TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

My favorite part is when they started squawking and flapping their arms.

My first thought was the Arrested Development chicken dance and my second thought was that poor kid is going to be seeing chicken noises and flapping wings behind his back for a very long time.

Also, I don't see how this is so great for families!?!? First off, we haven't seen any height restrictions. Secondly they're pulling out some of the old kiddie rides to do this. Anyone who followed our Cedar Point report with a 45" tall child knows what I'm talking about and this small 2014 addition won't help.

I also am hoping that the height restriction ends up being like the Tilt-A-Whirl "46 & under with responsible person" for these two rides otherwise this isn't really a win for families. Had Cedar Point released any of this information yet?

I can see the Flyers having that type of height restriction, but what about the Disk-O Coaster?

So much bitching over this, atleast the park is getting new FAMILY rides. It is not like the park received a nice shiny coaster or something last year...

The irony of this is that you're actually doing more bitching than anyone else. No one at all is complaining about this not being a big shiny coaster. You have READ the responses, right? Maybe you should think before you post? Hmm??

I agree the improvements in that area are much needed. But the concern about this helping "families" is a real one. How many kids do you have between the heights of 36" - 45"

Personally, I'd love more than anything to see them actually take the idea of catering to families more serious. They could start by lowering the height restrictions of Mine Train, Iron Dragon, and Blue Streak to something that's a bit more "industry standard" for those rides which are found in other parks with much lower height restrictions.

But swapping out two family rides for two family rides (although better ones), neither of which anyone is sure of the height restrictions, doesn't actually help or increase options for families, it just makes those areas nicer looking.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I don't think the video was that bad, especially since they acted that way in their audition video, which many people voted for and won. Tony also did a great job producing it. Someone complained on another board and he flat out asked "Why?". He'd like to know because he produced it. Cheesy? Sure....but it happens. All in all, solid addition to the park in my opinion, and that's what I was more concerned with, not the video. No more black top according to the renderings. That's a Plus! Looking forward to seeing the new redone area and these two rides open. We might even see some new food options or something up there.

As for the comments on the video being disabled. They are disabled on all of their videos I believe. I think they're getting sick and tired of the fanboys who know nothing about amusement park operations (or other parks besides Cedar Point) saying "OMGZ WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO BUILD THE 500 FOOT, ULTRA LOOPING COASTER".Put them on a Togo!

Robb, I believe the height requirement for the Surf Dog at Kings Island is 48 inches to ride alone but 44 inches to ride with an adult. I hope there are some more smaller height requirement rides coming in the future to help fill the Paddlwheel & Space Spiral voids.

The Flying Scooters will most likely be 44" alone, 36-44" with an adult. That info is coming from Lakeside Gliders at MA

Unfortunately, like Robb and Elissa referred to, you can't really go by what the industry standard is when you are dealing with Cedar Point. Most of their rides have higher minimum height requirements than the standard.

Edited by ernierocker

That was a TERRIBLE video. That family made me want to kill myself. I'm assuming those children will also now be constantly bullied at school because of it..

My first thought when the video ended was "Well, that was a video". Horribly produced, cheesey, lame, and annoying as hell. I honestly lost interest in the announcement as soon as they opened their mouths.

I've seen used car lots have better videos than that.

The hotel make over looks and sounds to be all cosmetic rather than anything practical like I don't know, elevators maybe in the old section.

Unfortunately, like Robb and Elissa referred to, you can't really go by what the industry standard is when you are dealing with Cedar Point. Most of their rides have higher minimum height requirements than the standard.

Except that MA is owned by Cedar Fair, and CF seems to be fairly consistent between parks.

The other flyers (Carowinds) are 48" alone, but anyone under is allowed to ride when accompanied by a responsible adult. So I would assume the flyers will allow shorter riders with an adult (as do most of the classic spinning rides, i.e. Calypso, Super Himalaya, Ocean Motion, Troika, Matterhorn, etc.).

Surf Dog at KI looks like they require 44" to ride at all. Better than 46" but still seems a bit high.

Except that MA is owned by Cedar Fair, and CF seems to be fairly consistent between parks.

The other flyers (Carowinds) are 48" alone, but anyone under is allowed to ride when accompanied by a responsible adult. So I would assume the flyers will allow shorter riders with an adult (as do most of the classic spinning rides, i.e. Calypso, Super Himalaya, Ocean Motion, Troika, Matterhorn, etc.).

Surf Dog at KI looks like they require 44" to ride at all. Better than 46" but still seems a bit high.

I guess they use the term "responsible adult" loosely.

Was the video a bit cheesy? Sure, but I don't see that as a reason to poke fun at the family. Enthusiasts may not like the video but I'm sure mot of the general public eats them up. It's not like they were hired actors either. I'd rather have a real family promote the park than some fake one made from actors.

The new rides look nice, and hopefully the ride height requirements will be decent.

[/but swapping out two family rides for two family rides (although better ones), neither of which anyone is sure of the height restrictions, doesn't actually help or increase options for families, it just makes those areas nicer looking.

quote]

Those are kiddie rides that are being removed, not family rides. They have plenty of those types of kiddie rides in the other kids areas. The 2 new rides do look like a solid addition. Moving the entrance to Jr. Gemini to camp snoopy is a great move as well as moving Frog Hopper.

Jim

Love the two family rides. Glad to see CP is adding Flying Scooters! I love these kind of rides! And I hope more and more Zamperla Disko rides are added in the USA. I personally think they're very overlooked.

Don the PR guy said Surf Dog is a coaster and that is why Ki boasted they had 14 coasters while RCDb said 13. Of course now RCDB says 14 with Banshee. I have not seen if they say 15 coasters with the addition of Banshee.

http://www.kicentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27541-ki-says-they-have-14-roller-coasters-i-counted-13-what-am-i-missing/?hl=surf#entry521422

Half way down the page post #19. Sorry moderators if I am violating a rule. Let me know and I will delete the post.

Am I the only one thinking that maybe the reason they are renaming Gemini Jr. is because Gemini won't be around for much longer?

I don't think that has anything to do with it. The name change makes sense because it won't be across from Gemini anymore and that is practically the only reason why it had the name Jr Gemini considering its nothing like Gemini at all (wooden supports, racing coaster). I definitely hope what you're thinking isn't right, I love Gemini! xD

I don't think the video was horribly produced. The editing was adequate in my opinion. The family held it together until the squawking, then it got weird. The cheesiest moment was when the youngest started spinning "around and around and around."

That being said, I didn't realize at first that two rides would be taken out for this attraction. Cedar Point is in need for some more family friendly attractions. While this doesn't add numbers to their family lineup, it does improve it marginally.

Hopefully families will be addressed in a big way in the next few years. I'd totally be ok with them not getting a new coaster for a while... especially when they build coasters like "Gatesleeper".

It's a step in the right direction. These are two rides that accomodates both adults and kids together. I'm assuming the height restrictions will be similar to other CF parks. So, Pipe Scream could be 44" and flyers are 36" - 48" with adult and 48" and up can ride alone. We won't know for sure until CP announces that. After StR's announcement, then revision of the height requirement I wasn't too thrilled.

I say a step in the right direction because a lot of rides that could accomodate the family has been yanked from the park since the mid 90's. They still have a long way to go. I would still like to see a more traditional flume in the park that includes a 36" height requirement but it doesn't stop there. I have three boys heights 36", 44", and 51" and it's a pain in the butt to do things together. We have to go to other parks 3 hours from us to trully enjoy rides as a family.

~Rob

How much does the ride experience vary on a Skater car versus a standard Disko car? The ride looks fun either way, but I find it interesting that some parks (KI, CP) can market it as a family ride where others label it more as a thrill ride.

I do like the concept art, and I agree that the area very badly needed the facelift it is getting. It also looks like the kiddie bumper boats are getting the boot (approximate Lake Erie Eagles area I think?). I always felt for the team member that would need to wade in that pool whenever I passed by.

Hopefully families will be addressed in a big way in the next few years. I'd totally be ok with them not getting a new coaster for a while... especially when they build coasters like "Gatesleeper".

I like the park is adding flyers. I also like the changes coming to the Hotel even though we knew these changes were coming. They could continue to sell the rooms regardless because of the convenience of the area so its good see them putting some money into the hotel.