TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I too am wondering why it may not be going in Challenge Park but the coordinates seem to put it in front of Gemini's station. Maybe they looked at the popularity of King's Island sling shot ride and decided to stick it into the main park instead to attract more riders.

Soak city is packed most of the summer. so i think it is good to have it. A lot of people spend a few days at cedar point so the water park breaks up the day. I go to the water parks a few times a year just to relax a few hours before going back in to the park, and hit up bubbles the swim up bar

Well I went there for two days ad didn't even consider going to the water park with such great rides nearby. But yeah, many people seem to like the idea so I guess it's nice for CP to have one (even though I don't know what soak city is like at all)

From my own observations Challenge Park doesn't really seem to draw a lot of guests being that you'd have to get your hand stamped to visit it. While that is not a big deal for me personally it may seem inconvenient to most. The attractions in Challenge Park, excluding the go-carts, may see more business if they were located within the park proper instead of being located off the beaten path.

As someone had already mentioned Kings Island's Sling Shot and Xtreme Skyflyer are very popular, plus much more of a bargain than what most parks charge for similar attractions.

Soak City is a terrible water park but I don't see it going anywhere either. It makes Cedar Point even more of a multi-day destination which helps their hotel business and they're always packed. I would love to see them modernize the size on the Camper Village side of Magnum though.

The only thing I like about Challenge Park is that it's open an hour later than the park is. I kind of like visiting after I leave the park and riding the Skyscraper... Challenge Golf needs to die though, it's falling apart and needs to be replaced with a miniature golf course that doesn't suck or something else entirely, then again it probably won't be because I'd imagine it has a really low overhead.

We went to play this year and one of the 2 courses was closed because it was flooding from the waterfall, you can't pay to play at the booth where you get the clubs like you can at every other Miniature Golf course in the world and on one of the holes (with the false hole that runs into a tube that drops it down a series of other tubes and holes before putting the ball near the actual hole) is boarded up so that it doesn't work right anymore and it drops the ball near the actual hole where it's now going ridiculously fast so it goes flying off of the green and you get to go chase it through the course.

Edited by coasterbill

^We had a really similar experience as Challenge Golf. KT loves mini-golf and since she's under 48" we went to play as she was getting bored with the kiddie stuff in the park. First we had a surly employee yell at us to go pay somewhere else, then when we came back the course was in really bad shape. KT started skipping holes and didn't even want to do the other course.

I feel like the whole Soak City / Challenge Park area is in need of a big remodel. They could turn it into a smaller Citywalk or Downtown Cedar Point and really make it a destination place after the park closes.

I feel like the whole Soak City / Challenge Park area is in need of a big remodel. They could turn it into a smaller Citywalk or Downtown Cedar Point and really make it a destination place after the park closes.

While I whole heartedly agree with this, I think CP would not benefit as much as Universal does form Citywalk since the weather would not allow and/or draw people to want to drive up to Sandusky in 20 or less degree weather. However, if it was like Main Street with the covering (or possibly enclosed completely like a mall of some sorts), that would be a possibility.

I also agree that Soak City and Challenge Park are better off being razed. CP would benefit more from park expansion. However, I do not want them getting rid of the "secret" parking lot located directly next to Gemini. It's always never filled completely when I'm there as many people believe it's employee parking.

I'm not sure why everyone else thinks they should get rid of Soak City. The only logic behind that is either

a) You personally never go to Soak City

or

b) Soak City is dated and is a pretty crappy water park.

While Soak City is a crappy water park, if it's making them money and giving people a reason to spend an extra night in one of their ridiculously expensive hotels then they would be insane to get rid of it. They should probably revitalize it and make it suck less but they shouldn't get rid of it. Challenge Park is a different story though (unless it's a lot more profitable than we think).

I really like that idea since it would give us something to do when storms hit the peninsula, especially if they were to put a roof over it. Being crammed in the big midway arcade or shops can get uncomfortable. It's an ideal location being central to Breakers, Sandcastle, Camper Village, Lighthouse Point, and the Magnum entrance.

I do not see them getting rid of Soak City or Challenge Park. I agree with SharkTums that they both need a bit of an upgrade. Add some more slides or at least add some more color because the place just looks so dated. Challenge Park adds something to do after the park closes which Cedar Point is seriously lacking considering it is a resort destination. After having a adrenalin filled day of roller coaster riding most people just aren't ready to go to sleep which is all the park/resort has to offer right now once the park closes. I also agree with SharkTums that CP could benefit from a City Walk type place. It does not have to be on the caliber of City walk just add another restaurant or two and a bar for the adults to have a drink and maybe some bowling, arcades just something. Right now staying at the resort just feels so "anticlimactic" like I am not ready to go to sleep but what else is there to do?

^^They just repainted the two slide towers last year and added Dragster H20 the year before so that tells me that they have a vested interest in keeping this park around for a while.

As far as the slingshot, I could definitely see this going into Challenge Park unless they did put between the Gemini entrance and the rest rooms. It seems like there would be plenty of room to have one in that location as it's just currently dead space.

7228194094_5ec0cc74db_o.jpg.44cf92fc6850ad650deeb74840ee0604.jpg

Courtesy Flickr.

^Unless they started building waterslides on top of one another ala Grona Lund, space could be an issue unless they took out part of Camper Village or Challenge Park - or just replaced some of the older slides (like they did with the racing speed slides to put in Dragster H2O).

I think that if they found room to put in a Pro-Slide Tornado and a water coaster that I would categorize it as an above average water park.

Heres what I think. Expand challenge park and make it form part of Cedar Point main park. Get rid of the golf course, and you pretty much have just pay per attractions. You could group it together and use it for expansion of the actual park and stuff like that. Because I do like the cool thrilling attractions that they offer, so I don't think that they should get rid of it as a whole. You have to remember that Cedar Point lacks space, so you could work it so that its just another area of the park and add more non pay per attractions back there as well. Although I guess the only thing that would be bad about that is that you can't keep challenge park open longer after cedar point closed. It would close with the park. And I like the City walk Idea! Dunno where they'd put it though...maybe near camper village?

I am not sure how I feel about putting an upcharge attraction inside the park. Wouldn't this fit better inside of challenge park? I know that some parks have these inside of the amusement park, but I already paid good money to get inside and don't feel like paying even more money for an upcharge ride. Just my opinion.

And in all honesty, The attraction is not that exciting to me. I have been on 2 of them, and they just didn't do much for me.

I am not sure how I feel about putting an upcharge attraction inside the park. Wouldn't this fit better inside of challenge park? I know that some parks have these inside of the amusement park, but I already paid good money to get inside and don't feel like paying even more money for an upcharge ride. Just my opinion.

And in all honesty, The attraction is not that exciting to me. I have been on 2 of them, and they just didn't do much for me.

Fit better? Yes. Make more money? Probably not.