TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Doesn't sound too good for the park reopening tomorrow, if the hotels are already staying closed for tomorrow. Wonder what effect this will have for Coasting for Kids. Especially if people are in town staying at the hotels through the weekend for Coastermania and Coasting for Kids.

Hopefully they will be able to reschedule the Coasting for Kids event if the park can't reopen in time for it. Also hoping the park reopen's before my trip on Tuesday, and to think I was just worried about only TTD not being open, didn't see this one coming!

I feel bad for the kids living in Cedars/Golds! Do people still live in Cedars/Golds? I did in 2011 and I would never have traded it for living in Commons (which I did for my first two weeks). But at that point it was mostly internationals who wanted to save every penny they could (as I did) and people processed in late and had no choice. For those who aren't CP insiders, Cedars and Golds are the dorms for men and women (respectively) that are on the peninsula. Commons and Bayside are the ones you pass just as you enter the causeway, and shouldn't be affected by the water main break.

Cedars and Golds are infamous for having no air conditioning. Top that off with no water... that is downright dangerous. Hopefully they are being provided with water and the ability to shower at Commons. Unless things have changed in the last few years, there is not enough room for all the employees to sleep in Commons/Bayside.

^You would have rather lived in a dorm without AC than with?

As for MF, I rode it last night and while fast, it wasn't really ejector as much as it was long, semi-intense floater. Maverick was running insanely fast last night, however.

I got my first rides ever on MF and Maverick this week. Both are my top two coasters, with MF being #1. Maverick would be #1 if the OTSR's weren't so horrible.

Maybe I'm tolerant to headbanging, but Maverick blows MF out of the water.

Yeah, Maverick is a great ride, but the restraints really make it less enjoyable. Millennium doesn't have nearly as much airtime, but it's a fast and crazy ride with comfortable seats.

Also, GateKeeper was one of the biggest surprises of the trip. I found it to have lots of forces (not really as much as older B&Ms, but fairly close) and some fun elements. I think I enjoyed it more since I went in with low expectations.

Raptor was disappointing. I didn't experience any of the forces people seem to be racing about. I also found its layout to be pretty boring. It's a good ride, but not as good as people seen to say it is.

A coaster enthusiast that likes GK and dislikes Raptor? WHAT KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS?

Well, this is quite a waste of my weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday lost while I'm here in town. It could've been worse if this happened yesterday before Coastermania. I do find it AMAZING that they're closed for 2 days.

These days, nothing Cedar Point / Cedar Fair does surprises me.

This is a Sandusky issue, not Cedar Fair/Cedar Point. CP doesn't want to be closed, this isn't a decision they want to make.

Edited by PVA62

It's understandable to be disappointed in this situation but I hardly think you can lay the blame on CP and Cedar Fair for this. If they're correct and it was a break that the City of Sandusky was in charge of that's just the failing, aging infrastructure in our country that we're going to have to deal with a lot more in the near future.

I was sent home from SFNE one year after a water main break so it certainly happens.

This is definitely not Cedar Fair / Cedar Point's fault and the guests aren't the only ones who are disappointed and upset. Cedar Fair should be just as upset missing out on operating on a beautiful weekend. Cedar Point employees must be upset by unexpectedly missing out on 2 days of pay, and the town of Sandusky must be upset missing out on the tax revenue from Cedar Point being closed, including loss of revenue from the surrounding hotels. I'm sure everyone is doing everything possible to ensure this doesn't go on longer than it has to.

It's understandable to be disappointed in this situation but I hardly think you can lay the blame on CP and Cedar Fair for this. If they're correct and it was a break that the City of Sandusky was in charge of that's just the failing, aging infrastructure in our country that we're going to have to deal with a lot more in the near future.

I was sent home from SFNE one year after a water main break so it certainly happens.

Exactly.

Can you imagine what would've happened if the water main had broken during Coastermania? The enthusiast meltdown would've irradiated the City of Sandusky for years!

I don't dislike Raptor, I just thought GateKeeper had a better layout and was more comfortable.

I dislike Raptor just because I used to ride it ten times a morning for platinum pass ERT and the ride really had nothing for me anymore.

Well, this is quite a waste of my weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday lost while I'm here in town. It could've been worse if this happened yesterday before Coastermania. I do find it AMAZING that they're closed for 2 days.

The park really has no choice. At the loss of revenues, this is absolutely last thing the park wants to do. Partly due to the economic recession, many municipalities lack the money to adequately update their aging infrastructure. This is an example of that.

Of course, it is possible that the sudden surge of restroom use by Coastermania attending ACErs after the lunch buffet really strained Sandusky's capacity to supply water causing a definite water main breakage.

I do have to say that the park has been very diligent in letting customers know in any way possible the situation at the park. It has been all over social media and their website. For what it is worth, I applaud the park. Things happen that are out of the control of park management, this can happen anywhere.

Of course, it is possible that the sudden surge of restroom use by Coastermania attending ACErs after the lunch buffet really strained Sandusky's capacity to supply water causing a definite water main breakage.

Thanks for making me laugh. It was an EXTENSIVE lunch! Lot's of big bellies around yesterday..

I drove my family out to CP from Chicago on thursday evening and was in the park this morning when it all went haywire. Naturally, I did not have my cell phone on me and my wife and daughter were back at Hotel Breakers incommunicado. It was kind of cool to be the only ones in the park (the early entry crowd), with the prospect of having it to ourselves for the 3-4 hours (that was the initial estimate for repairs and there was an early thought that they might just prohibit new entries, but let the existing people in the park stay).

That said, I thought the park evacuation was done very smoothly and the crowd was surprisingly civil (for what I saw). Lots of disappointed people (including us), but I didn't see much raging. The communication could have been better at Hotel Breakers, but they had free water quickly, told us refunds would be automatic (no need to stay in big lines to check out), and overall it went okay. The traffic jam to get out of the hotel parking lock and the perimeter road was epic, and so we smartly snuck back to our room, napped for 2 hours, and then exited to a ghostly empty hotel and empty roads. quite an event.