TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I have to agree, Raptor is a great, forceful old school B&M invert, but it was snappy when I rode, and jerked my head a lot, way more than any other B&M that I've been on.

Oh, that's a bit weird. When I went to CP for two consecutive days I rode raptor loads of times and (apart from a slight jerk in the cobra roll and a not so small one in the end) it was silky smooth. No sort of headbanging whatsoever. What made the ride even better was that, for most of the first day, the MCBR was not braking the ride at all which made it even better!

Maybe I just caught it in two good days, though.

Thanks for posting the video. I wish it was an hour long; I find the behind the scenes stuff fascinating. And I'd forgotten about that damn song! Interesting to see how much work goes into running a ride like Dragster. Last time I was at Cedar Point it didn't break down at all until 10 p.m. The crew then ran the ride in some kind of manual/slow mode that didn't launch trains as frequently so it would stay up. Another example of Cedar Point's great customer service. Some parks would have closed it down and called it a night.

And Raptor is perfect, final "Vekoma turn" and all.

Last time I was at Cedar Point it didn't break down at all until 10 p.m. The crew then ran the ride in some kind of manual/slow mode that didn't launch trains as frequently so it would stay up. Another example of Cedar Point's great customer service. Some parks would have closed it down and called it a night.
I agree. I got there at night and was trying to ride Millennium Force right before the park closed and it broke down about 30 minutes before closing. At a lot of places they would have just shut it down but the MF crew got it back up and running and cycled it and got us on the ride just in time, I was very grateful.

Hey all, I was wondering what sort of crowd I should expect in the park for a Saturday during Halloweekends. I've always gone on Sundays in the past-usually quite dead-and I'm trying to decide if I should pony up for the Fast Lane Plus in advance. Thanks for your help!

Hey all, I was wondering what sort of crowd I should expect in the park for a Saturday during Halloweekends. I've always gone on Sundays in the past-usually quite dead-and I'm trying to decide if I should pony up for the Fast Lane Plus in advance. Thanks for your help!

Definitely, definitely buy the Fast Lane Plus if you want to ride all of the coasters without waiting in hellacious lines...this is a no-brainer for a Saturday!!!

We have gotten in the habit of just skipping the park altogether on Saturday's when we go now. During the past couple of years, we have either gone golfing or taken the ferry to Put-In Bay and just gone to the park on Friday night (and sometimes Sunday for a few hours if we feel up to it). Then again, we have been to the park a lot and are within four hours so it is no big deal for us to skip the park on it's most crowded days.

Every time we have stayed at Camper Village or the Breakers for Halloweekends, the parking lot has been completely full on Saturday, with this year being no exception.

Below is a photo I took from the Space Spiral back in '09 on one of the last times we ever paid to enter the park on a Saturday during Halloweekends. I think the Space Spiral was one of about five rides we rode the entire day because of the long lines.

For the gentleman wanting to know about Columbus Day Sunday, I cannot comment as I have never visited during that time. If the weather is good, I would say that the park might be more crowded than a typical Sunday because of Monday's closings. If you want to be safe, I would spring for FL or you could risk waiting in long lines for the major coasters.

791782760_Halloweekends_09148.jpg.e0cee0d052282b842221bc915a10ba6e.jpg

One thing that I found interesting this year is how they were directing traffic into the marina side parking lot around 11:30 in the morning. This lot is usually empty and they were funneling traffic in there at the same pace as the main lot...they knew it was going to be mobbed.

At that time, the parking lot was about 1/2 to 3/4 full and by the time we drove back to Camper Village to pick up my Dad & girlfriend, went golfing and got back to CP around 6:30, the main lot looked about full & there were a lot of vehicles driving around in the main lot just looking for a vacated parking spot.

Had to chuckle a bit knowing that you can easily park in the Soak City lot at the back of the park. When the water park isn't open, it's a great place to park during Halloweekends...plus you get the cool drive-back around the park. The SC lot was about half full on this occasion, which was surprising because it's usually close to empty in the offseason.

Edit to Chuck: I would say that the haunt at CP is decent, but there could be many, many improvements when compared to some of the Universal haunt reports I have seen on here. I actually thought that the Kings Island haunt was a bit nicer when I went a couple of years ago...and I wasn't overly impressed with the CP haunt a couple of Friday's ago.

How does CP's Haunt stack up to others in the chain?

We seem to think that they are pretty tame compared to the other ones- they renamed Dr. D. Mented's Asylum to Eternity Infirmary due to a local controversy (however, it is still pretty asylum-themed.) Eden Musee is pretty scary - it is dark and you can't see the monsters - however, my favorite scene with the strobe lights wrapped people that sometimes sneak up and say "psst..." doesn't seem to have as many living monsters (monstly models) or none - or at least I haven't seen them move this year - but I've only been through twice this year.

Zombie High School (Replacing Club Blood) has a bit of scare to it, but maybe it only seems like that because most times I've been through it were on a Fall Freakout GOCC tour with no monsters and full lighting. If you notice, the plans on the wall and boards in the "drafting classroom" are for several haunts, including Zombie High School itself. The books (glued down) and tech equipment in the library and old tech closet seem to be real (on the tour, the old stereo was blasting scratchy sounding songs, including what sounded like Gangnam Style.) Despite how much I like it (especially the rather funny jockstraps hanging from the ceiling at the end), I miss the hanging clear body bags (or something like that) in the strobe light room from Club Blood. I also really miss Happy Jack's Toy Factory - it was long and the peeing dolls at the end were hilarious. Hopefully when Eden Musee is retired, they'll bring back a toy factory haunt (with peeing dolls.)

On the other hand, Fear Faire sucks now, its just a winding path through the picnic pavillion with a bunch of plastic props. It used to have a large circular "marketplace" if I remember that you could stay in as long as you wanted. That is gone now, and the haunt is a bit lame.

So why don't I think Halloweekends is any more violent than any other haunts? At Dorney Park (which, like many CF parks, still uses the Asylum theme, or at least it did in 2011 when I went in the fall), the Asylum person gave us rules at the beginning. It started as normal - don't touch the monsters, they won't touch you, etc... but then they said "don't drop the soap." Sure enough, I believe the first scene was a shower scene. That should sum things up for you.

As for rides, its the same, although the different operating schedule and weather conditions means that you might get slow rides (MF in the morning on Sunday was lacking airtime in practically every way except the usual airtime on the first drop in the back) or fast rides, or maybe the opening and closing of the back rows on Dragster might net you a rollback (still waiting for the lucky day.) If you care, some of the less popular coasters (Gemini, Mine Ride, Mantis, Corkscrew, and I would say the kiddie coasters too) are closed on Friday, though Mean Streak and I think Iron Dragon stay open - correct me if I missed anything. Also, on Saturdays and Sundays, Corkscrew closes during the parade - the floats get too close to the corkscrews to allow it to run. All water rides are shut down all the time, I think (I don't think they run during Halloweekends at all) - Thunder Canyon's trough is for CornStalkers (another interesting haunt), StR has been shut down since the accident, and SRF is also closed. Skyhawk has reopened one arm, although I could swear it swings to maximum height for less time now (the cycle may have been shortened.)

How does CP's Haunt stack up to others in the chain?

CP has probably the worst out of the Cedar Fair events I have been to.

I have only been at Canada's Wonderland and Kings Island to compare within the Cedar Fair chain, but I like both better than CP. Both have better houses... All have relatively weak zones though.

Canada's Wonderland's event is amazing house-wise. They have a few houses that are as good as, if not better than some HHN houses. The sets, detail and characters are amazing. We were blown away the first time we had went, not expecting it to be as good as it was. We went back the next year as well. Sadly, we won't make it there this year as we went down to HHN instead. I am surprised I don't hear so much more about CW's event. I really think it can be in the running alongside HHN and Knotts (from what I hear).

CP's event is OK, but the iffy house designs (do you really need bright lights shining in your eyes around each turn of the house?) and careless scare actors talk as soon as they think you leave the room between themselves. Kind of a buzzkill. They also rely on shaker cans wayyyy too much to try and scare you. I don't know, the whole event just feels so "flat" with energy if that makes sense. I just wish the employees had a bit more passion or something.