CP one?

This is why I refuse to ride any of these, the thought of being stuck up high in a chair just doesn't sit well with me lol

Plus they are pretty boring. Star Flyers are 1000x better (Unless they are backwards) Polls don't lie http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66658&hilit

^Especially when then you think: all the great coasters I could be riding but I'm stuck here instead...

But when it gets stuck with people on it, usually you get a nice "front of the line pass"

There is still at least two months before kids go back to school in Ohio!

I think that you may have misunderstood my post. The original poster asked about crowds in early August so I told him that until the kids go back to school later in the month that crowds would be high. I should have worded it, "until the kids go back to school later THAT month."

Onto another topic...we decided on a whim to drive out to Sandusky this weekend for a quick getaway. Actually, we went golfing at a nearby course yesterday so we only spent about four total hours at the park between Friday and Saturday night. We were going to go back today as Father's Day is usually quite dead, but we decided to head for home as I have to work in the morning.

We did get to check out the new, recently opened Trail Tavern - here is a little PTR for you folks...

001.JPG.1336cf46756fa59ab086d1e223fb44e9.JPG

Here it is in all of it's glory...The Trail Tavern!

FINALLY a place where you can get good beer other than TGIFriday's or Famous Daves!

002.JPG.9604bb32d6bc75b89f0e9a51c448bf0e.JPG

The inside is quite nice...the gal at the bar said that this was a candle shop last year. I seem to recall that this was the place where the older gent did the woodcarving, but perhaps I am wrong?

003.JPG.5c170f02ea964c106500a398ff52d497.JPG

Love the wine bottle chandelier!

004.JPG.69bf539d3b76054a4788758d7748a10e.JPG

Here is the beer and wine list in all it's glory. There is no draft beer that I am aware of...only craft bottles. And yes it's expensive, but please remember that you are in a theme park!

005.JPG.6295cffbf0d37bf12c026a97f52f9ec6.JPG

The bar area was quite nice and the two bartenders were awesome..your typical very friendly CP employees!

I noticed the cheese/cracker and fruit plates, but did not see a menu. I assume that you can purchase these to go with your beer and wine sampling - very nice touch!

006.JPG.e31d0b99a545c05086ba92646ce9a87b.JPG

Love this chandelier too!

007.JPG.a46a96a630fe7182aa1f9d2b905300db.JPG

Here is my first official beer at the Tavern - a Great Lakes Commodore Perry (a medium bodied IPA). I loved the comfy seats that also rocked...it made for a very relaxing place to just chill out and people watch.

008.JPG.8cde3c4bb3a010c09df8f9aff8689756.JPG

Michael tried the Kona Brewing Company's: Big Wave Golden Ale. This one was a bit too funky for our tastes though. I compared it to apple wood chips that I would put in a meat smoker.

009.JPG.5c8eb33dade0c535404d21e9a6b61ae0.JPG

Look up and you have a great view of MF's lift hill. Would love if they could put a patio out back as you would be looking right at the first drop - maybe someday.

012.JPG.9309e55f375be7502e703b1f3b2dfa38.JPG

Here are some of the new animals at the petting zoo. I assume that these are young alpaca?

013.JPG.07f2cff5b22730b2cd194b35a44fd208.JPG

Maverick was running great as always.

014.JPG.2403ddedf41264401779b19347793de4.JPG

Artsy shot after the water cannons went off.

015.JPG.f3242e5edf838ed8f216808d483285c1.JPG

White Water Landing logo almost a distant memory now.

017.JPG.a09bcbb911b9cce7dd21afe6a83d8c41.JPG

I about crapped when we walked in and saw that this was the line for Maverick...about 15 minutes and we were riding! Very unusual for a Friday night at CP, but this is grad weekend for a lot of kids as well as Father's Day weekend and we have encountered this before.

019.JPG.3d54881804ea0117b56353e1689f36fd.JPG

Hold on for this element! ;-)

020.JPG.ecb01beecbc4073f914ea4ebcf5c14bd.JPG

Wish there were about five more elements like this on this ride.

021.JPG.43d299688264984340fa0e067d82171a.JPG

Mean Streak - so elegant and beautiful, but yet so jolting and uninspiring.

022.JPG.53f2c390bcb4a23b1c89edc0006ccdfb.JPG

So glad that they finally got the lights on MF working again.

023.JPG.dcbd4daea1360592199ab76c1b89a631.JPG

Unfortunately, this was far as we would come to riding MF on this trip as it broke down right after I took this photo.

024.JPG.724bb7f63a55276457ce0b6d7d0cd52d.JPG

Gatekeeper bids you a good Friday night.

043.JPG.610c99112ce2d56a2917b0440cc51d14.JPG

Looks like the station for SlingShot is done, but they haven't really made any progress on the tower since we were there about one month ago.

045.JPG.80c42e9cf00982c8e07ff8fd49cf0854.JPG

Evening two and we went with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and a Fireman's Winery Riesling.

046.JPG.dffb19931f0917eba64d1b27d853c049.JPG

This was over by MF. It was just closing, but looked like a food truck that also served draft beer. Couldn't catch a menu, but I'm sure that someone must know what they serve? I LOVE the idea of food trucks around the park, so hope we see more of these in the future!

Thanks for viewing!

Got a new wide angle lens and got trigger happy at the park this weekend - covered all over the park inside and out - wanted to capture some non-coaster parts of the park (don't worry there's still plenty of coaster shots!) Here's a few for you - and a BUNCH more HERE!.

IMG_2708.thumb.jpg.afff94159697dbd0c1b46f5e169e0e7b.jpg

Checked out the Bluegrass Jamboree on the Frontier Trial

IMG_2750.thumb.jpg.46fa8e6580fff6ae10424c4a24567053.jpg

Stopped inside the Glass Shop

IMG_2847.thumb.jpg.87837e22fde3d0fb30f82f3899c8cc50.jpg

Saw coasters get eaten by dinosaurs!

IMG_2912.thumb.jpg.82430e4ceb40686946c5d2213d71d202.jpg

Took some night shots.

IMG_2962.thumb.jpg.13ae73ab3ee534849eb505325817e3b7.jpg

Checked out what was going on inside

IMG_2988.thumb.jpg.6d7bbd5e6d35b91dc8402fb552a34f86.jpg

Found Linus at the carousel.

IMG_3089.thumb.jpg.ab3a8b19ed73c67002ae2ce1310e3967.jpg

Took a walk back to Magnum's pretzel loop.

IMG_3230.thumb.jpg.7c6e21f85ecd2002bd1ce5ad7e18c6a6.jpg

Checked out what was happening inside Lusty Lil's

The inside is quite nice...the gal at the bar said that this was a candle shop last year. I seem to recall that this was the place where the older gent did the woodcarving, but perhaps I am wrong?

On Google Street View from 2011, it's called "Frontier Heart & Home." On a picture I took last year, it's called "Toy Barn." I didn't go inside though so I don't know what was in there. I think I recall the candle shop being a little further back (northwest) on the trail.

Unfortunately, this was far as we would come to riding MF on this trip as it broke down right after I took this photo.

I saw you guys leave the line for Millenium Force that night. Super unfortunate that you chose to leave the line, as it reopened after about five minutes

Just reading up after my vacation and think its outrageous it took so long for the water main to be fixed. I remember some water main burst in my homecity of Hamburg - which can happen - but Hamburg Water always had them fixed an running again after at most half a day. I hope CP sues whoever is running that line for all its lost profits . Needing days to fix a water main speaks of sheer incompetence of the operator and its ability to solve a crisis.

But lucky for me as this has happened now I guess its rather unlikely it will happen next year when I plan to stay at Hotel Breakers.

Just reading up after my vacation and think its outrageous it took so long for the water main to be fixed. I remember some water main burst in my homecity of Hamburg - which can happen - but Hamburg Water always had them fixed an running again after at most half a day. I hope CP sues whoever is running that line for all its lost profits . Needing days to fix a water main speaks of sheer incompetence of the operator and its ability to solve a crisis.

But lucky for me as this has happened now I guess its rather unlikely it will happen next year when I plan to stay at Hotel Breakers.

Welcome to America, land of bureaucratic red tape & crumbling infrastructure.

Im at the park today and magnum's last car on one train is torn down to bare bones on the transfers. Anybody know whats going on?

Maintenance? Is the ride still operating? If so it's probably routine maintenance or something came up which requires attention specifically to that train. If it's torn apart they're working on it most likely. Sometimes it can be an absolute pain to get to a tiny part underneath all of the exterior plastic and seating and what not. It's like trying to get that one bolt undone on your car that's just in the most impossible spot. If it's hasn't been stripped off of the track it'll probably be operational soon.

This is probably just speculation or routine maintenance, but there are a few markings near the front of the park.

I was with Cedar Point News when he took this picture, so I can confirm that there are many markings like this in that area. They are all around the Point Pavilion, Raptor's exit, and the area near Raptor's photo booth and restrooms. They seem pretty frequent and spread out for just typical maintenance, but I guess only time will tell if these markings turn out to be something more.