TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Or they could've accepted none and just had thirteen weddings. I believe that he actually wanted to be "married" there, which just isn't legal at this time (sadly). If they would've gotten 13 weddings, then there would have been exactly zero vow renewals.

As much as I would love for anyone to marry whoever they like there, it just isn't legal. If they wouldn't have had Thirteen Weddings, they may not have done it (and who knows if they would've made it to number 13 anyway). Or who's to say if they didn't get enough that they might not extend it for commitment ceremonies?

Anyway, I do get what you're saying. You definitely know something like this could possibly surface with a contest like this, but I don't know if they really expected it to spiral out as much as it did. Maybe a different version of the contest could be done in the future and instead of calling it "13 Weddings" they can call it something else to include not just weddings, but vow renewals & commitment ceremonies.

I do wish they'd address it again though instead of just letting it fly out of control. This happened at the beginning of the month and the press is just now grabbing ahold of it

Moving off of that subject and onto 2014, that definitely appears to be near Planet Snoopy/The Beach/WindSeeker. This could be interesting.

Edited by Coasterguy21

I'm posting my comments merely on a discussion basis, and not as much on my knowledge for this subject.

Is there any hope for Mantis to smooth out a little? Has it been that rough since it opened?

I rode Mantis on Saturday and I was astonished on how rough, jerky and uncomfortable the ride experience was. I rode Riddler's Revenge last summer and I honestly can't remember it actually being painful. I don't remember too much about my experience on RR other than I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, and that it was my first stand up coasters. For ever B&M ride I've ever experienced, I can't remember one being as shaky, jerky and uncomfortable as Mantis.

Is it possible to fix this? I'm not sure what new trains could do for the ride (seeing that lately those haven't been the answer for any ride) or if maybe parts of the track could be replaced to make the ride experience more enjoyable. I know that steel doesn't really bend or get rough (like we'd see on a wooden coaster), but there has to be another option for Mantis.

Another thing that really surprised me was my friend saying that Chang never felt like that. Did they change something about them over the years to make them more enjoyable? After RR I always wondered why we didn't see more B&M standup coasters but now I feel that I'm beginning to see the reason why.....

^ Mantis is just too compact of a ride. I love Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mountain. The only "fix" for this ride is to stretch it out. That won't happen.

Yes, I rode Chang before it moved to Great Adventure as Green Lantern. It was smoother as Chang than it is now in New Jersey.

When I have ridden Mantis in the past, I always rode in the front (just like a wooden roller coaster that is deemed rough) & it usually wasn't too bad. This year we rode in the second seat because the line for the front was too long and it was baaaad. Three of us rode it and three of us got off with red ears and a headache. We all swore that we would not ride it again.

As many people have said before, you shouldn't have to ride in a specific seat in a specific way to get a good ride.

Summary = this coaster just plain sucks.

I guess I just got lucky last year because I had no problem with Mantis, and enjoyed it enough to ride it again. I wasn't in the very front, but both rides were in the first few rides. For a ride that gets a lot of hate I really didn't think it was all that bad!

I rode Mantis last week in the front and middle and I didn't have any complaints about it. I really enjoy Mantis.

It may just be the fact that stand-ups don't really bother me, but I enjoyed my last rides on Mantis. I rode in the front and back and experienced minimal rattle and only a couple of headbanging moments. The first half of the ride is super intense, fairly smooth, and really fun, but the MCBR slows the ride's pace to a crawl, and that's where most of the headbanging is. Overall, though, the ride is really not as bad as most make it out to be.

I've ridden three B&M standups and they were all equally horrible, maybe Georgia Scorcher was a little better than Vortex or Mantis. I do think Mantis is the worst non-kiddie coaster at the park and I think Cedar Fair should move it (give it to Valleyfair! It'd be the perfect addition there!) because you could fit something way better in thy spot. I honestly find it less pleasant than Mean Streak OR Iron Dragon, which are the two everyone wants to see ripped out. I vote they move Mantis, and in a few years when Iron Dragon gets relocated to the great theme park in the sky, Cedar Fair tries to fit something else there since correct me of I'm wrong, but the plots are adjacent. Wouldn't it be cool if try could fit two low-to-the-ground interacting coasters there? Maybe a B&M Minidiver and a Zierer elevated seating coaster weaving around each other?

I'm a bit biased from being on Mantis' crew last summer, but I now ride it every time I go to the park and it's always one of the most enjoyable rides of the day for me. Lots of fond memories come back every time I ride . Mantis and Shockwave are the only two stand-ups I've ridden though, and Mantis is the clear winner in that contest.

I've been on the three large-scale B&M standups, and I love all of them. I think if I had to put them in order, it would be Green Lantern > Riddler's Revenge > Mantis, but that's not to say I dislike Mantis, only that I like the other layouts better. (Also, on any given day, Lantern and Riddler's can totally swap places.) I've never had a problem on them, I think they're a lot of fun and I'm always sure to ride Green Lantern every time I'm at SFGAdv!

I've always wondered if it would be possible to run a floorless or a sit down train on a stand up coaster? Yeah I know some of the rider dynamics might be off a little bit but I feel like it could be done and would probably enhance that ride experience quite a bit.

Also, with all of the recent B&M's being turned around backwards I wonder how long before some attempts that with a stand-up? That might feel pretty wild.

I do have to say I rode mantis for the first time this year and I was really anticipating a good ride, I say that because (it was raining on the 4th of July, 3 times i believe) and when other rides were shutting down I still heard the roar of Mantis. I assumed it was because of popularity and I enjoyed that the line was rather short. Now getting on that thing, I had no problem with head banging. The problem I had with mantis was how it painfully put all the force on my legs. It felt like the muscles in my legs were being forced down to my feet. It was right about after the 2nd loop that i Decided to lift my legs because I couldn't take the Pain. Though I did LOVE they layout of mantis (in my mind having it all compact and close to the ground makes it actually like a little insect) It was quite painful to my legs. But after I lifted my legs (I kinda crossed them under that bicycle seat thing) I enjoyed my ride. To each their own, I also rode right before the fireworks of luminosity which was cool. hearing the music and seeing the lights right before we went down the hill was interesting. No matter what I enjoyed Mantis and dare I say it... I liked Mean Streak too *GASP* Of course neither of them are any where close to the Raptor, Maverick, Dragster, Millennium, Gatekeeper, etc... But they're still fun!

I never had much of a problem with standups... I ride Mantis a few times a year and always have a pretty good ride on it. I really like the ending of the ride personally. My favorite would have to be Green Lantern at SFGAdv though, followed by Georgia Scorcher. I actually did not like Riddlers Revenge at all though, go figure. It was running extremely rough/vibrationy though when we did ride it, so that could be why.

I like the standing sensation but I can see why many people don't like them... I would be all for converting Mantis into a sit down of some style though, for sure. I think if Cedar Point really wanted to B&M would... I don't believe all that "can't do it because of the heartline" theory... The wildfire trains for example are raised quite a bit up compared to Kumba and the old school B&M sitdown trains... I doubt the heartline would be THAT far off to be any issue. Cedar Point would just have to pay some $$$ for new trains basically.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_erie/whats-new-at-cedar-point-in-2014-its-extreme-makeover-cedar-point-edition

“It will be like the popular ABC show, ‘Extreme Makeover, Cedar Point Edition!’,” said spokesman Bryan Edwards.

Hmmmm, wonder what it will be? Blue Streak Midway? Wicked Twister Midway? Redoing Kiddie Kingdom? We will see on Tuesday!

Hmm. Interesting! It would be cool if the rumored dark ride when into the old pirate ride space next to Blue Streak. They could break up some of the concrete and put in some nice landscaping and trees, maybe even another ride or two! Tuesday will be exciting!

I think the trick to the b&m stand ups are to put your feet all the way back and lock them, and have the restraint pulled down far enough that your head is above it. Then there is no headbanging and all the g forces are on your bones instead of your muscles. That's how I rode apocalypse and found it very enjoyable..

From the park's Facebook page:

What's new in 2014? Here's your first "look." The official reveal happens on Tuesday, August 27!

thumb_cp_17.jpg

I'm starting to think this isn't a new "Attraction" at all. It looks like a picture of a renovated Hotel Breakers to be honest. Especially with that blue dot, which seems to be the old Oceania Stadium. This picture seems to focus more on the Hotel Breakers (where it is centered).

If not that than I can see some type of new / expanded Planet snoopy adjacent to Scrambler & Matterhorn, with the removal of Kiddy Kingdom.

(Some newer flats could really utilize that space, maybe with a Vekoma Suspended Family coaster. Who Knows!? )

Either way, this has something to do with the H. Breakers.

EDIT:

And if the Dark Ride rumors are accurate, this building may be the location.

Just my 2c.