TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Maybe it's because the area is still a construction site but Pipe Scream looks a lot larger than I thought it would for some reason. It really dominates that side of the midway.

Yeah, I originally thought that Pipe Scream was going to be somewhere at the 3/4 mark in length terms.

^^ That's no fun that way. I like to ride with my arms up, and let the ride have it's way with me. That can't happen with Maverick, I'm sad to say.

Well, that's not the restraints fault, that's yours lol. we state and the ride signs state to keep you head back and hold on to the grab bar until the ride comes to a complete and final stop. We don't state it just for fun

I'm going to the park the week of June 9th. Should I have seriously long line issues, or should I be fine if I just want to hit the credits only? What would be the best day to go, and what would be the best course of action to ensure maximum coaster riding? I believe the plan is to go from opening to closing with small possibility of staying at Breakers.

That's a tough one. I don't know the Ohio school schedule, but I notice that the "pre-season" ends May 31st which is when they start doing their full 10a-10p schedule, so school groups shouldn't be too much of an issue since school should be out by then.

If you're only going for a day or two, FastLane is recommended, but that could be crowd dependent on the weekdays. If you do plan on staying at Breakers, the early entry is a very nice perk, especially if you want to do a credit run, as Millennium, Maverick, and Top Thrill lines get longer as the day goes on and best to hit them early in the day.

I know when we got FastLane Plus when I did a trip at the end of July, I rode more coasters that day than the past trips I've done at CP before. It was well worth the extra, at least for us. Now that I think about it, I think we did ride all 14 major coasters, some several times.

^^ That's no fun that way. I like to ride with my arms up, and let the ride have it's way with me. That can't happen with Maverick, I'm sad to say.

The other side of this is that you will never be able to enjoy a fast, intense coaster that has quick directional changes by pulling a "rag doll" posture. I suppose if you had the B&M suffocating vests or the new-style Vekoma rubber vest restraints you might be able to still rag doll it, but other than that you just gotta man up and lean into the turns on a coaster like this.

Edit: Or I suppose the I-305 style restraints would work out better too, though I haven't tried them and so can't really say one way or the other.

Well, that's not the restraints fault, that's yours lol. we state and the ride signs state to keep you head back and hold on to the grab bar until the ride comes to a complete and final stop. We don't state it just for fun

I put my arms as high as I can, used my biceps to grip the restraints. That worked very well on my 15 rides marathon during the ERT. The next day, however, my arms hurt a bit.

I found a good way to ride Maverick is to hold on during the first quick turns, then I can keep me hands up the rest of the ride without much neck chopping.

^ Totally agreed, that's pretty much how I ride Maverick too. With the one exception that I always have my hands up for that initial kick butt drop!!

Let me be clear by prefacing this with the fact that I have no problems with Maverick's restraints. That said, considering how much I loved the ones on I-305, I do still wonder what those would be like on Maverick. They could possibly make an already pretty perfect coaster even more perfect!

So there is head/neck banging on Maverick? Definitely not looking forward to that but I'll ride anyway, the ride looks super amazing

Not for me. I thought it was really smooth. When I rode it I leaned my head forward and grabbed the straps on the turns which might have helped but it's just kind of a natural reaction.

So there is head/neck banging on Maverick? Definitely not looking forward to that but I'll ride anyway, the ride looks super amazing

I had no banging. I did jolt from one side to the other once with that the quick snap of the track that goes under the lift but that was it.

When I went on it. It barley had any head banging but the over the shoulder bars blocked my view a lot for he ride

I found it intuitive to lean into the turns on Maverick, though it still chopped my neck. It was also one of the few smooth, high-thrill coasters where I prefer to hold on, after a sharp arm chop. Last year it seemed friendlier overall, but I finally noticed the restraints tightening during the ride. But for me it was still comfortable and, like the other so-called issues, doesn't detract from the ride at all--nothing I mentioned is even close to a complaint.

I really did not enjoy Maverick the first time I rode it in 2010, but I loved it when I visited again in 2012 and a couple of times since. I have found that with rides like this, they're a lot better once you know what to expect from them--the first time, the quick transitions catch you really off guard and aren't enjoyable, but once you know what's coming, you can be prepared for it and really enjoy the ride.

My first visit to CP was in 2006, and I remember seeing the pile of red track that would eventually become Maverick.

Edited by aCoasterStory