TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I think I'm going to do a full write up of the Coastermania event tomorrow, but for now, enjoy some pictures. I'm not a very good photographer but I found a few pictures that turned out okay!

14184670279_abc94c6362_c.jpg

14391484973_fca66f51e1_c.jpg

14369823382_7e582f7a1a_c.jpg

The rest can be found here.

Never seen a photo of Maverick taken from that angle, awesome

Well, this is quite a waste of my weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday lost while I'm here in town. It could've been worse if this happened yesterday before Coastermania. I do find it AMAZING that they're closed for 2 days.

These days, nothing Cedar Point / Cedar Fair does surprises me.

The park really has no choice. At the loss of revenues, this is absolutely last thing the park wants to do. Partly due to the economic recession, many municipalities lack the money to adequately update their aging infrastructure. This is an example of that.

Of course, it is possible that the sudden surge of restroom use by Coastermania attending ACErs after the lunch buffet really strained Sandusky's capacity to supply water causing a definite water main breakage.

Obviously you tried to get in one of the restrooms after lunch. Huh? Words cannot describe the bathroom frenzy after lunch.

Finally got a DSLR and have been out to the park a handful of times - thought I'd share some of my photo's - you can see more here!

Also - this is for my own enjoyment - these pics are from snapshots, to artsy, to everywhere in between - most of these are uncropped and untouched - I welcome any helpful tips but not looking for a critique - thanks again and enjoy!

IMG_0688.thumb.jpg.ee4bf4638c66e28ac43cad8f96187141.jpg

IMG_0778.thumb.jpg.261c94e8ae52e3463c7a74e1b309b1b4.jpg

IMG_0937.thumb.jpg.af669fa5e215ec2cfec65b3e35a42cb9.jpg

IMG_0965.thumb.jpg.a79b51446ac59dcd02b9ddc10347c805.jpg

Edited by Jantzen73

From the park's Facebook page:

We're happy to announce that Cedar Point will reopen on Monday, June 9!

To celebrate, we're offering a special ticket deal that will save you money on a visit to Cedar Point this week that includes Soak City for FREE! The water's on - come back out and play!

For all the details and to purchase, please click the link.

Park Update-Cedar Point

I have a couple things to say about the coaster mania event and some harsh words to some enthusiasts.

First I would like to thank Cedar Point for a truly wonderful FREE coaster event. Thank you for the free box of swag this could not have been cheap even with the quantities you purchased. Two free shirts one screen printed tee and a embroidered sweatshirt with a zipper, not to mention a printed pint glass, printed glasses holders, and sunglasses all in a custom printed box. A meal with ribs, hot dogs & brats, muscles , and shrimp. On top of that 4 hours of ERT with extra ERT on Millennium Force because dragster was broke. On top of that a very fairly run water challenge that gave everyone that participated an equal opportunity to win one of 10 platinum passes for the 2015 season. All of this for no additional cost out of pocket other than coaster club membership and the platinum pass which I already had.

What I was disappointed in were the actions of a number of enthusiasts and their feeling of entitlement. Parks don't have to do things for us, they choose to. In most cases events like this cost extra. The fact that the event is free is why there are so many attendees and maybe they should have started the morning out with all three trains on MF but who cares if you had to wait 5 or 10 minutes to ride instead of 45 to 60. Bitching about it online comes off as ungrateful. If you have a suggestion I guarantee that if you went to the organizers with a hey I have an idea instead of bashing them online it might get your further. Also as far as the people with attitude toward the operators, where do I even start. First I imagine ALL coaster clubs have a Code of Conduct, I know ClubTPR and ACE both do. Being mean to a ride operator for running a ride according to park rules is a violation of that code of conduct as well as park rules and in my opinion grounds for ejection from the park and in theory the club. It just reflects badly on the club and in the long run all clubs. Keep in mind another event recently made you sign a code of conduct statement that even told you that some things are so incredibly unsafe that they need not be posted. Just keep in mind these are perks that the parks like to give us, we are not "entitled" to them so I will just say cut the crap guys especially if you want these events to continue. Don't think they are making tons of money on these events, keep in mind it's marketing money and don't give them an excuse to put those funds elsewhere.

Finally, I have gotten in the habit of at least sending the parks an email thanking them for hosting an event. I personally feel it's that one step beyond posting online which is somewhat personal. Just a suggestion.

Hey Guys! I'm currently in Ohio for business for a few weeks, and I'm thinking of making a trip up to the point next Sunday the 15th, Father's Day. I hope to get there as soon as the park opens and hit as many rides as I can until about 3-4pm. While it is a weekend, and do expect big crowds, do ya'll think it'll be any less crowded earlier on because of Father's Day? I'm going with my co-worker and she's never been before...any advice on which rides to hit first?

Apologize if these are repetitive questions. Haven't been following this thread super closely. Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, even with just two trains running on Millie during 7:30-9:00 AM ERT, I think the crew still was almost hitting interval...probably due to the fact that we are enthusiasts and so none of us were unfamiliar with how to quickly board MF...

I for one am grateful that Cedar Point does this every year. After all, they don't HAVE to do anything for us, but they do anyway... The MF crew worked their butts off for approximately 17 hours straight all so we could have a third coaster to play with during nighttime ERT...

At around 10:25 this morning, I used the bathroom in Hotel Breakers and flushed. Then the water main broke. Coincidence?

I'm pretty sure the water main broke a lot earlier than around 10:25 AM. The reason your toilet flushed is because it already had stored water in its resevoir. Everyone could flush their toilet once, but it would not be filled up back up after that

I am guessing they had the mid course breaks and any kind of trims turned off for the evening run of millennium force. If you paid attention they wouldn't let the next train go until the previous train was back to the final break run. Plus there was no perceived slow down at mid course break run.

Also if you did not ride Mean Streak you missed a truly awesome retracking job. I rode it for the water challenge in the back and loved it. Even rode in the evening on purpose. It has went from my I hate this do I have to ride list to my must ride list.

Hey Guys! I'm currently in Ohio for business for a few weeks, and I'm thinking of making a trip up to the point next Sunday the 15th, Father's Day. I hope to get there as soon as the park opens and hit as many rides as I can until about 3-4pm. While it is a weekend, and do expect big crowds, do ya'll think it'll be any less crowded earlier on because of Father's Day? I'm going with my co-worker and she's never been before...any advice on which rides to hit first?

Apologize if these are repetitive questions. Haven't been following this thread super closely. Thanks!

In the past Father's Day was always a good day to visit, the crowds are usually not too bad. It has also been the unofficial Gay Day at CP as well and you will see a lot of guests wearing red as is tradition. If the weather cooperates (nothing operates in the rain) it is a great day to visit the park. I think you will probably be able to ride most of the coasters, with the exception of MF, TTD, GK, and Maverick, with minimal wait times.

A lot depends on what you want to get done that day - if getting most / all big credits is on your agenda then you pretty much have to splurge for Fast Lane Plus. Trust me if the sun is shining it will be crowded. It is also the unofficial Gay Day that day I believe - not sure how this effects crowds.

Also, hotel guests and Platinum Pass holders get early entry at 9 AM - Where rides like MF, Maverick, GateKeeper and Iron Dragon are running. So even if you get in the park at opening there will already be a crowd in there. Assuming you don't have a Platinum Pass you could stay at Breakers Express (which is relatively cheap) so that you could get discount tickets and early entry. You mentioned you are going with a co-woker so this probably won't work for you. If you don't have early entry then you should enter the park through Magnum entrance - just say you are going to Soak City when you enter the parking booth then you can park back there - you can get a jump on the crowd from the front and can get in TTD then Maverick pretty quick (if TTD is running yet). You can sneak out the front entrance later in the day to see how nice the new entrance is and take the obligatory pics.

Wait times for MF, TTD and Maverick will most likely be over the 1 hour mark all day - probably longer if it is a gorgeous day. Also TTD has been down with no ETA for when it will be up again. GateKeeper is a people eater - and usually you can get on in under 15 mins later in the day as the crowd moves back into the park. Same w. Raptor.

If you just want to check out the park, ride a few rides, etc. then a lot of the lesser coasters are 15 min or less waits - can be 30 mins if there are bigger crowds. The other unknown factor is the fact that the park was closed this weekend due to the water main break - so a lot of folks may return for their make-up trip.

Now Sunday evenings tend to be lighter - so if you could somehow stay later the crowds usually start to thin on Sunday nights.

Again, I'd need to know what your agenda is and can help you from there. Will you be able to make another trip out before leaving Ohio? Going on a 2nd Sunday you could maybe get in what you missed...

I almost forgot - Saturday and Sunday morning's are Millennium Force walk back. Each person must have a current coaster club card - and a photo ID to match the name on the card - you must be at the Marina entrance by 8:50AM - after that you are free to do the other early entry rides! Also it's a good time to wait for a front seat ride on MF as it's usually only a few train wait. You would need to park at the front gate lot - towards the left. Then walk around Blue Streak following the blue pathway outside the park and you will come to the Marina entrance. If you and your co-workers are TPR or another club member this would be your best option - whether you go for Fast Lane or not.

Sorry - remembered yet another tip that can help you - assuming Fast Lane is not an option. Spend $20 each and play the GateKeeper Plinko game (trust me don't do the MF or Maverick one's - as they are too "bouncy" - the Gatekeeper pegs are much softer and the chips go down straighter). Every time I've played this year - 5 tries for $10 - I have won at least 2 sets of "line skippies" which gets you front of line access to the big 4 (for a pair of riders) This is even better than Fast Lane Plus - you go in through the exit and get to ride pretty much right away - just can't wait for front seat on some rides.

Finally, follow @TonyClarkCP on twitter as he will do a tweetup most likely where you can win things like Fast Lane Plus / line skippies / commemorative coins / free french fries and other cool stuff.

Edited by Jantzen73

I am guessing they had the mid course breaks and any kind of trims turned off for the evening run of millennium force. If you paid attention they wouldn't let the next train go until the previous train was back to the final break run. Plus there was no perceived slow down at mid course break run.

Also if you did not ride Mean Streak you missed a truly awesome retracking job. I rode it for the water challenge in the back and loved it. Even rode in the evening on purpose. It has went from my I hate this do I have to ride list to my must ride list.

Millennium Force and most (if not all) Intamin hypers don't have a mid-course brake. The train loading cannot drop off the lift until the previous train clears the final brakes.

Glad you enjoyed Mean Streak! It's certainly not the best wooden coaster out there, but it's not nearly as bad as many enthusiasts claim it is.

Hey everyone- in the next few days I'll be booking my second ever trip to the Point, I'll be staying overnight on Sunday, August 10 and will be at the park on Monday. Unfortunately, we will be leaving around 4 to 5 in the afternoon to head back home to Virginia. It'll be three of us, and we're looking to be as economical as possible and get as many rides in as possible. There's also a chance I will do starlight the day before, on Sunday. If you can answer any of my questions, please do, I appreciate any help as I'm not sure when the next time I get out to the park will be, if ever. On to the questions...

Planning on staying Sunday night at Breakers Express, and with the AAA discount, it looks like the one day ticket package for three is about $220. Is this the best deal I can get, as I definitely want the early entry?

Do I have to order the starlight online now, or can I wait until check in the day of and still get the discount ($25)?

I used regular Fast Lane last year, but now that Maverick is only on FL+, I might splurge for that. Firstly, is FL+ a necessity for a Monday in August given I want multiple re-rides? Also, can I buy it the day of or day before for the same price ($95)?

What crowds can I expect for both days- Sunday night (5-10 pm) and Monday? Last year I went Saturday, July 4th weekend. Big mistake.

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

A lot depends on what you want to get done that day - if getting most / all big credits is on your agenda then you pretty much have to splurge for Fast Lane Plus. Trust me if the sun is shining it will be crowded. It is also the unofficial Gay Day that day I believe - not sure how this effects crowds.

Also, hotel guests and Platinum Pass holders get early entry at 9 AM - Where rides like MF, Maverick, GateKeeper and Iron Dragon are running. So even if you get in the park at opening there will already be a crowd in there. Assuming you don't have a Platinum Pass you could stay at Breakers Express (which is relatively cheap) so that you could get discount tickets and early entry. You mentioned you are going with a co-woker so this probably won't work for you. Either way I like hitting the park through Magnum entrance - just say you are going to Soak City when you enter the parking booth then you can park back there - you can get a jump on the crowd from the front and could get in TTD then Maverick pretty quick (if TTD is running yet). You can sneak out the front entrance later in the day to see how nice the new entrance is and take the obligatory pics.

Wait times for MF, TTD and Maverick will most likely be over the 1 hour mark all day - probably longer if it is a gorgeous day. Also TTD has been down with no ETA for when it will be up again. GateKeeper is a people eater - and usually you can get on in under 15 mins later in the day as the crowd moves back into the park. Same w. Raptor.

If you just want to check out the park, ride a few rides, etc. then a lot of the lesser coasters are 15 min or less waits - can be 30 mins if there are bigger crowds. The other unknown factor is the fact that the park was closed this weekend due to the water main break - so a lot of folks may return for their make-up trip.

Now Sunday evenings tend to be lighter - so if you could somehow stay later the crowds usually start to thin on Sunday nights.

Again, I'd need to know what your agenda is and can help you from there. Will you be able to make another trip out before leaving Ohio? Going on a 2nd Sunday you could maybe get in what you missed...

I almost forgot - Saturday and Sunday morning's are Millennium Force walk back. Each person must have a current coaster club card - and a photo ID to match the name on the card - you must be at the Marina entrance by 8:50AM - after that you are free to do the other early entry rides! Also it's a good time to wait for a front seat ride on MF as it's usually only a few train wait. You would need to park at the front gate lot - towards the left. Then walk around Blue Streak following the blue pathway outside the park and you will come to the Marina entrance. If you and your co-workers are TPR or another club member this would be your best option - whether you go for Fast Lane or not.

Sorry - remembered yet another tip that can help you - assuming Fast Lane is not an option. Spend $20 each and play the GateKeeper Plinko game (trust me don't do the MF or Maverick one's - as they are too "bouncy" - the Gatekeeper pegs are much softer and the chips go down straighter). Every time I've played this year - 5 tries for $10 - I have won at least 2 sets of "line skippies" which gets you front of line access to the big 4 (for a pair of riders) This is even better than Fast Lane Plus - you go in through the exit and get to ride pretty much right away - just can't wait for front seat on some rides.

Finally, follow @TonyClarkCP on twitter as he will do a tweetup most likely where you can win things like Fast Lane Plus / line skippies / commemorative coins / free french fries and other cool stuff.

This was awesome info, definitely bookmark this for the next time I go

Hey everyone- in the next few days I'll be booking my second ever trip to the Point, I'll be staying overnight on Sunday, August 10 and will be at the park on Monday. Unfortunately, we will be leaving around 4 to 5 in the afternoon to head back home to Virginia. It'll be three of us, and we're looking to be as economical as possible and get as many rides in as possible. There's also a chance I will do starlight the day before, on Sunday. If you can answer any of my questions, please do, I appreciate any help as I'm not sure when the next time I get out to the park will be, if ever. On to the questions...

Planning on staying Sunday night at Breakers Express, and with the AAA discount, it looks like the one day ticket package for three is about $220. Is this the best deal I can get, as I definitely want the early entry?

Do I have to order the starlight online now, or can I wait until check in the day of and still get the discount ($25)?

I used regular Fast Lane last year, but now that Maverick is only on FL+, I might splurge for that. Firstly, is FL+ a necessity for a Monday in August given I want multiple re-rides? Also, can I buy it the day of or day before for the same price ($95)?

What crowds can I expect for both days- Sunday night (5-10 pm) and Monday? Last year I went Saturday, July 4th weekend. Big mistake.

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

Mid-August is still peak season - everyone cramming one last getaway before school starts. I can't speak on best hotel or ticket prices as I have a Platinum Pass (and get same 10% off as AAA - which isn't much). But, I believe you can buy your tickets when you check-in or any time before or after at the front desk. So you should be OK waiting on Starlight. You can call and ask to be sure.

Early entry is pretty much a must - so staying off-site though cheaper really isn't an option. What I would do is StarLight Sunday and you should be able to walk-on or have short waits on a lot of coasters - GateKeeper / Raptor / Blue Streak / Mantis / Corkscrew / Magnum / Gemini / Mine Ride / Mean Streak. I'd hit them up then get in line for MF before closing to get in one night ride (in the back row ). The park closes at 10 - but the lines will close at 10:08 and they will clear them out - so even if it's an hour or more wait still you can just watch some FunTV in line and inch closer to one of the best rides of your life!

For Monday morning I would drive to the main lot and be parked by 8:45AM (at the very latest). Also park towards the left and follow the blue path along Blue Streak to the Marina gate. Tends to be a shorter line and you are closest to MF - you'll also see a lot of the local "single riders" there - which is always interesting. Get on the first train - any seat will do - then get back in line (they may let you right back in if you're lucky) and wait for front row - probably a short 15-20 min wait. Next haul ass down to Maverick - should be really quiet back there - get in a ride in row 1 and again in the last row. Head up to TTD and assuming it's still before 10 - which it should be - there will be a line along the fence until they open the line. Don't forget to throw any bags in a locker first (same w. MF). You should be able to ride within 15-30 mins - if no rollbacks or breakdowns.

Now weather and downed rides can play a huge factor on how things pan out - it's not always bad - maybe you'll be by Maverick after it re-opens for an issue - or maybe a storm will roll through late Sunday night and you will have the park to yourself that evening. But if neither of those happen then the above scenario is likely.

I'd wait on Fast Lane Plus and see how the crowds are and how much you've got done - I think the only time they ever sold out was last year's opening day. Like I said in an earlier post - GATEKEEPER PLINKO!!! (Beware - MF and Maverick plinko are much "bouncier" and I find the GK one easiest to win since the pucks go down a more straight path) I rather spend $20 and (hopefully) win 4 sets of line skippies and walk right on the big 4. Again - you may win none or 10 - but on average you should win 2 skippies per 5 pucks - which costs $10.

But to have a much more relaxed day FL+ is awesome - you have to pay to play - but I think with early entry, a good plan, some line skippies, and some good luck (rides being up / weather) you can still get a lot done.

Also follow @TonyClarkCP for a chance to win at one of his (usually) daily tweetups.

Edited by Jantzen73

Oh, after spouting off about GateKeeper Plinko a few times I was curious how many we had stock-piled - 18!

My kids - my son especially is waiting for that horribly busy day and he can't wait to bust these out and just walk on all the big ones! Also have some trips planned with friends / family later this summer and we are going to treat them to some of our passes...

So, I'll say it again - if you can't do Fast Lane Plus - throw $20 at GateKeeper Plinko!!!

(Oh and last year at the end of the night, they moved the plinko board to the main midway - and to entice people to play they added a 4 pack of line skippies!!! So far this has not happened this year - and the workers aren't aware of them doing this again )

Plinko_SWAG_LOL.thumb.JPG.1fe0214ab885b06081ea80aa492e9fb9.JPG

^Thanks do much for replying- great info!

As for the line skips, are all the winning slots for the big 4, or are some just for the ride you are playing at? I may play some that Sunday night and see how I do, and if I do well, just use those instead of the FL+. If not, I'll just shell out the cash and more on. Thanks!

^Thanks do much for replying- great info!

As for the line skips, are all the winning slots for the big 4, or are some just for the ride you are playing at? I may play some that Sunday night and see how I do, and if I do well, just use those instead of the FL+. If not, I'll just shell out the cash and more on. Thanks!

All 3 Plinko games have 2 slots with the above pictured vouchers - to use on any of the big 4 - TTD, MF, Maverick or GateKeeper.

plinko-1.thumb.jpg.bf59bdc285aecec32ab26afcfca4a356.jpg