TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I like this addition a lot actually. Flyers are seeing a resurgence across the industry for a very good reason; they are family-friendly and thrilling at the same time. The Disk'o coaster seems very nice hoping it will have a similar height requirement to its clones in other Cedar Fair parks. We can only hope that Cedar Point sticks to the manufacturer requirements and doesn't raise the height requirements higher than they really need to be. Most importantly, a "tired" section of the park is getting new life.

Referring back to some earlier posts about how high the height restrictions are for "family" rides such as Blue Streak, Mine Ride, Iron Dragon, etc., I would love to see the records on what the manufacturer set or if even the manufacturer set a height requirement for some of the oldest ones like Blue Streak and Mine Ride. I know that rides dating back to the late 1970s at the park I work at were constructed with no manufacturer-set height requirements. Basically, the park had to set them based on their own testing as well as approval by the state and the insurance company.

Edited by ajfelice

^I'm so glad someone else has said it!

That was a TERRIBLE video. That family made me want to kill myself. I'm assuming those children will also now be constantly bullied at school because of it.

Also, I don't see how this is so great for families!?!? First off, we haven't seen any height restrictions. Secondly they're pulling out some of the old kiddie rides to do this. Anyone who followed our Cedar Point report with a 45" tall child knows what I'm talking about and this small 2014 addition won't help.

The "Faile" family..... LOL!!!

Finally saw the announcement video as it really was just terrible! Anyway, the two new attractions are nice and all, but I totally agree that it would've been much better if they were adding two additional rides, versus just swapping them out.

Regarding the 2014 additions, I do think they will be popular rides and it's nice to see the park investing in family attractions, but I don't think it's enough to make a significant difference. If the park truly wants to appeal to families, they need more major attractions the entire family can ride together. Something more along the lines of a dark ride or even new trains for the Cedar Creek Mine Ride so it could run with a 42" height requirement would help the park much more than a Flyers and Disk'O Coaster. At least family rides are better than kiddie rides as long as they are run with reasonable restrictions (aka an average 5-6 year old can ride) and this will improve that area of the park.

As for the announcement video, it went from fine to awful in under 2 minutes. I don't think it was necessarily the family's fault, but either way it's unfortunate they'll now be associated with this mess of an announcement.

I would love to see the records on what the manufacturer set or if even the manufacturer set a height requirement for some of the oldest ones like Blue Streak and Mine Ride. I know that rides dating back to the late 1970s at the park I work at were constructed with no manufacturer-set height requirements. Basically, the park had to set them based on their own testing as well as approval by the state and the insurance company.

From the Sandusky Register: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/439176

Part of it comes from the Ohio Department of Agriculture as well. Shoot the Rapids was originally going to have a 42" height requirement, but "Cedar Point and the state inspectors agreed to raise the height requirement for Shoot the Rapids. It had been 42 inches. That was raised to 46 inches for a person accompanied by an older adult, and 48 inches for a person riding by himself."

But yeah, it's really fascinating that we can go to Knoebel's and my 5 year old can ride Phoenix and Twister, yet he cannot ride Blue Streak or CCMR. Or that my 2 year old can ride Jack Rabbit at Kennywood, but can't ride Beastie (or whatever it is these days) at Kings Island.

Again, Cedar Point has a ways to go, but its a step in the right direction for now.

~Rob

So the real question is, does the disk-o count as a credit or not? But if the height requirements are lower, this should be a great addition to the park.

I feel like a disk-o is a powered shuttle coaster, but I don't count powered coasters, so it's a no from me. There's too little variance between a typical powered coaster, a disk-o, and some dark rides with drops, so I prefer to count none of them. The closest thing to a powered I count is Blazing Fury at Dollywood.

As I just visited Cedar Point, I have to say that Children's Gemini Area was one of the less interessing in the park, with very few rides and nothing connecting them to each other. A little bit like if they bought too many rides in a precedent expansion, and they did not know what to do with them, so they threw them there ! I think both rides look fun, especially the Pipe Scream, and I really like the Flying Scooters, so I think it will be an improvement of the area. My only concern is the pretty low capacity of the Flying Scooters, especially if some peoples ride it alone (as many likes to control their bird themselves) because Cedar Point is a park with huge crowds.

That was a TERRIBLE video. That family made me want to kill myself. I'm assuming those children will also now be constantly bullied at school because of it.

This is exactly the thing that happened with that Gizmo guy and now he hates anything to do with Ohio. Lets hope those kids don't grow up and develope his negative personality:(

Edited by FaithPlus1

I will not twerk for any announcement. Ever.

This comment made my day.

Just a few thoughts...I am excited to see that blacktop go, and I think the area will look awesome at night with those lights strung across the midway! That is if things are to remain true to the concept art. The prospect of a new food service joint looks good too, especially if it brings some new items. I never find much at the point that appetizing.

I wish the interior of Breakers was going under the knife first, and I do prefer the white exterior. I think it makes Breakers look more regal, although those rooms...yikes! I try to do Sandcastle Suites or Breakers Express, but there is no denying the convenience of Breakers.

And as for Gemini, let's not talk about the prospect of that ride going. I love that coaster, and Blue Streak too!

All in all these are good improvements, and any improvements are good right? They did just put in a new coaster this year ya know. And the video, no comment.

Sounds like a nice addition.

Definitely looking forward to snappi-umm, err, "riding" the flying scooters

Unfortunately, having been on the ones at KBF and Michigan's Adventure, I don't think the newer ones are nearly as "snappy" as the old ones for some reason. However,maybe its similar to Carowinds' and KD's scooters and I'm overreacting. Still a cool ride, though!

I will not twerk for any announcement. Ever.

Just quoting Tony so he can possibly answer from the Parks standpoint. Will Cedar Point officially count Pipe Scream as their 17th coaster? I mean isn't the name of the ride (Generically) Disk'o Coaster? Just curious... It would be great to see the number increase back to 17. and on top of that it would make Cedar Point home to 3 Kiddie / Family coasters! I'd say a win-win (Since some people complain that too many coasters is a bad thing because theres nothing for the Kiddies). Personally I'm happy with the additions to the park. The only Disk'o Ive been on is the one in Martin's Fantasy Island which doesnt have the hump in the middle and it runs the generic Disco Vehicle instead of the Skater. Cant wait to ride!

On another topic, I was watching a Mean Streak POV, and if they give it the Iron Horse treatment, there is some serious potential for this ride, it has tons of land that they can work with, it's going to be interesting to see what they come up with if they do decide to give it the Iron Horse treatment. Fingers crossed!

Sounds like a nice addition.

Definitely looking forward to snappi-umm, err, "riding" the flying scooters

Unfortunately, having been on the ones at KBF and Michigan's Adventure, I don't think the newer ones are nearly as "snappy" as the old ones for some reason. However,maybe its similar to Carowinds' and KD's scooters and I'm overreacting. Still a cool ride, though!

Having done the scooters at Holiday World several times, I can say that while it may be way harder to snap your scooter, you can still get some serious height if you time your rudder turning just right. While the older ones have that "HOLY CRAP" factor, the newer ones are still just as fun!