TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Camper Village doesn't allow tent camping.

Tent camping is not available. Pets are permitted, but must be registered and leashed. Bicycles, roller blades and scooters are not permitted.

Source

If you want tent camping I suggest the Sandusky/Bayshore KOA located about a mile from the gate. I've not stayed at that one but have heard good things about it. The only time I camped in Sandusky was at Lighthouse Point in Camper Village.

I would not recommend the KOA. It was pretty much like a field with a few trees next to the main road. So not very campsite like. And it was completely soaked, almost every site was flooded when I went this summer....and then it rained all night making it 10x worse.

If you enjoy the experience of camping then disregard this post completely, but if the motivation is to save some money by camping it's been my experience that you can get a decent hotel in Sandusky for as little as $45 - $50 per night. We got one that was pretty good on Labor Day weekend right off the exit of I-80. Just some food for thought, hotels in Sandusky are so cheap that it might be easier to go that route...

^^Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't heard any comments like that about the KOA before. I'll keep that in mind for our next trip to Sandusky.

The reason we considered it was that our rates for the CP campground were probably the most we have ever paid per night for a campground (around $100). Since we were there for CoasterMania, it was great to be within a short walk to the resort gate.

Now that I am thinking about that trip, we need to make it back to Cedar Point again soon.

Just so you know, a friend of my parents tried to book a site in the electric only part of the camp ground and the receptionist said that part was closed (not for the off season!), so what are they planning on doing there, all I can think of is

1. Soak City expansion

2. Redoing those sites to be like the newer concrete sites.

Any other ideas?

We have never been able to make reservations for any of their campsites until the resort opens for the season in May so not sure what the receptionist meant by "closed, but not for the off-season."

Not to say that they couldn't be doing some upgrades, which they could certainly use as one thing that has always irked me about Camper Village is that check-in does not open until 4:00 PM so it's like a mass exodus of people trying to cram into that tiny check-in building. My Dad waited about an hour last year which was longer than we waited for Millennium Force!

Seems like they could open check-in at noon or 1:00 and also expand the check-in station so that they can have more than three or four people working the desk at one time. It really is a huge bottleneck between the hours of 4 & 6:00 PM.

No camp fires? Really?

As far as campfires, we have gotten around that somewhat by bringing in some of those faux Duraflame logs and putting a couple of them into the grill. Certainly not the "traditional" campfire, but it does add some ambience....and we've noticed others doing the same.

We used to camp quite a bit, and we have stayed at the cp campground twice. The campground is clean, but thats about the extent of the positives I have about it.

No camp fires....seriously, what is camping without a campfire?

No bikes or rollerblading? Not a lot for the kids to do.

The sites are right on top of each other.

The campsites are very expensive.

And to top it off, they decided to close down and clean the shower/ bathrooms at 8:30 in the morning when eeveryone was getting ready to go into the park.

We stayed at the K.O.A a few times, and had no issues. It may look a little like a field,but at least you can have a campfire, bikes, and not have to shell out a ton of money for it.

^I am not trying to discount what you're saying although I've had mixed results from tripadvisor and their campground reviews. We have had good luck with the Trailer Life campground directory that rates up 10 points in 3 different categories:

completeness of facilities/cleanliness and maintenance of restrooms and showers/visual appearance and environmental quality

Any campground that we really like is always rated at least 7 in each category and usually they are 8-9 on average. The reviewers are RVers who spend at least a few months on the road each year and are trained professionals and are like 'mystery diners' or 'secret shoppers.'

With that being said, here's the ratings for 2013 for the Sandusky campgrounds in case you are interested:

Camp Sandusky - 7.5/7.5/6.5

Camper Village Cedar Point - 8/10/9

Sandusky/Bayshore Estates KOA - 9/10/9

Crystal Rock Campground - 6.5/8.5/8

Milan Travel Park - 9/9.5/8

We travel in an RV so these scores do focus more on that aspect and less on if you're a tent (real) camper. Additionally these scores are updated every year. Just a couple of years ago Camper Village had a 6.5 for the bathrooms so the reviewer this year caught them when they were clean.

On a side note, I prefer campgrounds that have fewer trees rather than more. I've had damage to all of my units from falling branches, low clearances for maneuvering in and out of the campground and site, etc. Right now I have three scratches in the side of my full body paint job from low hanging branches, two at campgrounds, one from my driveway where some idiot (me) wasn't paying attention to the front clearance when backing into the parking spot

Lake Erie regions are a hit or miss in June. You will have nice 80 degree days one day, and turn around to the 50s less than 24 hours later. If you want to avoid buying a Fast Lane though, this is a gamble worth taking as the park won't be as busy as it normally is in July and August. Normally the temps are low 70s, but my lifetime experience in this region is that they love to fluctuate in a hurry, especially on the shoreline of Lake Erie. And remember, 75 degrees on a peninsula usually feels more like 65 degrees, so be prepared.

What if cedar point got a dueling 4d coaster? Two zac spins next to each other with a different layout from Green Lanturn and Insane. Maybe slightly longer and more intense.

Uh...have you ridden either of these coasters? I promise you, it wouldn't need to be any more intense. The ZacSpins are pretty lethal as they are.

What if cedar point got a dueling 4d coaster? Two zac spins next to each other with a different layout from Green Lanturn and Insane. Maybe slightly longer and more intense.

Uh...have you ridden either of these coasters? I promise you, it wouldn't need to be any more intense. The ZacSpins are pretty lethal as they are.

Truth

What is weather usually like in Sandusky around mid June?

It's hard to tell but my only suggestion is that if possible you should plan on multiple days or make a last minute decision based on chance of precipitation. My experience is that if it so much as lightly drizzles every single coaster closes with the exception of the B&M's (Gatekeeper, Raptor and Mantis). This park has one of the dumbest rain policies of any park I've ever been to.

Truth

It was just an idea I have heard mixed reviews about ZacSpins but the capacity is the biggest issue on them.

We used to camp quite a bit, and we have stayed at the cp campground twice. The campground is clean, but thats about the extent of the positives I have about it.

No camp fires....seriously, what is camping without a campfire?

No bikes or rollerblading? Not a lot for the kids to do.

The sites are right on top of each other.

The campsites are very expensive.

And to top it off, they decided to close down and clean the shower/ bathrooms at 8:30 in the morning when eeveryone was getting ready to go into the park.

We stayed at the K.O.A a few times, and had no issues. It may look a little like a field,but at least you can have a campfire, bikes, and not have to shell out a ton of money for it.

The first time I went to Cedar Point was in 2003 and me and my family took our camper and stayed at there campground. I just remember my dad complaining and saying how bad of a campground it was and stuff. Now a good theme park campground in my opinion was Kings Islands old campground. Me and my family used to stay in it all the time when we went to Kings Island and stay for a few days. I was actually a bit sad when I heard that Great Wolf Lodge was going to replace it. I just remember Kings Islands campground giving you a good view of some of the taller rides in Action Zone, and it having trees, campfires, a pool, and a really cute little store. Anyway when I went to Cedar Point again in 2008, we stayed in a hotel instead.

It's hard to tell but my only suggestion is that if possible you should plan on multiple days or make a last minute decision based on chance of precipitation. My experience is that if it so much as lightly drizzles every single coaster closes with the exception of the B&M's (Gatekeeper, Raptor and Mantis). This park has one of the dumbest rain policies of any park I've ever been to.

Does Intamin, etc. recommend rain closings?

Does Intamin, etc. recommend rain closings?

I'm not sure. I do know that one of the main issues is lack of traction between the drive wheels and trains when it's wet. This tend to affect Intamins more because the surface under the train is usually just diamondplate. The lack of traction would do things such as preventing it from parking properly in the station and slipping while moving a train.

I'm sure there are some parks in other countries that have a "run it until it faults" attitude.

At Silverwood, we close cable driven rides when the rain starts to be noticeable on the pavement. Tire driven are closed when it begins to effect the ride cycle. Our coasters don't use drive tires so we can stay open in just about anything.

^That's interesting that you posted that Robb, as I was looking for some Cedar Point memorabilia before Christmas and found his postings on Ebay. Only problem was that my partner had already finished Christmas shopping otherwise I would have had a lot of his items on my list.

I really like the Pirate Ride Christmas ornament!

Some interesting events are happening at CP for coaster lovers!

LOVE COASTERS? CHECK OUT THESE EVENTS

This past Saturday, I had the great privilege of hanging out with members of the American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) at their annual No Coaster Con event in Chicago.

It's a gathering of ACE members, friends and fellow theme park colleagues from around the country. I met many new friends and got to catch up with folks from Kennywood, Dollywood, Knoebel's, Schlitterbahn, Kings Island, Six Flags Great America and Kings Dominion.

It's not often that we're all in the same place together - but an event like this reminds me of how much I (we) love this industry. So much passion and joy. Glad to be a part of it.

The big news is that I announced a few events that I think you should know about. So, here's the breakdown.

All events are subject to change without notice. Please be sure to read the participant requirements, as they are slightly different for each event.

THE MILLENNIUM WALKBACK - Saturdays & Sundays, starting Sunday, May 11

NOTE: This event is open to members of officially recognized roller coaster clubs only. Every participant MUST show their membership card to be admitted. For the complete list of recognized clubs, click here.

Want to REALLY be the first to ride the "Best Steel Roller Coaster in the World" every weekend?

Here's how it works. You'll meet us at the Marina Gate 10 minutes prior to Early Entry (8:50 a.m. on most days). If you meet us at 8:51, you're already late. The party leaves at 8:50 every morning, so make your plans to get there early!

We'll walk you back to Millennium Force where you'll have the first ride of the day. And after you're done, you'll enjoy EARLY ENTRY from 9-10 a.m.

Remember, this begins on Sunday, May 11 - NOT on opening day. Park admission required.

WINTER CHILL OUT, presented by PointBuzz - Saturday, February 22

NOTE: This event is open to anyone.

This event is an off-season look at what happens here at Cedar Point in the winter. You'll be treated to a tour of the park and our maintenance facilities. You'll also get to meet our new VP & General Manager Jason McClure during a Q&A session - feel free to "grill" him with the big questions. And we'll also feed you.

The best part? The proceeds from this event go directly to Give Kids The World. Please read up on what they're doing for children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. It's remarkable and we're happy to partner with them.

There's also a special Castaway Bay rate for those attending the tour. Details will be sent to you once you register for the event.

Cost of this event is $40 and includes everything mentioned above. You must purchase a ticket and register for this event. To do so, please click here.

GEMINI MIDWAY MEDIA PREVIEW - Thursday, May 8

NOTE: This event is open to members of officially recognized roller coaster clubs only. Every attendee MUST be a member of a recognized coaster club. For the complete list of accepted clubs, click here.

When we open new attractions, we give members of the media a chance to come experience them first so they can tell viewers and readers what they can expect when they visit. But we need more people at the party!

The schedule is still being finalized, but we'll have more details soon. This event is FREE; park admission not required.

COASTERMANIA! - Friday, June 6

NOTE: This event is open to members of officially recognized coaster clubs only. However, each member is permitted to bring (1) guest who is not a member of an official coaster club. For the complete list of accepted clubs, click here.

It's our annual celebration of all things coasters! Wake up with exclusive ride time on some of your favorites. Then, join us for a luncheon filled with food, fun and a few surprises. Even more exclusive ride time is planned when the park closes.

We're still planning the day's activities, but we need your help. Give us your feedback and tell us what YOU want to ride at CoasterMania! After all, it's YOUR event!

See the CoasterMania! page to fill out the survey. The event activities are FREE; park admission required.

COASTER CAMPOUT - Friday, July 18

NOTE: At least one member of your camping party MUST be a member of a recognized coaster club and must be the person that registers for this event. For the complete list of accepted clubs, click here.

Ever wonder what it's like to sleep INSIDE the park when it's closed? Now's your chance! It's the first time we've done it - and here's how it works: we'll set aside grassy areas for you to set up your tent. Then, join us for exclusive ride time in the evening of the 18th on a few of your favorites. Sleep in your tent overnight. Then, we wake you up with MORE exclusive ride time on the morning of the 19th!

Once you pack up your tent, you're welcome to enjoy the rest of the day at the park.

Registration will open on Wednesday, February 5 and we'll have a full itinerary then (I'll remind you when it's time). A special hotel rate will be provided for those who do not want to camp in the park, but would still like to attend.

The event activities are FREE; park admission required.

So there you have it. Lots to talk about and lots to do. Keep checking back or follow me on Twitter for the latest updates.